Trip computer in to ED - questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Trip computer in to ED - questions
Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Falcon

VIC, Australia

Hi everyone :)

I am interested in putting a trip computer in to my ED Falcon, but I just have a few questions about it first.

I've read http://www.fordmods.com/forums/EA-ED-Tr ... l-d82.html but it's a little light on the details.

It says I need to get the plug that comes with the trip computer, I am looking to get a trip computer off a ED Fairlane, will that come with the plug? What tools (if any) do I need to connect wires up to the plug?

And also, behind the instrument cluster, is there a plug or just wires? The article says plug, but one of his pictures shows the back of the instrument cluster with just heaps of wires coming out.

And finally, I assume once you have the instrument cluster out, it is easy enough to pass wires up from the ECU to behind the dash?

And finally, is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks! :)

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

this is from a female point of view forgive me if its confusing .. as noone else as yet has answered .. i can sort of shed a lil bit of light on some of your questions .. hubby did mine and i watched ..

there is no plug so if/when you buy/get one make sure you get the plug too .. also when its taken out that you get the plug with enough length of wires on it so you can lengthen them thats how mine came .. when he lengthend the wires he soldered them to the existing ones that was all the tools he used ..

from memory .. behind your dash there are 2 plugs and in those plugs is where you find the wires you need to "tap into" just find the right colored wires stipulated in those instructions nd use those scotch lock doovies to attatch them ..

we used different colored wires to lenthen the plug ones and i wrote down the colors on the instructions so i could read the instructions and tell him what color wire he should have and where it needed to be ...

as for the ecu bit we didnt get it right to that i told him to pick the green/yellow one in the big bunch and it wasnt the right one and now that wire needs to be done again as the wrong info is getting to the trip pc .. (the othr dash i got is the excuse to get it taken apart again) ...

you cant mix up the plugs as they only fit where they live ...

now if theres anyone thats done this and can explain it alot better than me then please do so .. if ive confused you in answering this then please let me know where and i can try and be more precise

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Falcon

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that, that helps a lot :) I might pull apart my dash in the next few days so I can visually see what's back there!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]