Fordmods Logo

is lpg as good as it sounds? 

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I've got a std tank that means i loose the use of my split fold seat for long loads, but i can still get a pram in the boot if i have to, so it's not that big of a deal. Tank size is around 65 - 70lt holding capacity, on the old engine i was getting around 400 - 500kms depending on city or hwy driving and how heavy my right boot was, that was with a constantly leaking auto as well. :roll:

With the new motor & 5spd in, my petrol consumption is down to about 10/100 avg, but lpg is still about 15/100, (around town) it's needing a tune to suit the new motor. It shouldn't be that big of a gap with LPGI. Wasn't that much gap on the old motor between petrol & lpg. My setup starts on petrol then switches over, so i don't have to worry about running the engine on petrol if i don't want to. It always get's a little squirt every day atleast once.

If i were to fill both tanks, i reckon i could get to sydney without a stop for fuel, which is good enough for me. I usually stop and fillup with lpg anyway, because of the price differance. I HATE paying for petrol, there is no real reason in this country our fuels have to be so expensive. Govt & corporate greed are to blame.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 95 EFII Futura Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hmmm. I'm still not convinced.
You just can't get as far on gas and the fact that it's a by-product of oil mining means that it's a fininte resource linked to oil supplies.

Natural gas is better (what buses use) but the problem is it takes about 6hrs to fill a tank.

Even if I wanted too I couldn't really put it in the wagon as I need all the space in the cargo bay and can't have a big ugly wheel cramming it up.

Diesel is the go if you want a car that hammers with good ecomomy, especially if you put a turbo in it and it run bio-diesel.
Now that would be an interesting project...

"My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XF

VIC, Australia

How is LPG a by product of mining oil? It comes from the gas fields in bass strait.

300kms off a 70 litre tank with 60ish max capacity. 1985 xf sedan.

I choose to drink beer.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

I got 515 k's from 67 litres in my AU 5.0, half city and half highway, i can't wait to see what she does going straight up the hume next week.
I've got it tuned on the rich side too, i'm going to lean it off just a tad seeing as i'll be doing all highway k's.
For anyone who's not convinced, it's your money you're wasting... Not mine!

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:07 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Im loving the gas, just like petrol but half the price. only down between 50-100 k's on gas, but i dont really care about economy now, lol. Il be doing a few more tweaks to the gas setup soon.

97 EL Fairmont
2006 Model Pioneer Headunit
Twin 12 Inch subs
Boot install in progress
Plenty of Mods planned
Fully Adjustable Shiftkit
Lukey 2 1/2 Inch exhaust one muffler, no resonator

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

FalconIV wrote:
Is it worth getting one of those tanks that sit in your spare wheel well to save space?

Not IMO. They are only around 55lt water capacity, giving you about 44lt of LPG.

Once you convert to gas it becomes your main fuel. Why then would you want a tank significantly smaller than your petrol tank!

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ba xls ute

NSW, Australia

so so u cant do a grate distance just on gas and u have to have a full tank of fuel wow thats crap i still get better econemy just using petrol you all use gas and fuel so u people will be spending more money at the pump

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

madmax wrote:
FalconIV wrote:
Is it worth getting one of those tanks that sit in your spare wheel well to save space?

Not IMO. They are only around 55lt water capacity, giving you about 44lt of LPG.

Once you convert to gas it becomes your main fuel. Why then would you want a tank significantly smaller than your petrol tank!

That's a serious consideration if you drive long distances and there isn't many places to fill up with LPG, but you could plan the trip to make sure you can get fuel. Some servo's used to have a map that outlined where lpg could be bought, but that was many years ago now, IIRC shell is the one i can remember, and all those years ago there was 3500 servo's across AUS that you could get Shell LPG at. Back when LPG was about 10 cpl.

In the end, i choose the in boot tank with similar capacity to my petrol tank, don't have to worry about filling up so oftern, but i still plan longer trips so i always have fuel or access to it.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

I have driven from adelaide to sydney a few times now and how much does it cost me $120 each way. put $120 worth of petrol in your car and see if you can make it to adelaide........

1500 kays for $120 that is outstanding in my book and like most I dont use petrol either as it starts on petrol (about 2 sec)

And my car is an 99 AU I6 with 807,000 kays on the clock with the original motor still running.

I get around 440 kays around town and 560 on the open road, and I like to stop occasionally on long trips for stuff like drinks, food, dunny and a bit of a break so whats the deal with you dont go as far????

I guess at the end of the day the choice is up to you but like so many LPG converts here, this really helps keeping the dollars in your wallet.

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 95 EFII Futura Wagon

NSW, Australia

Lcdownes wrote:
How is LPG a by product of mining oil? It comes from the gas fields in bass strait.

300kms off a 70 litre tank with 60ish max capacity. 1985 xf sedan.

http://www.lpgautogas.com.au/index.cfm?Action=Faq#3

"LPG can be obtained from two different methods or processes.
Most commonly in Australia it is extracted directly from ‘wet’ natural gas or crude oil. Almost 80% of Australian LPG is produced from this process and includes places like Bass Strait (VIC), Cooper Basin (SA), Kwinana (WA), North West Shelf (WA) and Surat Basin (QLD).

LPG can also be obtained as a by-product of the petroleum refining process which produces around 20% of Australian supplies. There are seven local refineries - Mobil Altona (VIC), BP Bulwer Island (QLD), Shell Clyde (NSW), Shell Geelong (VIC), Caltex Kurnell (NSW), BP Kwinana (WA) and Caltex Lytton (QLD) all producing LPG.

Australia has plentiful natural supplies and in 2005 exported 1.6 million tonnes of LPG (about 3 billion litres). "

So it's not as green as everyone thinks, certainly not as green as biodiesel.

300kms from a 70l tank is not good IMO. I get about 440km in an EF wagon CITY driving on petrol. :wink:

"My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

bazz wrote:
so so u cant do a grate distance just on gas and u have to have a full tank of fuel wow thats crap i still get better econemy just using petrol you all use gas and fuel so u people will be spending more money at the pump

You've obviously never had a car on LPG, as i've said before, been running it for almost 17 years and couldn't be without it.
As i stated, i got 515 k's to 68 litres, that was half city and half highway, i wouldn't even call the trip highway as it was very hilly.... I honestly believe i can hit 600 k's for that amount, not bad out of a big car with a 5.0. I got almost 600 k's out of my EF 4.0 on a trip with LPG, i was pushing to get that from a tank of petrol.
I'll report back in 3 weeks after i do my trip!

As i've said before, for those non believers, it's your money you're throwing away, not mine..... If i had that attitude then i wouldn't have much beer money at the end of the week!

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Walker wrote:
bazz wrote:

As i've said before, for those non believers, it's your money you're throwing away, not mine..... If i had that attitude then i wouldn't have much beer money at the end of the week!

Very well said about the beer money.

Here's a very good comparison, I own 2 very differant extreme's of cars, the EB in my avitar, and a Suzuki Mighty Boy Ute, Kei class car, half the size of an Excel! Ford primarily run on LPG, with just a bit of petrol to start, Mighty Boy is ULP only. Mighty boy is getting about 8 or 9/100 atm, i need to rebuild the carby, even at it's best it will get about 7/100. With the economy of my Ford i'm sure i've posted it earlier in the thread, atm about 14 -15/100, and the price differance of lpg almost 2/3 cheaper than petrol, have a long hard guess which car is more economical on my WALLET, where it damn well counts?

YEP, it's the guzzling Ford. Specs to compare

EB II Fairmont Ghia, '93
4lt I6, Duel fuel, 5spd manual ( now )
More than 1500kg gross weight i believe

Suzuki Mighty Boy Ute, '86
800cc, Yes that's right, i put in a " big block alto motor " I3, 4spd manual
About 550kg gross weight

There was an economy review i think it was the RACV did not too long ago in one of their mags, a Territory on LPG was cheaper than a small Hyundai on ULP and a lot cheaper than a Golf on Diesel, even with their amazing economy by the litre.

You let your car do the drinking for you, i'll do the drinking for my car, with the savings in MY WALLET.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ba xls ute

NSW, Australia

no ive never had a car on gas and i never will because my car gets great econemy on fuel and i dont need to go through all that crap that i read on here about the problems that people have using gas. so at the end of the day i can afford not a beer but a slab

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

LOL, you'd be able to buy 3 slabs.

Some people will never learn, they hear a cpl of bad things and it turns them off it. In 17 years i've never had any major dramas, it's actually more reliable than petrol with injectors clogging and fuel pumps s**t themselves.

My old man has got a ZL on LPG, economy is s**t and always has been compared to EA upwards.
He also has an NC which is very economical on petrol, and because of that he wont put it on LPG, he thinks it'll be like his ZL... I'm still trying to convince him otherwise because he'll save s**t.
Don't knock anything unless you've tried it, it's always people who tell you not to do or try certain things and yet they haven't even done it themselves.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:12 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 93 ED

NSW, Australia

bazz wrote:
no ive never had a car on gas and i never will because my car gets great econemy on fuel and i dont need to go through all that crap that i read on here about the problems that people have using gas. so at the end of the day i can afford not a beer but a slab
Don't worry about converting your car mate. there isn't enough tanks to go around at the moment so I'll just take yours. :D

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next