Fordmods Logo

New tyres this week comming! 

Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Yeah i never liked the Turanza's they were just really nosiy when going around round-a-bouts and stuff and it used to piss me off immensly :roll: But yeah C-Drive are noisy when you hit the wite lines eh... Kinda sucks.

But yeah im still getting the Khumos on Wednesday because they have a good rep and they are a harder compound than the c-drives which is what im looking for.

Cheers for the reccomendations thou :P

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
im having second thoughts about getting smaller tyres too (possibly will get wheel spin more often) which isnt what i want. :roll:

From what Tim tells me you have trouble with that! :wink:

Maxxis have been making tyres for yonks, for BMX's and trail bikes, seem to be new to making them for cars though, but there prices are more than reasonmable (my 17"'s were cheaper than your 15"'s you've got quoted there), and I'm bloody impressed. i've had some Bridgestone and Dunlop sports series tyres previously (they were 15"'s) and they had nothing compared to these same price larger Maxxis.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
XRFan101 wrote:
im having second thoughts about getting smaller tyres too (possibly will get wheel spin more often) which isnt what i want. :roll:

Maxxis have been making tyres for yonks, for BMX's and trail bikes, seem to be new to making them for cars though, but there prices are more than reasonmable (my 17"'s were cheaper than your 15"'s you've got quoted there), and I'm bloody impressed. i've had some Bridgestone and Dunlop sports series tyres previously (they were 15"'s) and they had nothing compared to these same price larger Maxxis.

LOL that bloody Tim, my car was running really bad back then, a hole in the muffler badly tuned LPG system and old crappy spark plugs. And also the fact that i wasnt used to the car back then as well :roll: But yeah thats just my excuse, but the car does go ALO better now believe me.

Hmm if i could somehow get $2000 for some 17's or 18's then i would.. :roll:

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
XRFan101 wrote:

LOL that bloody Tim, my car was running really bad back then, a hole in the muffler badly tuned LPG system and old crappy spark plugs. And also the fact that i wasnt used to the car back then as well :roll: But yeah thats just my excuse, but the car does go ALO better now believe me.

Hmm if i could somehow get $2000 for some 17's or 18's then i would.. :roll:

ROFL im never gonna let ya forget about that andrew haha came all the way to SA and u could show us tasweigans how do a sick cook ay. why dont u get a set of ftr 16" rims ive seen a few around for sale lately

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

LOL yeah na im slowly gettting over that ne ways. But i wouldnt mind some FTR's OR finding out how much it is to get those 17' copies that Amber had on her EF not too long ago. :)

But yer if im gonna get 17's i will be gettting non-Fords ones as ive been flicking thru a few CSA and ROH catalouges and i have found some wicked looking mags. When i can afford it that is. :(

I would be happy with the FTR 16's then i can chuck even fatter tyres on them :twisted:

Next time i see ya i will do it properly :wink:

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

hmm might even be moving to adelaide soon, but yeah i wouldnt got the 17" copies of the ftr's they look s**t IMO the 16's are good they are 8" wide so u can get 235's on them. there is a set on ebay at 400 bucks atm

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Damn $400 thats darn good! Would want to be in good condition thou! Yeah just got the new tyres then Khumo PowerMax 769's in 215/60/15. These were actually more expensive than the Yoko C-Drives if i got the 225's insted $165 each :shock: LOL i would rather pay $142 :)

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:24 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

rapier wrote:
the 16's are good they are 8" wide so u can get 235's on them.

:shock:
Are we talking the ANZ FTR's, stock, or some other ripoff.
My ANZ one's are only 7", AFAIK.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah thats what i thought as well, doesnt matter if i can get a 8' set made up then yeah i will definately be doing that. :) Bigger tyres look sick mate :lol:

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Damn $400 thats darn good! Would want to be in good condition thou! Yeah just got the new tyres then Khumo PowerMax 769's in 215/60/15. These were actually more expensive than the Yoko C-Drives if i got the 225's insted $165 each :shock: LOL i would rather pay $142 :)

Uh oh..... I've had those tyres and they're awful! Whoever sold them to you as a decent tyre should be shot. Too late now though I suppose.

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Rapier wrote:
hmm might even be moving to adelaide soon, but yeah i wouldnt got the 17" copies of the ftr's they look s**t IMO the 16's are good they are 8" wide so u can get 235's on them. there is a set on ebay at 400 bucks atm

You can get a 235/60/16 on a 6.5" rim if you want...

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Why were the Kumos awful? I needed a tyre that was a harder compound and this was the best they could offer me without paying s**t. :?

They have been going good so far, so i will have to wait and see when it rains i guess. :roll:

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Why were the Kumos awful? I needed a tyre that was a harder compound and this was the best they could offer me without paying s**t. :?

They have been going good so far, so i will have to wait and see when it rains i guess. :roll:

I ran those tyres on my old Triumph TR7 in a 205/60/13 size. I got bagging from cornering because I couldn't run a high enough pressure (I was running 42psi cold on the old tryes, the Kumos could only handle 36 psi MAX) to compensate for the high profile and wide tyre on a narrow rim (rim was within reccomended range though)

Wet weather traction was lousy. Dry was ok, but the Toyo 600 F3 that had 1mm tread depth left @ replacement and were 5 years old had more grip in the wet and dry compared to the new Kumos and cornering response was much crisper with the Toyos compared to the Kumos.

That's my experience with them anyway. Yours might be better. They might like a softer suspension setup like the Falcon because the TR7 I ran them on had 280lbs springs on all 4 corners in a 1000kg car.

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hmm yeah i got told today to keep the kumos at 36psi or else the car will shred them with ease so i will be keeping that in check thats for sure.

Thanks for the cautions thou, hopefully after the next couple of weeks i wont be doing much driving anymore so all will be good. Gonna try and keep the XR6 Garaged for a while so i can work out the best way to deal with my lovely newly found problems lol. :roll:

Cheers

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:34 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BF XR8

WA, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
XRFan101 wrote:

I ran those tyres on my old Triumph TR7 in a 205/60/13 size. I got bagging from cornering because I couldn't run a high enough pressure (I was running 42psi cold on the old tryes, the Kumos could only handle 36 psi MAX) to compensate for the high profile and wide tyre on a narrow rim (rim was within reccomended range though)

Wet weather traction was lousy. Dry was ok, but the Toyo 600 F3 that had 1mm tread depth left @ replacement and were 5 years old had more grip in the wet and dry compared to the new Kumos and cornering response was much crisper with the Toyos compared to the Kumos.

That's my experience with them anyway. Yours might be better. They might like a softer suspension setup like the Falcon because the TR7 I ran them on had 280lbs springs on all 4 corners in a 1000kg car.

I got a quote through the guy at tyre power around the corner from me and he would do the following 225/60r15's for me:

Madisons for $99.00 each :P
Yokies for $120.00 each
Kumhos for $130.00 each (Same one you got :))
Toyos for $150.00 each

I ended up going for the Toyo 600 F3 after what ive heard about them. They are an awesome tyre in the dry and pretty reasonable in the wet as well. I will definately go another set of them as well!

Mind you crappy tyres in the past just about cost me my life and he knows about the incident so he looks out for me when i pop in there.

2006 BF XR8 - Lightning Strike with Orange Stripes - Herrod quad system with Herrod extractors, Herrod ram air intake kit, Coil overs, Whiteline swaybars, Kumho KU36's.

More mods to come! (3.73 Diff ratios)

Ex 97 EL Futura, 04 XR6 and 07 XR8 Owner.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next