Fordmods Logo

Boost mileage with HHO gas 

Page 9 of 33 [ 484 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 33  Next

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Probably the wrong forum for a thread on fuel saving, garthr. the i6 isnt the most fuel savvy car on the road. more a forum for outright performance. (i know i keep beating a drum about this, but we need figures. without picutres, it didnt happen)

that said, more people should be interested.

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ef gli

QLD, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
Probably the wrong forum for a thread on fuel saving, garthr. the i6 isnt the most fuel savvy car on the road. more a forum for outright performance. (i know i keep beating a drum about this, but we need figures. without picutres, it didnt happen)

that said, more people should be interested.
I thought it was a forum for anything ford. And i reckon that adding hydrogen to the mix to improve efficiency should yield better gains on a machine that is more wasteful to start with. - hence the lesser gains with diesel compared to petrol & lpg, especially in thirsty V8s in F trucks & such.

Garthr

Those who say "it can't be done" shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

we're mainly e series. and too silly to know how much petrol we waste.

im interested though. now boy, enterain me...

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

Where do you get off fiftyone????
This forum is the alternative fuels and we can discuss whatever we want under that heading.
Not all of us are too silly to be very interested in where this thread is headed. I am very likely to try a HHO generator myself in a few weeks. Who wouldn't like to increase power and lower fuel consumption and emissions with a cheap simple device?

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

garth need to get a unit to pressurise to over come tubo pressure . my intercooler and turbo would make a nice size boom with a back fire . (can deisels back fire ? guess if valve dosnt seal ) i think an adjustable pressure release one way valve should work(got them at work . i would use a flashback arrestor to save my ranger from becoming a space ship lol
how much pressure will i need ? can you measure it ? the manifold would be the best place to inject the hho. what you think?

TO TRY AND FAIL = GROWTH NOT FAILURE
trying nothing is failure!

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

had a thought if i presurise the unit with conpressed air this would be a safer way to make pressure without making or storing large amounts of gas 12v conpressor or a engine driven one like a air con unit .
talk to you tomorrow.cheers andre

TO TRY AND FAIL = GROWTH NOT FAILURE
trying nothing is failure!

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Andre, wouldn't be that hard to get pressure - just minimise air space in cell as much as possible and make sure that it is air tight - i have read of units that are producing 75psi just from the gas forming - that was a setup for welding (actually had pressure sensor to shut it off if it went over that.

Garthr

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

allcutup wrote:
had a thought if i presurise the unit with conpressed air this would be a safer way to make pressure without making or storing large amounts of gas 12v conpressor or a engine driven one like a air con unit .
talk to you tomorrow.cheers andre

so like a system, replumbing the ac to such and compress the HO gas to inject it? i cant really think it would give any real benifate. but it would be interesting to see if it actually improved / reduced the economy. then figure out why the hell it does it. at least i'd find it interesting. i assume the hyro would compress?

Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon wrote:
Where do you get off fiftyone????
This forum is the alternative fuels and we can discuss whatever we want under that heading.
Not all of us are too silly to be very interested in where this thread is headed. I am very likely to try a HHO generator myself in a few weeks. Who wouldn't like to increase power and lower fuel consumption and emissions with a cheap simple device?

Sorry rick, i only jest. it doesnt come through well in text. i'd test it if i wasnt worried id forget something and find a piston in my sump. gathar didnt think it improved power to much. i think it may only give better low end torque as theres not enough gas ( i dont think) to supply a motor that big with what is still being developed.

that said, a fully tested highly effiecent unit, off the shelf with plug and play ability, and i'd jump on it.

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Update.
been testing with KOH at minimum amps for last couple days, running at 2.6 amps my cell is making just on 100ml per min. doesn't seem to be quite enough though - mileage over 221.6 kms 19.68 L adds up to 11.26 kpl (32.02 mpg) which is only 16% improvement.
have to up the amps a bit more and try again.

Garthr

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

garthr wrote:
Update.
been testing with KOH at minimum amps for last couple days, running at 2.6 amps my cell is making just on 100ml per min. doesn't seem to be quite enough though - mileage over 221.6 kms 19.68 L adds up to 11.26 kpl (32.02 mpg) which is only 16% improvement.

Garthr,
How does this sound to you? One large tube separating the electrolyte into two or three separate electrolyte compartments. Each compartment runs and anode neutral cathode combination. Each cell to draw 2 amps per compartment. Put simply a number of Small cells doing the work of one large cell. From what I have been reading two amps produces reasonable levels of HHO.

Fifty-one in twenty years you'll understand why us older blokes look at this for the fuel saving and power rather than dynos and numbers.

Put mathematically HP and KW = $$$$$$$$$$ therefore HP and KW = Mortgage repayments, bills, kids lifestyle and keeping wifey happy (a near impossible task for the average bloke) . So as fuel costs $$$$$$$$$ and rising rapidly, multiply that by more HP and KW. You end up with

HHO gas = FRIEND !!!!! (I hope the humour comes through the text)

Most of all it is just damn good fun tinkering with this stuff and getting it all to work. It replaces the urge to build a kit car from scratch from the household savings and getting us divorced.

Keep up the great work all
sincere regards, :D

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Quote:
How does this sound to you? One large tube separating the electrolyte into two or three separate electrolyte compartments. Each compartment runs and anode neutral cathode combination. Each cell to draw 2 amps per compartment. Put simply a number of Small cells doing the work of one large cell. From what I have been reading two amps produces reasonable levels of HHO.

Max,
sounds like an ideal sort of setup -(6 virtual cells), just wire it all in series & you would have just over 2v across each. Assuming voltage of system with engine running is 13 - 14 V

Garthr

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

maxnett wrote:
garthr wrote:
Update.

Garthr,

Fifty-one in twenty years you'll understand why us older blokes look at this for the fuel saving and power rather than dynos and numbers.

Put mathematically HP and KW = $$$$$$$$$$ therefore HP and KW = Mortgage repayments, bills, kids lifestyle and keeping wifey happy (a near impossible task for the average bloke) . So as fuel costs $$$$$$$$$ and rising rapidly, multiply that by more HP and KW. You end up with

HHO gas = FRIEND !!!!! (I hope the humour comes through the text)

Most of all it is just damn good fun tinkering with this stuff and getting it all to work. It replaces the urge to build a kit car from scratch from the household savings and getting us divorced.

Keep up the great work all
sincere regards, :D

I'd love better fuel economy, im a uni student after all!

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

foggy wrote:
Just another couple of quick questions has it made any difference to the running temperature of the car and any idea how many amps this thing is pulling??

Good luck

something i have noticed about temp, - after cold start in the morning, temp gauge has just started to move by the time i get to turn 2, which is about 1km sooner than before.

So the actual combustion temp probly is a bit hotter.

Garthr

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Have been testing with many different settings over last couple days, and can't seem to get any better than 12kpl (34mpg) (is city driving tho).
Come to the conclusion that it seems to be much better to inject gas into manifold using vacuum, so i'm about to change back to that system.
Mileage seems to be average of only about 25% increase with snorkle input, doesn't seem to change much with extra gas production.

Garthr

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

garthr wrote:
foggy wrote:
Just another couple of quick questions has it made any difference to the running temperature of the car and any idea how many amps this thing is pulling??

Good luck

something i have noticed about temp, - after cold start in the morning, temp gauge has just started to move by the time i get to turn 2, which is about 1km sooner than before.

So the actual combustion temp probly is a bit hotter.

Garthr,
Have you cracked the plugs out for a look to see how the combustion affects them, if at all? Do you need to adjust your plug type for better reliability?

sincere regards,

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 33  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 33  Next