Fordmods Logo

Boost mileage with HHO gas 

Page 24 of 33 [ 484 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 33  Next

Post subject: Popular Mechanics testing HHO and other water-fuels
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: X-Trail

WA, Australia

Seems like they're really sceptical about it, but the comments made about their article speaks volumes about their "scientific method" as well.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4271579.html

Post subject: Engine durability
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

I'm currently bench testing an HHO unit & building an EFIE, but before I install the unit (to my Magna 3.5ltr not yet to Terry) I'm wondering about engine durability. I read somewhere on the net that 100% Hydrogen cars require stronger internals (bearings, caps, etc) so I'm wondering about the long term usage of a HHO unit.

Even with an increase of say 25% fuel being burnt would this extra combustion of fuel increase the internal temperature enough to damage internals?

There must be limit or balance as to what is the optimum between additional fuel burning to motor damage. Or is there?

Will this have an adverse effect on the life span of the engine?

Your thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Engine durability
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ef gli

QLD, Australia

duggyTX wrote:
I'm currently bench testing an HHO unit & building an EFIE, but before I install the unit (to my Magna 3.5ltr not yet to Terry) I'm wondering about engine durability. I read somewhere on the net that 100% Hydrogen cars require stronger internals (bearings, caps, etc) so I'm wondering about the long term usage of a HHO unit.

Even with an increase of say 25% fuel being burnt would this extra combustion of fuel increase the internal temperature enough to damage internals?

There must be limit or balance as to what is the optimum between additional fuel burning to motor damage. Or is there?

Will this have an adverse effect on the life span of the engine?

Your thoughts.

Don't know what u would regard as "long term usage" , but my hilux has done over 13,000km with hho, & hasn't shown any signs of damage as such.
Important to add, - i am only boosting it with something like 1 litre/min hydroxy.
Only other thing that may do damage is if u allow your cell to run while engine is off (not a good idea anyway) it will ping on startup from too much hydroxy buildup in intake.(to run larger quantities of hydrogen you must retard timing to somewhere near tdc)

Garth

Garthr

Those who say "it can't be done" shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Post subject: long term
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Thanks garthr, I regard long term as say typical life span of ownership. i.e 200,000km over a 10 year period.

Is your Lux diesel or petrol? Have you compression tested prior & at intermediate km/s?

Old tech diesel motors are built more solidly than a petrol motor. So they most likely will take greater internal heat. (If it's an issue at all). I previously owned a Discovery Tdi300, though I never fitted a HHO booster I did however add twin HiClones which in itself improved power, consumption (10% ish) gains & more interestingly the turbo came on around 200rpm sooner which was more beneficial (noticeable) in low range than on road. I held 100km/s up a hill where it would previously hold around 90km/s. I imagine with a HHO booster the gains would be more substantial.

So, if you have a diesel have you noticed similar improvements?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

Hi all yet again from the south. I am still running my 99 AU on HHO after 15,000KM.

I want better KM and value for the HHO & LPG so I going up a size as well.

Has anyone out there gone to a taller tyre as well??
I am about to go to a 215/70/15 from 225/60/15.

I keep meaning to add Pics I will soon.

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:12 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: X-Trail

WA, Australia

Roundtwoit wrote:
Hi all yet again from the south. I am still running my 99 AU on HHO after 15,000KM.

I want better KM and value for the HHO & LPG so I going up a size as well.

Has anyone out there gone to a taller tyre as well??
I am about to go to a 215/70/15 from 225/60/15.

I keep meaning to add Pics I will soon.

I think your rolling circumference is still the same with those sizes you quoted. Changing tyre sizes to a different rolling circumference will skew your results as your car will be travelling more distance.

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:52 am 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

using the calculator found here.
http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual ... calculator
The roling Radius goes from 204.52cm to 214.26 cm
Meaning at 4.8% greater speed and yes affecting my speedo but with GPS who cares. More KM less $$$

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well I did it. 1999 ford AU Fairmont
HHO running 2ltr/min at 11amps 12volt
225/70/15 - tyres
LPG & Petrol
102km/hr Actually 111km 2k rpm (B4 it was 112km at 2.2K rpm)

Yet to work out KM off 69ltr of LPG on HHO and LPG with the bigger tyres.

But it is looking good...(Prior to adding Taller legs)
LPG alone 405km per 69ltr
Petrol 530km per 70 ltr (Red light on for 80KM)

LPG-HHO 457km per 69ltr
Petrol-HHO 598km per 70ltr

LPG-HHO-talltyres ???km per 69ltr
Petrol-HHOtalltyres ???km per 70ltr

I will let you know.
The tall tyres are 11cm rolling diamiter larger than old tyres.

:?

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi

I have built two cells, using stainless steel rods, they are using about 15amps each. I currently am using bicarbonate os soda as the electroliser. I am producing about 40Lt per hour, however I intend to use Sodium Hydroxide (castic Soda) in distilled water.

I am using this on my 1991 NC Fairlane V8 running on LPG (Sprintgas AEB 295) so far I have NOT had any increase in fuel economy. The problem is NOT the hydrogen it is the Electronics. I am think of throwing my AEB 295 away and using a manual device. I have most of the electronics solutions for modifying the sensors and if I was running on petrol could get about 40% better mileage.

MY mate has GOT a VU ute on petrol and he is getting around 40% better milage on country trips using the Hydrogen without doing any electrics. My other mate has a Proton Jumbuck running on petrol. When he first hooked the hydrogen up he got about 60 to 70% better fuel economy but after a day or so the computer decided to chuck a mental and readjust the mixtures

Anybody need info please let me know.

Oh .. does any body know where I can get hold of a scanner or somesort of programmer to fit the AEB 295 ?

Also looking for a scanner to suit my ODB, and a lambda unit.

Doc

Last edited by Hoozadoctor on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:32 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Any help with the AEB 295 would also be greatly appreciated.

Doc

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Magna SW

VIC, Australia

Roundtwoit wrote:
I have a question. That hopefully someone has already done some work on.
Is boosting you fuel with Hydrogen illegal in Australia at this time using this technuqie and does it void any insurance on any cars??

I have searched RTA ACT & NSW and can't find anything yet.

HI..

I'm very new to this HHO thing but what i have read it seams to work OK.

Now to answer both questions, the first. As HHO is only a bosst the motor there are no standards here in Australia with lets us play around with it. I made a few phone calls and ended up at the Automotive Alternative Fuels Registration Board (AAFRB) which looks after this type of mod. As there are no standards they are happy for us to tinker but seggested that we fit a LPG shutoff switch.
On the second question. I rang AAMI as my car that will be HHOed is covered by them said they cover the car but not the HHO installation.

So all in all a good day on the phone, thank god for Skype.

Thanks
Stuart in OZ

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Hi All
I have been on the side line for a while now but have now decided to post
my HHO results.
AU series 2 2000 sedan
EGAS (dedicated LPG)
I have a 2 cell setup running is series.
Single HHO gas line is conected to the brake boost vacuum inlet and PCV inlet.
Modfiied Cat O2 sensor. (Fools the computer into thiniing everything is AOK).
I travel 400Ks a day a 50% mix of city and hignway.
The HHO has been conected for 2 months with various little improvements.
With the new HHO system setup I get.
With me driving 12 to 12.5 Litres Per 100ks. Keep in mind I drive very fast (open road 130 to 140ks).
The wife drove the car for the day and got 9.4Litres per 100Ks.
The car is fueled at the same time from the same pump every day.
The other plus is this car starts 10 times easier and just soooo smooth.
I use the non mechanical person to test the gut feel (the wife ) and she just loves it.
:lol:

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ef gli

QLD, Australia

Update.:- I finally got around to putting a micro-switch on the throttle to control the cells, works really well. Switches relay off at idle but anything over that and it is on.
Got a sw from jaycar that has both NO & NC terminals around $3 worth, just wired it to normally closed terminals.Mounted it on a bracket next to throttle mechanism so that lever is actuated whenever throttle returns to idle pos.
(still have it connected through toggle sw on dash in case i want to turn it off)
Mileage numbers are as good as ever so it has not affected mileage by shutting it off at idle.

Garthr

Those who say "it can't be done" shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey Garthr, I'm a bit of a sceptic on this but also open to the thought that the HHO gas could act as a catalyst and get more of the energy out of the petrol or lpg. Based on the energy of the HHO alone, any gain would be less that the additional drag caused by the alternator working harder to power the convertor.
Also, be careful, there are videos of some that went wrong. Seems to usually be when something corrodes in the top section of the convertor (where the gas is) and causes a spark. There is also a lot of talk about a flash back arrestor - sounds like a good idea.
Interested to hear how you go.
I have an XF that I might try it on if I ever get around to putting a new exhaust on it.
Cheers, Chris

'98 EL wagon - 170,000km
'93 EB wagon - about 500,000km (broken Odo)
'85 XF wagon - about 500,000km (broken Odo). Off the road, not sure what to do with it...

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Garth,

I have read this forum right through with a lot of interest. I have the sewer pvc and picked up some stainless plates, about ready to start to put one of these together. I noticed in your last video on Youtube that you had the plates with the 2mm arcylic spacers, but it looked like you had bigger spacers in there too. Can you please advise me of :-

1) The complete size of your pvc tube.
2) The dimensions and number of stainless plates
3) the thickness of spacers and material they are made out of
4) the configuration you have used i.e. -nnn+

I have some plans for a PWM if you are interested. I bought the book "Run your car on water" but to initially get up and running I wanted to use your design, as the book one seems quite complex. I can forward you this book if you send me your email address.

Thanks,

Manstra

Sort by  
 Page 24 of 33  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 33  Next