Fordmods Logo

BA 'Auto Windows Up' 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

I did some tests last weekend, now that I have the M and F connectors from Aerpro.

When the buttons are pressed, the lines to the Power Window Motors are definitely switched from GND to the +ve supply that comes from the Power Windw Fuses. I can map the switching of all windows up and down, and the provision of voltage on the Child Lock line to the rear doors.

I feel comfortable now that I don't need any relays and that I can switch this stuff as a need to. All that's left for me now is to see how the door-lock actuator is switched and I can then focus on making sure the unit I've bought works as I think it should (The doco for the unit is the worst I have ever seen....!)

I was hoping to combine any work I do in this door with replacing the Door Harness, Mirror and installed a Mirror Modulator to attempt to add memory mirrors. I haven't quite given up on that, but finding mirrors is going to be very very difficult.

Lukeyon

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Fairmont

WA, Australia

I put these in my AU when I bought it 18 months ago - fantastic device.

It had to be wired into the door locks - which are constant negative, one cycled positive when the door is to lock, the other to unlock.

I tapped into the lock line with the positive trigger. The windows will wind up whenever the door is locked - regardless of how (keyfob, push the button, rest on it with your arm)

2 months ago they stopped working. It turns out the Jaycar units (which look similar to the one you have) aren't designed to pull as much current as the windows require - the contacts on the loom had blackened to a point where they weren't conducting anymore. I had to file it off and they started working again.

You will need to run a power line into the door and that will need to be fused in the cabin. I found a spare fuse in my interior panel that had constant 12v so I just used that.

If you have any questions you can pm me.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

AU and BA are just about as similar as you can get except for maybe a few things:

(1) I think, the BA has a separate fuse for the rear windows whereas the AU has the one fuse for all 4

(2) The BA triggers power for the Windows by a line from the BEM. Not sure if the AU does any of that.

Still deciding whether to provide a ghost-trigger to use the factory power supply and fuses, or to run a separate fusedpower line as you've done. Your option may win as I'm not clear if the unit has a single output line that goes high for the entire time the windows are being lifted.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
AU and BA are just about as similar as you can get except for maybe a few things:

(1) I think, the BA has a separate fuse for the rear windows whereas the AU has the one fuse for all 4

(2) The BA triggers power for the Windows by a line from the BEM. Not sure if the AU does any of that.

Still deciding whether to provide a ghost-trigger to use the factory power supply and fuses, or to run a separate fusedpower line as you've done. Your option may win as I'm not clear if the unit has a single output line that goes high for the entire time the windows are being lifted.

Lukeyson

The AU does have one circuit breaker for all 4. Not sure about the BA

The AU also controls power to the windows via the BEM - powers off when the car locks.

Also good work with the harnesses, I cut and soldered mine but it is a great idea to make it modular.

You have just given me a great idea to stop the windows winding up when the door is locked with the button. I will knock this circuit together and test it as soon as I find the time. When the BEM turns the power windows on the capacitor will charge. Once charged the circuit is armed. When the power windows are turned off (key off for 30 seconds or doors locked via central locking), the capacitor will discharge via the 100k resistor. This hooks into the positive trigger on the auto up which will wind up the windows.
Once the capacitor is charged it should not draw enough current to intefere with the operation of the windows.

Can anyone confirm for me if this would work? I wonder if operating the windows would cause the capacitor to discharge?

Attachments:
detect_lock.gif
detect_lock.gif [ 1.91 KiB | Viewed 1768 times ]

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I just pulled mine out of the AU. Some windows were no longer working, or only working intermittently. Also the auto up function was working only intermittently.

When I took off the door trims to inspect the module I found the connector at the end of the supplied wiring loom had burnt out on most of the pins making contact with the module. It's a Jaycar unit and I'm sure it had a lifetime warranty, but I can't find the warranty card.

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

i've been having a quick think about this in relation to the windows going up when you lock the car from the inside with your arm or something.

If this problem hasn't been solved... why not use a signal from the car so that the central control unit (whatever and wherever it may be) knows when your in the car... so maybe accesories 12V signal or even the signal that the seat belt is connected... just a thought

Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Na fairlane, xe 351 ute

NSW, Australia

good thinking i was wondering about that as well

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars
Fg xr6t, 80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ba mk 2 xr6

VIC, Australia

sounds confusing, what if doors lock and the kids hands are out the window :O

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:48 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Kid's won't do it a third time.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

that's really easy, you can do it with 2 relays...
I could draw a circuit? I did this for the lockout on the secure ward at St VINCENTS so you can't open both inner and outer high security airlock doors at once.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:34 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA2 XT

WA, Australia

hey luke, any progress?

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba wagon

VIC, Australia

Hi people. Just a couple of quick ideas that i have used when doing these things. 1 Connect the earth wire on window module to the ignition wireing (at mirror) using a 3 amp diode (to stop power flowing back into the module) this works on most cars. 2 use a small changeover relay on the B+ wire into the module driven from the grey/yellow wire to stop the module working when power is supplied to switch by bem. michael.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba wagon

VIC, Australia

More on method 2. This gives you thi abillity to leave a window (or windows) down or at any height by setting the height and locking the car within about 25 seconds of opening a door (while the window switch has power from the bem. Michael

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2