Fordmods Logo

Fitting AU Momo Shifter (Auto) to EF can be done!!! 

Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

finally fitted my new momo s/wheel. Excuse the messy car!! lol

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 2 images

QLD, Australia

Nice work Happy, now all you need to do is secure yourself an AU Black leather shifter and I will tell you how to put it on. Hopefully I will have some time over the weekend to put the intructions together.

Mick

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I'm interested in doing this

Can you post instructions so we know how to do it?

And where did you buy the shifter from and how much?

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

Mute: https://www.autotek.com.au/shoponline/productDisplay.cfm?action=display&merchID=383

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

They look like 5-speed shifters to me??

I was after the auto one..

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

so, does anyone have any instructions on how to do this?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

yer instructions hehe:
fuzion you know u want to write some more docco :P

Post subject: AU to EF Shifter Conversion
Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:04 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Anyone who would like a copy of the instructions on how I did this can email me and I will send them. (Please provide valid email address to send to) I am going away on the 3rd January for 2 weeks but will attend to any requests when I get back.

Mick

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Cant you just post them here??

I'll have a copy of the instructions though

nforsyth AT gmail.com

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

if anyone wants, the instructions have been emailed to me as well, so if someone wants them whilst mick (iceblue2) is away, i can forward them on - if thats ok with mick! :P i will be fitting an AU XR shifter to my EF in the next week or so hopefully, so will let you all know how i go :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

You can e-mail them to me :)

Also, take pics when you install the shifter :D

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

will be doing as such. i'll be getting a spare EF shifter, as that we can rip it apart with no qualms in case we stuff something up! :P so *hopefully* i'll have the AU XR leather shifter fitted, with pics to put the doco together, by this time next week! :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Post subject: Re:Momo Shifter Modifications
Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

For those who are interested, here are my instructions. For anyone else who might have done this you might like to add something.

Instructions for fitting AU Shifter to EF Falcon/Futura/Fairmont/Ghia

The whole process is quite simple, but take your time and you will get a perfect result as I have.

You will need to utilise your old EF Shifter, or grab a second hand one from a wrecker. If you take a look at the two you will see that the EF shifter has a thread in the handle so it can screw on to the shaft. The idea is to replicate the thread inside the AU Shifter. This is done by taking the thread out of your old EF shifter (grind it, or file it until you can remove it). When you have done this you will also notice there is a round piece of orange coloured plastic at the the top of the EF shaft, I am sure this is a guide for the rod that is used to pushed down to select gears.

Because the metal thread housing is actually thicker than the inside of the AU shifter you will need to file it down until it fits snug inside. Also I used a product called "Knead It" which is a plastics filler that hardens quite fast. I used this to fashion a one piece bullet shape with the orange button and the metal thread housing (with the orange part at the top) .

When you remove the button from your EF, you will see how it operates. The rod that pushes down into the box puts pressure on a small lever that sits at the top of the orange plastic part at the top of the thread. What we need to do now is to hollow out the AU shifter to accommodate the button from the EF. The best way to do this is to use a variable speed drill with a fine drill bit. Drill down around the edges of the solid part of the AU shifter at small intervals, almost like a dotted line if you like. But be careful not to send your drill bit thru the other side of the AU shifter ( I did this but luckily didn't go thru too far and it isn't noticeable). Once you have drilled these holes, I used a thin bladed chisel to remove the solid plastic from inside the AU shifter. You will notice the EF shifter has a guide channel and a stopper that fits snugly into the end of the button when it is seated properly. It is not necessary to get this part perfect, all you need to make sure of is that the lever on the EF button finishes up resting over the hole where the orange guide is. If you can achieve this then you have successfully adapted your AU shifter to work on an EF.

To get the height right do not secure the thread inside the AU shifter straight away. The idea is to screw it on first and then push down on the Shifter until your button pushes out of the shifter head thus giving it the right amount of spring to work in and out. Once you have done this you can drill a hole (using the existing hole in the AU Shifter as a guide) so you can use the screw to secure it to the shaft.

Hope these instructions aren't too vague, but if you use them in conjunction with my pictures you might get a better understanding of how it was done.

Mick

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH Ute

VIC, Australia

has anyone tried just using the nut at the base of the ef shifter instead of using the thread out of the centre??

The Ute with the Most

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next