Fordmods Logo

trip comp in eb not sure on wiring behind dash 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: trip comp in eb not sure on wiring behind dash
Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 95 NF Fairlane

VIC, Australia

hey guys ... i got the docs about the installation of the trip comp and i am about to start it now what my drama is .. i have no idea what it has to be connected to .. it doesnt say what colours the wires are or give u a diagram on the pin numbers in the plugs that plug into the cluster .. it could be that having my birthday yesterday .. the alchol cause still be affecting me but i have no idea what wires from the trip comp go to what . can anyone give me a diagram of the plugs on the back of the cluster and what the pin numbers are .. i have searched but only found the trip wiring not the cluster.. please help me ... cheers oh its in an eb 93 with the ea spac cluster ... :(

93 EB 4 Speed auto , 2 1/2 sports from cat back , pod filter , LSD , super low suspenstion , mok tickford rims 15" , 7 colour changing led parker lights , led no plate lights and still want more .. allooootttttttttttt more ..

"Drive it , Like you stole it " ... so whats your excuse :D

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ok i have been reading over and over .. and i sort of understand it but i dont want to bugger anything .. any help is appreciated

93 EB 4 Speed auto , 2 1/2 sports from cat back , pod filter , LSD , super low suspenstion , mok tickford rims 15" , 7 colour changing led parker lights , led no plate lights and still want more .. allooootttttttttttt more ..

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:41 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi
there is a list on the tech doco.
its as below .

this is copied and pasted from the tech doco..

EA-ED Trip Computer Detailed Wiring Pin Wire Colour Wire use - description Connect to - description
1 Black Battery ground (-) supply Any ground source
2 Yellow/Green Instrument cluster fuel level sender Low/mid series clusters, Pin 22 on the instrument cluster connector (lower connector). High series clusters - Pin 3, of the 16 pin connector (lower connector)
3 Yellow/Black Constant battery power (+12V) Any constant 12V source. Try radio head unit, or clock plug green/yellow
4 Black/White Trip computer LCD dimmer signal Low/mid series clusters (no LCD dimming) - connect to blue/red wire, Pin 1 on the 12 pin instrument cluster connector (upper connector). High series clusters - Pin 7, of the 20 pin connector (black/white wire)
5 Green/Yellow To fuel injection PWM output on EEC-IV EEC Pin 34 (middle row on EEC connector, 4th Pin from center bolt) - green/yellow
6 Black Battery ground (-) supply Any ground source
7 Not used/connected
8 White/Black Instrument cluster buzzer output (high series LCD clusters only) Connect to Pin #12 on the lower instrument cluster connector (16 Pin connector) - LCD clusters ONLY!
9 Brown Instrument cluster postive illumination Park lamps, cigarette lighter illumination, or instrument cluster, upper connector (12 Pin) - Pin #3 (brown wire colour)
10 Not used/connected
11 Red/Black Ignition power (from ignition switch) Clock plug - red/green or ignition switch
12 White Instument cluster speedo sender Instrument cluster connector - Pin 29 - white wire colour

Further Wiring Information - Hints and Suggestions
The following is a further list of hints and suggestions you may want to follow when conducting the EA-ED trip computer installation.

The ground, constant battery power, and ignition power lines can be obtained from just about anywhere that is free and easy to use.
If you have a high series cluster (LCD readout model), it is recommended that the LCD dimmer line from the instrument cluster is used for connecting the trip computer LCD dimming line>
Likewise, if you have an LCD model cluster, you should also connect the buzzer output to the cluster, for the warning chime(s) feature.
Base and sports series clusters may or may not have provisions for the buzzer input. Unfortunately there is no information here to safely work out which model Falcons do have the buzzer in the instrument cluster (Maybe EBII Fairmont onwards???)For these models, it is safe to leave the buzzer output disconnected
Likewise, if you do not have the variable dimming feature (highly likely if you are fitting a trip computer), then it is best if you wire the trip computer LCD dimmer line to the instrument cluster's illumination dimmer line (as outlined above for low/mid series models)
At the very least, 2 wires MUST be run from the instrument cluster, and 1 from the EEC-IV module, for the trip computer to function correctly. These are the fuel level, speedo, and fuel injector pulse width outputs.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

i have that one thats the wiring from the trip computer .. i need the one for the wiring on the back of the cluster ... thanks for that dude

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

please forgive me guys ... i think the alchol has gotten to me ... thanks heaps troy man . its heaps appreciated .. i know where i am going wrong .. when i printed it out it doesnt show the colours ... sorry guys again .. thanks again troyman

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

how do u knoww if u have a high series cluster .. ??? guys i am asking dumb question .. i know ... sorry ..

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:01 pm 

NSW, Australia

thats ok im happy to help.
the high series cluster is the one from ghia and fairlane it has the digital speedo.
the mid series cluster is the s pac/xr one it has the oil pressure and volts guage.

and the low series is the plain one with just speedo and fuel/temp

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

thanks again troyman i wont be back till i have civiliswed abit ;)

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ok guys i am now back to being civil .. :D .. i have installed it and now i have a question .. once the car is started ... the inst sitts on 99 when idle but goes down when driving to about 5 to 9 why does it stay at 99 when idle .. average ks .. moves even when the car is at idle .. and in park .. isnt it suppose to stop when the car stops .. dist to empty is about right is this all normal ??

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:29 pm 

NSW, Australia

hi again
it all sounds normal to me.
the instant fuel will always sit on 99 when the cars not moving because at idle the car is not doing any kms. so your instant consumption will be maximum there for it will use 99 ltrs per 100 because it will use 99 ltrs and if its not moving it will never get to 100 kms..
i hope that makes sence?

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

cheers troy man .. i have gone from not knowing to know what the car is doing and it confussed the crap outta me .. but thanks heaps dude .. its greatly appreciated .. :D it all makes sence when ur head is clear :P :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]