Fordmods Logo

'05 BA Mk2 LPG Conversion 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: '05 BA Mk2 LPG Conversion
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

I want to convert my Falcon to gas, yet I dont know anyone who has done it with a newer model car. Would anyone here who has done it (or knows of it) be able to give me some advice? - like for instance whether its worth it. hehe.

Ive been given two quotes from around the Perth Area.

1) Perth Auto Gas (Bayswater) - $4800
This bloke was really helpfull. He took me out into the workshop, showed me a few cars he was working on and explained to me what he would do to my car. He said they put a temp and a timer onto the system, so that when you first run the car, it runs fuel for a min of 40sec's, and until the engine temp reaches 40 degrees. Sounds good to me....

2) Auto Edge (Burswood) - $4400
Not as good service as P.A.G ... but cheaper. They werent rude by any means, just werent as helpfull. Also, from what I understood, instead of having an automatic switch, there will be a manual switch in the dash that I will need to use to switch between gas and petrol.

Personally, I much prefer the idea of having it all automatic...

I still plan on going to a few more places... however, is there anywhere in particular that someone might recomend I try, or even that I stay away from?

Much appreciated guys and gals!

Matt

2005 BA Falcon

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

we send alot of lpg work to exclusive auto gas. Frank who runs the place is really switched on and his prices are quite good too. A couple of people at work have had him do theyre cars and he's done a top notch job..
I've only got a mobile contact for him, its 0407 453 308

they're north of the river somewhere, im not too sure where as they pick up and deliver all our cars from maddington..

just tell him dave from range ford sent u and he'll look after you

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:38 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Beauty... I will give him a call tomorrow then. Thanks Dave!!

2005 BA Falcon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Hey Dave.. spoke to Frank today. He told me $4300. Nice guy.. helpfull. He did say there was a waiting list and he's still waiting to get info from his supplier as to when he will be getting more kits.

Asked me to call him back in about 2 weeks time to finalise it all. I will go through him. Thanks for the info!! :)

He told me that the kit they will put in it offers more power and torque aswell as better economy so thats good news!!

Cheers mate!

2005 BA Falcon

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

yeah. Ive driven a couple of cars that they've fitted up with lpg injection and you cant pick the difference.
Obviously ford wty doesnt agree tho so i cant say officially that the LPG conversion is good, but yes, on a BA it'd be fine.

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:22 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Hehe.. fair enough. Don't wanna be getting in trouble now!

A few questions I didnt manage to ask Frank though -
1) As far as the digital readings in the dash go, will the average fuel consumption still show the consumption of fuel ASWELL AS gas?? It's hard to explain what i mean... you know what im getting at?

2) Also.. Will I get another fuel gauge in my dash, or does the current one just switch back and forward or something, depending which fuel im using?

3) And one more.. sorry - If I run out of gas altogether, will my car run purely from petrol and vice versa? or do I need both gas and fuel in my car all the time?

Cheers mate, thx for the help! Sorry to be a pain!

2005 BA Falcon

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:30 am 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

im not 100% sure how he wires it all up into BA's to be honest with you. Id imagine it will give u an average between the 2 with your average/100km, as the car electronics wont recognise dual fuel.
sad i know but i dont think theres any way around it.

The current guage can be switched but again im pretty sure it will take it like 10 min to reflect the changed level as BA's have a system where it waits for a changed reading for 10 min to prevent a steep hill etc affecting levels...

if you run out of gas it will operate on petrol, if you run out of petrol im 90% sure it will run purely on gas, however you may need to go through a "force start" on gas to get it to run...

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Guys I think all of the prices you've mentioned are way over the top. These gas conversion guys pay about $1500 for all of the parts required for the conversion so they are making over $2500. This time last year you could have got a BA falcon converted for no more than $2200.

Either a) the prices of conversion parts have doubled over the last year or
b) they're ripping people off blind due to the government rebate

So really, you're paying more now that a year ago even with the government rebate... shop around a bit more.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagoon

WA, Australia

i had my ef done in bibra lake by mews autogas. had it done in december last year. i was very happy with them and especially after sales. i went back a week after they had converted it because i had a coolant leak. they spent at least half an hour checking it. turned out to be my radiator was dead. :-)
i have had no problems since with anything to do with the conversion.

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:32 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

I sold my Forte to my mum 2 weeks ago, she just got it converted to lpg, dual fuel of course. Think to convert my brothers EL worked out to be around $3200, but a slightly different system for the AU and my BA which comes to $4200. LPG injection I think it is which is 9hp better then fuel, and is the more expensive system then the cheaper weaker system. I'm guessing thats why the price difference, unless ELV8 yours is an injection setup too?

Mr_Maverick if your car had egas I think thats 100% gas system then your normal guage would work, but In mums Forte they added a 25mmx25mm guage in with 4 green leds to show fuel level, and a big blue led to show your currently running on fuel. As for your average fuel consumption I cant think of any way it would read your gas and petrol readings, so I believe it just reads your petrol reading only.

2003 BA Fairmont Ghia V8 www.bseries.com.au/acey xr8 catback

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:14 am 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

ELV8 wrote:
Guys I think all of the prices you've mentioned are way over the top. These gas conversion guys pay about $1500 for all of the parts required for the conversion so they are making over $2500. This time last year you could have got a BA falcon converted for no more than $2200.

Either a) the prices of conversion parts have doubled over the last year or
b) they're ripping people off blind due to the government rebate

So really, you're paying more now that a year ago even with the government rebate... shop around a bit more.

where do u get the cost information from?
a guy at work who is accreddited for gas fitting just bought a kit to do his V8 RTV and the kit direct from the manufacturer cost him $3000.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

MilleniumFalcon mine is just a standard mixer setup, so thats why its cheaper. I agree, injection is far more expensive but I never saw the need for it as I wasn't aiming for high performance.

Prices vary depending where parts are sourced from. I buy tanks/mixers/computers from Sprintgas australia and all of the copper/fittings/hoses etc locally.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

xpression wrote:
a guy at work who is accreddited for gas fitting just bought a kit to do his V8 RTV and the kit direct from the manufacturer cost him $3000.

Maybe your mate bought twin tanks for his RTV, that would have pushed the price up. $3000 is top dollar wholesale, unless it was top of the wazza.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

You cant just drive a V8 just for the awesome sound of it though, you gotta love the performance of the 8 as well :lol:

ELV8 do you still do installs ? :)

2003 BA Fairmont Ghia V8 www.bseries.com.au/acey xr8 catback

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Yeah you'll be surprised at how little the difference is in performance when converting to gas (even on a sprintgas setup). It is noticeable, but still plenty of power, thats why I changed the diff, and I think after changing the diff reckon I had better performance on gas than with the old diff on petrol.

I don't do installs for other people for the fact that I work away and don't get much time in my week off.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next