Fordmods Logo

retro fit electric window winders 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: retro fit electric window winders
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I have a 72 galaxie 4 door that sometime in the future I would like to fit elec windows to. It is a cool cruisey car and could do with it but has manual winders only. I have a set of electric seats from an LTD to fit once i've finished of fitting a rebuilt motor (arrgh!!) and a basic aftermarket central locking kit to put in as well, so I'm trying to get there eventually.
Does anybody out there know of or can recommend a suitable kit for this?
Is there an old aussie ford that will have gear that matches? I like the old school chrome type switches so I'm sure a mid 70's Australian LTD could do that (even though they are probably a bit more fiddly to keep working). A friend with a statesman said his were a pig to keep going sometimes due to the little brushes/contacts corroding slightly, and I don't see why early fords of the same era would be any better.
Should I go with a full regulator set up (although this may be hard to match and will still be old or hideously expensive) or one of the aftermarket types that basically bolt to the original winder spline? Cost is an option here as there are a lot of things I would like to do on it (like all projects), so the old method of making something else (read cheaper or cooler )fit suits me. These galaxies had a lot of the same stuff as Thunderbirds so that does broaden the scope a bit, and I wouldnt be surprised if Lincoln gear matches too, but obviously age/availability and cost start coming in with these models. Any ideas anyone??

Post subject: Re: retro fit electric window winders
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:36 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

nothing from anyone??

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

G'day have you considered looking for somebody wrecking one, not sure if the later ones were speced the same, my mate 59 i think 500xl has elec seats and windows, 3 spd352 redconvertible coupe, f**k that things cool.

Other thought is as my mate did with his hilux, bit of cut and welding to use sv21 camry motors on his 99 lux.
Make your own looms obviously. Just mke sure it can cope with the current drawn.

I'd love elecy windows, and elecy bench for my wagon, not sure if I'll have much luck finding an elecy bench though, haha.

p.s. on the switch issue, I always wanted to use the winder handles set with some kind of rocker switch, so it looked factory, well that was the plan on the old wagon, no elecy option for those, not sure about my current one.
but obviously check out the option list.
P.s. where's the pics??? :lol:

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:44 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

i'm still trying to sort out a gallery. only a couple of the car with the boy and some of his mates at a formal a while back with a few of the engine before and after. it should be going this weekend all going well. i'll have a go at doing a gallery.

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:58 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Have look on Ebay for electric windows .I saw a kit you can buy which is retrofit and comes with everything you need.I think the price was around $200 -250 to do 4 windows.Hope this helps.Kevman.

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Yup, saw those. that is what started me asking the question. cheap is not always good but it may be okay. i thought i'd start this and find out if they work ok from someone-else.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]