Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: BA Spotlight Switch into a fairmont ghia
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF XR6 5SPD, EF FAIRMONT 5LTR

VIC, Australia

howdy all,

i have imbarked on buying a new car... still have the eb ghia and new addition is a 03 Fairmont ghia. Blue Peral with black leather blah blah.. but 1 thing that is pissing me off is the Corning Lights..
i want to wire them up as spoties (ie Xr6) and use the factory switch..
i can get a switch no problems but wat is the hassel it takes to put the switch in?? and wire them up??

ne help is good help!!! lol

thanks Nick

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Many of the switches have a custom-pinout on the back, but I believe that the Fog Lamp and Traction Control switches both use different colured 10-pin plugs that look identical to the ICC Video Input plugs.

So you should be able to use the 10-pin plug from the Aerpro 711761 part. Just go to your nearest supercheap auto and ask for that part.

Where you get 12V from, how to get them to switch on or off with the ignition and how to illuminate them is up to you.

For lights I'd suggest tapping the little light that is strapped to the back of your 'Power Socket' harness in behind the tissue box.

For Power there's a little 4-pin female plug that can be used to provide ignition-switched 12V. It is normally used to power a mobile phone kit (or the Preamplied Auxillary Audio Input booster). The 4-pin socket is an industry standard 4-pin you can buy from any auto parts shop - supercheap included.

Luke

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

i can help you out with the switch i reckon!

Nicko

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA

VIC, Australia

cutting the dash open is a b**ch if you're adding a whole new switch, they go on the left and right side of the dash in relation to the steering wheel. Just drop down your local ford dealership to see exactly the position! I took a photo of where and measured it up and just cut an X into the dash and removed the excess and it slotted in fine.

mmmmmmmmmunchy!

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

efnick_v8 I was a bit annoyed when I got the ghia bout the corner lamps, I plan on later on getting the typhoon bodykit, but I want the factory foglight switch :D. Might be easier to get the harness from an xr if possible.

2003 BA Fairmont Ghia V8 www.bseries.com.au/acey xr8 catback

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:43 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

you could also try a territory fog lamp install wiring kit. I dont know it for a fact but im 99% sure a TX wiring kit should do the trick for you

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

QLD, Australia

Cornering lamps aim out to the side of the road, thats the way the lense is angles. Its not going to be much use to have them as foglights. Just take it to an auto electrician if you just want it for looks.
I just bought a set off a mate that are the recalled ones that aim straight forward. Cost $120 for both lights and came with the loom so they come on with the parkers.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I have a renewed interest in this.

Does anyone know of the differences in the wiring, and what modules are added, to make the cornering lamps work?

I'm figuring that because I have BA Workshop manuals that I can't see any reference to the Cornering Lamp setup, since they were added afterwards.

But having individual lights means the need for having separate power feeds to the lamps at some point - and there's only a common power/gnd for both foggies in the standard and lwb ba manuals.

I can only see the one 'fog lamp' output on the IC. There's only the one 'Fog Lamp' trigger line through Dash Harness 14K024, and then only one trigger line down through RHS Engine Bay Harness 14K011 to the PDB (Power DIstribution Box) to trigger the Fog Relay. From there I can only see one line back out which is split inside the RHS Engine Bay Harness to power the Fog Lights.

I guess my ultimate question is, what exactly is in the Accessory kit "BA 13200 BK1T" that adds cornering lights?

My guess would be:
(1) New Harness to feed the fog/cornering lights separately
(2) Module to take the indicators as a trigger, and normal fog-light relay as power source, to power the front/cornering lights individually.

Is there any way to get pics/kit list/wiring diagrams for the BA Cornering Lamp kit?

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Sorry, fog-lamp line on the IC is the INPUT to show the jewel.

It's the Fog Lamp Switch that provides the trigger for the Fog Relay in the PDB in the engine bay.

My bad.

Oh, and the reason for my renewed curiosity is that I have a BF2 fairlane dash loom that was stated to have the 'Cornering Lamps' integrated. Now since i think that cornering lamps are all part of the RHS engine bay loom I have my doubts as to the appropriatness of that claim. This is all part of my research into doing the Dual Zone ICC upgrade....(which could be done with the loom I have from FTG, but that's just not as cool now is it...)

Part number is BF2-14K024-A in case <cough> someone has access to a current version of microcat and can lookup the description for me.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

GlennBA wrote:
Cornering lamps aim out to the side of the road, thats the way the lense is angles. Its not going to be much use to have them as foglights. Just take it to an auto electrician if you just want it for looks.
I just bought a set off a mate that are the recalled ones that aim straight forward. Cost $120 for both lights and came with the loom so they come on with the parkers.

you mean the ones that were recalled because they didnt quite meat ADR's ??

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You know, I feel quite stupid now. The Cornering Lamp stuff IS in the BA Workshop Manual, clear as day.

What they've done is run new lines from the indicator switches, through the corner lamps, then through the 'Fog/Turn Lamp' relay to GND. The Relay is triggered by either the low or high beam lines - so turning lights only trigger when the lights are on.

With 'Fog' Lights, the Lights are hard-wired thrugh the secondary. The relay is triggered by the Dash Switch, which is powered by the TAIl relay. I'm not yet sure if the TAIL relay is only on when the lights are on.

So I'll need to think about this some more...

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I'm looking for someone who might have access to the wiring harness from the right side of the engine bay on an XR Falcon and would be willing to take pics of ALL of the connectors under the Power Distrbibution Box

Either that, or someone who knows what I need to do to access the bottom of the Power Distribution Box safely.

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF MKIII XR inspired wagon

QLD, Australia

Leroy wrote:
GlennBA wrote:

you mean the ones that were recalled because they didnt quite meat ADR's ??
Yep, that'd be the ones....I had them on my BA ute before I did an XR conversion on it....cheers Linz.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So, er, were there any bits tha you had to discard in order to do the conversion? <he says spongeingly....>

Lukeyson

Post subject: Re: BA Spotlight Switch into a fairmont ghia
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF MKIII XR inspired wagon

QLD, Australia

efnick_v8 wrote:
howdy all,

i have imbarked on buying a new car... still have the eb ghia and new addition is a 03 Fairmont ghia. Blue Peral with black leather blah blah.. but 1 thing that is pissing me off is the Corning Lights..
i want to wire them up as spoties (ie Xr6) and use the factory switch..
i can get a switch no problems but wat is the hassel it takes to put the switch in?? and wire them up??

ne help is good help!!! lol

thanks Nick
Be warned...I've seen 3 cars with this conversion done and because the bulb holders are plastic, the heat from the higher wattage bulbs that are used in cornering lamps (18w?) over parking lamps(5w), the bulb holders were fried after a period of time. (Similar effect in high mount stop light bulb holders)...Cheers Linz.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next