Fordmods Logo

ICC upgrade question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: ICC upgrade question
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:19 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi there guys :)

First off all I would like to say that these forums are fantastic. Although this is my first post I've spent the last couple of weeks trawling through posts to trying to learn as much as I can about my new car (as well as getting sidetracked often with very interesting build threads). This forum has been invaluable. So thanks to all contributors.

Recently I picked up an '06 BF XT Mk1. Since I am holidays and I have a bunch of spare time I've been having a bit of fun doing it up a little. Nothing worthy of pics yet (so far just some alloys, a couple of exterior chrome bits, dash clock, leather steering wheel/shifter etc) but recently I focused my attention on the ICC. All I really wanted out of an upgrade was a colour screen and as such I was finding it hard to justify forking out 7 or 800 bucks for a suitable replacement unit. After making several phone calls and firing off a bunch of emails, I eventually picked up an ICC from an 06 BF XR6 from allford for $275. The cheap price was due to the fact that it was missing the CD player.

Anyway, to cut this potentially long story short, I brought it home and transplanted my original CD player, remote sensor and BEM into it. Now I knew there was a good chance that it wasn't going to be that easy but I love to just dive into things and deal with any problems as I encounter them. I then whacked the new unit back into the car and started her up successfully. Basically everything is working (radio, aircon, central locking etc) except for the colour screen. I have double checked my work and every cable is where it should be and every connector is properly plugged in.

My question is, what have I neglected to do? Do I need Ford to reprogram my original BEM? Should I be using the BEM that came with the NEW unit (which would need attention from Ford as well of course)? My original BEM (in the unit now) and the BEM that came with the new ICC are both electrically identical. They are both cream coloured hi-series "green" coded BEMs.

I suspect that what is happening here is that my old (original) BEM may still be trying to communicate with the original smaller LCD screen which is why the new screen isn't working, but I'm probably wrong about that. Aren't the smarts for all that part of the screen itself? At this stage I have a limited understanding of what is going on behind the scenes. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: ICC upgrade question
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hmmm, ok. Stumbled across a couple of posts in the ASL automedia forum (over at fordforums) and learned that it's the CD player/radio that drives the screen. Makes perfect sense now that I think about it. I guess I am now going to have to go and find one that supports a colour screen. Should be an interesting adventure :)

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

lol good luck mate, you sound like you know what your doing :-) also those mods you have done so far are definitley worthy of a pics post. May as well start your build thread now rather than what i am going to have to do and that is think back to when i did everything and then post it :P

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Good news. ASL Automedia were able to reconfigure my existing CD/Radio module to output to a colour TFT screen. Spoke to "Sam" on the phone earlier today who invited me to drive down and he did it on the spot. Took 20 minutes and cost $70.00. Friendly guy, great service. So in the end the total cost of my ICC upgrade came to $345.00. Very happy.

Last night was a bit of an adventure though. After encountering a comment over at fordfurms by one of the ASL reps that implied that all CD/Radio modules could be configured to support a TFT screen, being the old school computer tech that I am I stripped mine down completely hoping to find some jumpers to play with. There were none. Makes sense I guess, being that we aren't in the 80's anymore :P The configuration needs to be done via a software interface, presumably using special Ford tools (or some mad skillz that I don't have myself).

Anyway, my mission of not spending 7 or 800 bucks on a complete second hand replacement unit has been successful. This has resulted in warm and fuzzy feelings :)

As an addendum, having stripped down and rebuilt an ICC more than once now (even had the CD/radio module disassembled completely as previously mentioned) I can't understand what all the fuss is with not turning these units upside down. I didn't encounter anything that looked particularly susceptible and at one time or another had every individual component turned upside down for varying periods of time. I can only imagine that due the construction of the unit as a whole there might be some structural elements that do not react well to being upside down for extended periods, or perhaps it's all specifically related to the 6 Stacker units?

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:39 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

cainn24 wrote:
As an addendum, having stripped down and rebuilt an ICC more than once now (even had the CD/radio module disassembled completely as previously mentioned) I can't understand what all the fuss is with not turning these units upside down. I didn't encounter anything that looked particularly susceptible and at one time or another had every individual component turned upside down for varying periods of time. I can only imagine that due the construction of the unit as a whole there might be some structural elements that do not react well to being upside down for extended periods, or perhaps it's all specifically related to the 6 Stacker units?

It's regarding the six-stacker (it messes up the loader mechanism), and the workshop manual specifically says not to lay the ICC face done (only to prevent scratches on the visible part)

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Picked up an ICC wiring loom with a clock connector from ASL yesterday because I wanted to hook up my analogue dash clock the factory way. Up till now it's just been sitting in the dash waiting for me to give it some attention. After swapping in the new loom and hooking everything up, the clock keeps time but does not illuminate with the rest of the instrumentation.

As previously mentioned I have a hi-series BEM. The ICC itself has manual climate control. The loom I swapped in has the connector for the auto-climate control ICC's but it's not being used of course. Does anyone have any ideas?

As my car is currently under a very decent extended manufacturers warranty, I'd like to keep everything behind the ICC. As I've replaced the entire unit myself it's my responsibility. I just don't want to give anyone an excuse to chuck a hissy fit over some instrument cluster wiring hacks if I need to make a claim for some auto-electric work at some point in the future.

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:22 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

I think the clock relies on a high series cluster for illumination.

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Pulled out a multimeter and found 12v on the main power line and 12v on the park lamps illumination line (when on) but discovered that the negative dimmer line is not active which is obviously why I am not getting any illumination. For now I've just made up a little adapter that grounds the illumination line which I can easily remove leaving the original connector intact. I can live with only having full illumination as I never have anything dimmed anyway. I'll get around to figuring out a fully functional solution next time I can be bothered removing the ICC again.

To that eventual end, is it simply the fact that I do not have the additional connector for the dual-zone ICC's hooked up that is preventing the negative dimmer line from being passed to the clock loom?

(Yeah, I'm posting at 4am again. This is what happens when I'm on holidays :P)

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Territory

VIC, Australia

Cainn24, does this mean that if i get hold of just the screen and visit ASL with $70 i can upgrade my ICC too?
Do you have any photos of the screen? Part numbers? Manufacturer?
Maybe we can buy that screen elsewhere or use another similar size screen that can take the video input from the CD player.

Any Ideas boys? I love a good hack.

regards

BigB

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

BigB wrote:
Cainn24, does this mean that if i get hold of just the screen and visit ASL with $70 i can upgrade my ICC too?

Even second-hand colour screens are expensive. I believe ASL sell them for over $400. If you're on a budget like I am you might want to do what I did and contact a bunch of wreckers and hope you get lucky. If you do find one then yes, ASL can configure your existing CD/Radio module to support it. They charged me $70. You'll also need an ICC fascia that is designed to accommodate the larger screen. The beauty of doing it this way is that you're still using your own BEM, remote sensor and CD/Radio module so you don't need to get anything reset.

Also, ASL will likely charge you more if you need their assistance with the removal and re-installation of your ICC. If you can take care of that part yourself like I did they shouldn't charge you anymore than they charged me. Best to give them a call before you go down there in any case.

Quote:
Do you have any photos of the screen? Part numbers? Manufacturer?
Maybe we can buy that screen elsewhere or use another similar size screen that can take the video input from the CD player.

I don't have part numbers I'm afraid. Lukeyson did however mention on these forums a while ago that he had found an alternative supplier for the colour screens that was a little cheaper. You could try sending him a private message but I don't think he's posted for a while.

Your other option is to pick up a complete replacement unit off eBay. FTG Auto sell them with a listing price of $800 or so but with a best offer option. You might be able to grab one for a little over $700 if you're lucky. The ones FTG sell have already been reset so they should just plug in and work. If you're more patient I've seen second-hand premium dual-zone units with colour screens and 6 stackers go for less than $600, but a visit to Ford would no-doubt be required so you have to factor that into the cost as well.

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Fairmont Ghia V8

NSW, Australia

Hi Folks,

I have just swapped out a faulty ICC in my BA fairmont (premium sound/colour/dual zone).

Thankyou to everyone on here for the information about the process, especially lukeyson, it was invaluable.

Everything is working well, EXCEPT the steering wheel audio controls are now completely kaput !.

This problem presented immediately after the ICC swap, so Im pretty sure its related.

The cruise control buttons work fine.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance !

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:19 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

TopperHarley wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have just swapped out a faulty ICC in my BA fairmont (premium sound/colour/dual zone).

Thankyou to everyone on here for the information about the process, especially lukeyson, it was invaluable.

Everything is working well, EXCEPT the steering wheel audio controls are now completely kaput !.

This problem presented immediately after the ICC swap, so Im pretty sure its related.

The cruise control buttons work fine.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance !

massive thread mine. lol.

the stereo and cruise controls on the wheel are completely different circuits, so that doesn't tell us anything.

if you've got a multimeter, you can check if there's 5v on the stereo control wire, that'd confirm if the ICC is connected and working.

the wire can be found under the steering column, and is Red with White stripe. in the 10-pin (only 5 used) connector going to the steering column. there's also a handy black wire in the plug for ground to test against.

if there's not 5v there when the ICC is on, it's either broken, or not connected properly - the big push in connector behind the ICC can be tricky to get right.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]