power window jammed 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: power window jammed
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1999 AU1 5L Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

okay guys, so this problem developed about a month or so ago and i didnt really think anything of it, the window would get to about 1 inch from the top and stick a bit on the front side of the window(the part nearest the a pillar) but now it has gotten so bad that it only goes UP 1 inch, and basically comes off the back side of the window frame. it gets about half way up and then COMPLETELY jams, unless i use A LOT of force to wriggle it back in to place, and i mean A LOT. ill upload a photo to try and explain this better.

ive had the door trim off and tried to have a look what was wrong but i had no idea, anybody else have this problem and what did they do to fix it?

Post subject: Re: power window jammed
Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

u need top put some nulon ezi glide in the rubbers of the window

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

from memory when i had the trim off i sprayed some crc ezi-glide on the rubber tracks on either side, not sure if i went all the way down, and it appears to be sticking from the get-go..

is there a track or rail in the middle that supports the window and makes it go up straight? if there is i think it could be something to do with that as its more like the window is 'turning' instead of just going straight up

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

for my NF when i had this trouble to get it to work properly as mine was as bad as yours i had to spray the nulon directly into the rubber and rub it clean with a cloth it took many goes for me as all sorts of dirt that i had no idea were there came out of the middle of the rubber that the window glides up and down in it takes some time and a whole can (did for me) but it should get them going

i also sprayed it on the edges of the windows them selves and cleaned them as well ull prob have to run them and up and down and everything to get this working it will take a few hrs to get going

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

yeh ill grab a can before work tonight and give it a go when i get home or tomorrow even.. ill post up how it goes

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:06 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The bracket that holds the window to the reg can move around too, as the holes are slightly elongated.

If you take the door trim off you will see 2 bolts holding the metal window bracket to the regulator bracket.

Lower the window half way, loosen the bolts, push/tilt the window towards the back and tighten the bolts.

Between that and lubing the channels properly, it should fix things. Keeping the channels lubed will help the most.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:15 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

is that the track thats going down the centre? when i had the trim off the door i saw that, but the window appeared to be glued into the bracket with some black goo s**t?

i'll have a look tomorrow during the day and get back to you!

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:35 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah, the track down the centre... The window will be glued to a bracket... But that bracket is then bolted to another bracket that attaches to that track.

You are looking for 2 x 10mm bolts from memory.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

agreed, try adjusting it first

.....then clean all that caked up grease youve sprayed down the tracks with degreaser and cloth covered screwdriver, and rinse out & let fully dry

then only use a dry lubricant to lubricate the tracks such as graphite powder

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:18 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Thanks heaps mate, about to go try it out now

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

okay so i had the door trim off, cleaned the rubber seals and put some dry lubricant in there, tried the thing with the bolts and everything, but with no avail.

i think i have found the problem though. the two little saddle things that the window is glued in to, im pretty sure the one on the back side has come unstuck or worn away or something, cause when i put it up to half way and the window is out of the back seal, i push it back in and the window goes back down into that saddle thing.. hard to explain and i forgot to take pictures

is there any way that I can fix this myself without having to take it to a window repairer? it seems like a pretty easy task..

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:56 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Hey Dude,

Looking at that photo it looks like the window is not in the rails at all, i would try putting the window back in again. It should not move on an angle at all. It should only move up or down.

Cheers,

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:39 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

yeah mate, my dad got a caulking tube of the glue that car window repairers use, were going to re-glue it in sunday arvo, im confident that will fix the problem as it was lifting out of the holder thing and thats why its going like that

thanks for everyones help!

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

so ive solved the problem guys, it wasnt the tracks, it WAS one of the two plastic things that are glued to the window and that are also attatched to the middle track.. the glue had come out of one, so we unclipped it and lifted the window up, cleaned the old glue out and off the window, re glued it and its now drying.. we also put some graphite on the seals, im 100% sure this will have fixed the problem

cheers for everyones help!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]