Fordmods Logo

Stalling on LPG 

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Stalling on LPG
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hey guys just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar to this before.. About 6 months ago i got my ef fairmont dual fuelled and all was good, but over the past month or so it keeps stalling on me. Like say i was coming to a roundabout and coming down gears the revs would just completely drop off and stall. Then it wont restart on LPG, so i have to flick it on to petrol quickly. But then if i leave it overnight, and start on lpg in the morning all will be good. Then a few days later it will do the same thing again. Iv taken it back to the place i got the system installed 3 times and he says all he can do is adjust the mixtures and see how it goes.
Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers - Tom

(BTW - Its a lovato system)

Post subject: Re: Stalling on LPG
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Converter could be freezing up, next time it dose it. pull over and check if the converter feels hot or cold.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

sorry mate is the convertor the small box near the left hand strut? Im not too well up on the lpg systems.

cheers - Tom

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1998 ef gli falcon

NSW, Australia

hey, if you find the answer can you PLEASE pm me?
my 95 ef is having the exact same problem...deadly, came to a corner the other day after i slowed down engine stalled, lost power stearing and almost totaled it in a head on.... thank god for e breaks and reflexes.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Tommy Mik wrote:
sorry mate is the convertor the small box near the left hand strut? Im not too well up on the lpg systems.

cheers - Tom

Hi

is it a EF El or a EB ED?

The converter is the round cylinder looking thing about the size of a donut. normally on a EF its mounted on the right strut tower next to the Exhaust manifold. It has a flexible steel woven hose running from it to the throttle body.

Has it back fired at all mate?

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon EF

ACT, Australia

Could be caused by the Tacho amp that is added for the LPG computer. If there is an issue with the Tacho signal, the LPG computer will stop the gas. I had a similar intermittent stalling issue too, and a new tacho amp sorted it out.

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:17 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon XR6

SA, Australia

I am having the same issue with my car. I tried to find the cause rather than solution only and came up with the wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-fire as it says the causes can be
    (1) Insufficient Air-fuel ratio OR
    (2) Timing of the fire is not in sync with the engine.
I was thinking if the Air-fuel mixture is wrong and makes some LPG gas to the exhaust system causing backfire, the computer immediately shuts the engine causing it to stall.
This could be the reason as well when you slow down or stop at an intersection/roundabout. The air-fuel mixture isn't just right so computer panics and stalls the engine.

Based on this reasoning, I'd suggest trying to change the Air-fuel mixture ra[/list]tio or the timing. But i'd say changing air-fuel mixture ratio is better one as changing the timing may lead to complications with performance on petrol.(or may not?).
Someone with more practical experience can tell us whats wrong with my reasoning
My 2 cents

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon GLI Longreach 96

QLD, Australia

Had similar problems, my new mechanic says, duel fuel set-ups, you either have good on petrol or good on gas, having both good will cost you a lot more money, he says pick the set -up / tune you need most. You can't have everything?
Gas chews up distributors, coils, plugs, but saves on running /fuel costs so I am going to keep tabs on +'s and -'s and get back to you, on that one.
Don't let your Ford backfire on Gas, it will cost you more than a tune-up, Just ask me?? :roll:
Moreton

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Same problem here, I also stalled at like 20kmh going round a corner and nearly hit a pole due to power steering cutting out.

Except mine also epicly backfires whenever I accelerate from idle(mum said she heard loud bangs and 'some hoon idiot' revving their engine heaps for about 5 mins before I actually got home lol). And it idles at under 100rpm - entire car vibrates violently, and usually when it backfires it will also stall.

Also it's blowing a f**k of black smoke when running on petrol but doesn't stall as much or backfire, on LPG it backfires and stalls but no black smoke...

Best part, I had the gas system tuned/serviced this morning and problem started afterwards, but it was working fine in their workshop...

1: Mum's car: ED XR6 wagon.zorst,stereo
2: My cars: Holden Monaro CV8-Z 2005. ls1 v8 :)
3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Yeah, I agree with Moreton.
Have the same issues with my EF.
I got an after market chip put in and run on two maps, one for petrol and one for LPG.

I always start it up each morning on petrol, drive for about 5 mins for the engine to warm up and then flick it over to LPG. At the end of each day, I flick it back over to petrol.

Seems to work for me.

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:13 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

moreton wrote:
Had similar problems, my new mechanic says, duel fuel set-ups, you either have good on petrol or good on gas, having both good will cost you a lot more money, he says pick the set -up / tune you need most. You can't have everything?

I disagree I run mine on both petrol and LPG and they run fine on both I lose a little power on LPG but that's all, So if your mechanic says it cant run fine on both change mechanics.

Alan

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:18 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

Forgot check to make sure its getting enough water running through it, pull the hoses of the convertor start the motor and judge how much water is going through it, it may be freezing up

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 98 EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

im having a similar problem with mine. just not to that extent where it will stall when slowing down. revs drop but doesn't stall. mechanic said i might have a vac leak somwhere. havn't had time to check it out myself but have a go. spray some engine starter stuff around.

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:41 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

daboonka wrote:
im having a similar problem with mine. just not to that extent where it will stall when slowing down. revs drop but doesn't stall. mechanic said i might have a vac leak somwhere. havn't had time to check it out myself but have a go. spray some engine starter stuff around.

Normally its just the adjustments on the convertor have a read of the thread on tuning your LPG it may help you and is easy to do by yourself. if you cant find the thread let me know

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 98 EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

hey mate. lol yeah ive been told all it needs is a tune. ive read that thread but mine convertor is different and dont wanna muck around with it. will get a pick soon.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next