ef fairmont climate control vacuum 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ef fairmont climate control vacuum
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

The little slit on the bottom of the face of my climate control unit constantly blows air. I noticed today when you accelerate the air stops..... why is it doing this? I have changed the control unit and its still doing it. The air that comes out of the vents doesn't have puch power if that helps too and with the noise stopping when you accelerate I would think its taking vacuum away from the engine(?). Its on a 1994 ef fairmont

Post subject: Re: ef fairmont climate control vacuum
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well its defiantely vacuum issues.... Could it be the vacuum gauge on the side of the heater tap or is that only for heating? Even with the climate control off it still blowing air but stops when accelerating

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1996 EFII Gli OLympic Classic

WA, Australia

I have this and I'm buggered if I know why it's doing it. Having said that so long as I have my air-con I don't care lol

I would be curious to find out the reason though

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The little slit is supposed to suck air for the CC unit to sample the cabin air temperature.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ok, so the dusty s**t that was behind the hole was actually some kind of filter???? Maybe having the filter stops the sound? The other cc I had still made the sound with the dusty s**t in it, so is it suppose to be more like a filter than a powder?

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

My el ghia has started doing this too. It's pretty loud and it has not done it before. Also my mates nf fairlane is doing it too.

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

The "slit" doesn't have a filter (well, on the three I've had apart it didn't... my memory is pretty crap though) but behind the slit sits a little sensor (part of climate control mechanism and faceplate). The vacuum line from there runs behind stereo, behind the glovebox and is then spliced into a sort of junction box that is part of the heater box unit. The vacuum from there is either taken from the front right guard (vacuum reservoir) or through the firewall to the a** end of the broad band manifold.

Why is it blowing?

Beyond my logical expertise. Maybe another line has come off. Do all the blend door options still work? Most of these are control via vacuum lines too.

When originally converting the Futura to climate control I had a bit of trouble wrestling the dash into position with all these cables and clips. Ended up with a sucking noise from behind stereo. Turns out I'd pulled apart the vac to sniffer. But, the sniffer still appeared to work. Try checking cabin temperature via climate control. Then try pulling the vac tube out the back of climate control and crimping it.

Don't know enough to really help out here. But do have a car with no dash in it a few kilometres down the road which could refresh my memory as to where those vac lines go....

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Still no idea how to quieten it down. I have pulled mine apart and placed an unused smoke butt filter unwrapped in it behind the sensor..... still noisy but not as loud. I am thinking I may also put one before the sensor and see how that goes. I just dont want to make the climate control's sensor read poorly so I am trying little bit at a time because if it turns out the noise stops but the cc dont work properly then its been a waste of time

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

AM fairly sure my climate control worked reasonably accurately without the line hooked up at all. So crimping it would stop the air blowing out entirely and stop the noise entirely. Give it a day or two - Someone will know for fact what and how this is.

I'll go trace the air path next time I am at the car.

If I remember.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

the vac has to be definately from the manifold or direct off the motor because the sound stops when you accelerate, almost like it shuts off when the extra vacuum pressure is needed. Funny though, when travelling at a consistant speed the sounds still there. If you put your finger over the slit on the cc the sound changes, so its definately coming from there. Its just annoying, like a rattle in your car that you cant find to fix

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

It's not blowing either. It is sucking. And it is pissing me orf

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

sorry yes sucking. Turn the stereo on and you cant hear it, but you know its still doing it even though it can be heard...... its really f**k annoying hey

Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

For f*sake people.

The difference between BLOWING and SUCKING when talking about a vacuum line is HUGE. If you can't tell the difference, please put a bit of thin paper over it. If it is BLOWING it will be pushed IN to the cabin. If it is SUCKING it will be sucked onto the hole.

It is supposed to SUCK.

If it is noise making, then somewhere further down the line a restrictor has failed or some such. Maybe it has sucked some filth into it which is making a noise. Either way, pull out the vacuum cleaner and try sucking the hell out of it. Then try squirting compressed air into it (bike tyre pump)... And then simply try pulling the unit out and seeing if the hoses are connected properly etc etc.

And then, just leave the bloody hose off the back and put some tape over it. Sorted.

At the end of the day - *** PULL THE UNIT OUT AND SEE FOR YOURSELF *** It takes about half an hour (which is less time than it takes most lousy typists to type some sort of rude reply to this message)

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
For f*sake people.

The difference between BLOWING and SUCKING when talking about a vacuum line is HUGE. If you can't tell the difference, please put a bit of thin paper over it. If it is BLOWING it will be pushed IN to the cabin. If it is SUCKING it will be sucked onto the hole.

It is supposed to SUCK.

If it is noise making, then somewhere further down the line a restrictor has failed or some such. Maybe it has sucked some filth into it which is making a noise. Either way, pull out the vacuum cleaner and try sucking the hell out of it. Then try squirting compressed air into it (bike tyre pump)... And then simply try pulling the unit out and seeing if the hoses are connected properly etc etc.

And then, just leave the bloody hose off the back and put some tape over it. Sorted.

At the end of the day - *** PULL THE UNIT OUT AND SEE FOR YOURSELF *** It takes about half an hour (which is less time than it takes most lousy typists to type some sort of rude reply to this message)

Crack the s**t mate, sorry to offend you. I have already pulled out the whole dash and cleaned the single hose that connects to the back of the climate control and cleaned it from the climate control side to where it plugs into the heater box. See forums join people together with common interests i.e Fords. The idea that there could be another person out there who has come accross the same problem and has the answer means you dont always have to do the hard yards to get a result. I am sure you have been helped on here before in regards to your car/s, so have a coke and a smile f**k. Jesus

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

79raven wrote:
fiend wrote:
For f*sake people.

The difference between BLOWING and SUCKING when talking about a vacuum line is

Crack the s**t mate, sorry to offend you. I h.........smile f**k. Jesus

Hey - Like I said, BLOWING AND SUCKING is different as CLIMBING or DESCENDING. If you're going to ask for help, at least tell us if you are climbing a hill or falling off it.

The two are very different. You should know how to check.

And yes, having used forums for quite some time I am aware of what the are, and are not, good for. Thanks for the heads up. You're obviously very clever.

PS - You also missed the three or four paragraphs after where I said "for sucksake" where there was some useful information. Try harder.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next