Fordmods Logo

need some advice about insurance, please 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

I agree with ToranaGuy - I'm now with Shannons for my EF, all mods covered. I pay less there than I do for my unmodded XH on gas :P

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

Get your company to send a rep out to view the car and get a higher value. Just make sure all the mods will be covered so you don't lose your cover.

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:02 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

also as you only use your car on a limited basis, someone like shannons can offer lower rates if you agree to reduced use terms ie less than 3 weekends a year and stuff. many options are avaliable. but this is not going to effect the insured value that your original query was about. About the only way round that is an independant valuation, the insurer will have someone they use and will probably want them to do it, enquire with them first. afterall, I had an EF xr6 in mint condition written off about 18 months ago, got paid out $11500, all cause I had agreed value on insurer certified third party valuation. best couple of hundred I ever spent, specially as I bought the car 9 months earlier for $8,800 on ebay.. nice little earn shame to loose the car.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

mr_sperm1 wrote:
I agree with ToranaGuy - I'm now with Shannons for my EF, all mods covered. I pay less there than I do for my unmodded XH on gas :P

:D I'm paying less with Shannon's with a lot of mods than my mum pays for her ED Futura stock with factory LPG, with CGU, we are both rating 1 but mums over 40!

My Eb, My Lh Torana & my Suzuki Mighty boy are all with Shannon's for agreed value policies. All Mods i've listed are covered. I even have first right to the wreck on the torana, and a few other options such as buying back the wreck directly from them & so on. The Torana is on laid up cover while i'm rebuilding it, which is very cheap for the value insured. I just wish i could afford laid up cover for my Hz pano as well! lol.

When the torana is done & back on the road, i'm going for a limited usage policy, which last time i asked, there was a one that iirc, gave me upto 5,000 kms a year driving it whenever & where ever i want, as long as i don't do more than 5,000kms, previso i keep a logbook & keep them updated with the milage. Considering the insurance is rather cheap for the amount i was asking for, it's worth that little bit of hassel.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

glpotter wrote:
its probably because your under 25. have you thought about getting it ins by an older persons (your parents) and signing on as co driver.

From the quotes that I have got, the insurance companies did not seem to care who the person was that is getting the policy. They based the quotes on the driver that has the highest risk (in this case it was me).

It did not make a difference if the car was in my name or in my parents name with me as a co driver. The quote was still for the same amount. If you go to put the insurance in someone else's mane, the whole point behind that one is that you say that you are not a driver, and then you will get cheaper insurance. If anything happens, you claim that you are not the normal driver, and that you are driving it as a one off :wink:

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon X-DEF

VIC, Australia

To the guys insured with Shannons,

How are you insured under the age of 25? When I try to get a quote from their website, they state that all riders/drivers for their policies must be aged 25 or over?

If there's a loophole, could you let me know?

Cheers.

250ci 4-speed XD S-Pack, XE S-Pack front bar & rear bumper, 14"x7" & 14"x8" Chevoit 5-slotters, 60mm drop, Fairlane interior, Clarion CD tuner, 4" & 6"x9"s, Pioneer amp.

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

muzzlecar wrote:
To the guys insured with Shannons,

How are you insured under the age of 25? When I try to get a quote from their website, they state that all riders/drivers for their policies must be aged 25 or over?

If there's a loophole, could you let me know?

Cheers.

I'm 25 in October, but been with them a couple of years now. I just rung them up looking for a quote on my EB & my Torana. I advised them i was under 25, they asked my DOB, and worked out i was over 21, and then asked for my rating & some proof of that. I was just 22 & rating 1, with proof, and once i provided that, they insured me.

Just ring them up and ask. It wasn't long ago they didn't touch under 25's. Oh and for the record, no i don't have a parent that has a policy with them.

At the time i rang, they were NOT going to insure the EB unless i also had a classic car insured with them, but their recent advertising would suggest this isn't the case anymore.

Quote:
From the shannons website.

Does your car/bike qualify for an online estimate?
We can provide you with a quote on-line if:

* It is in good repair (except for Laid Up cover only)
* It is for private use
* You are the registered owner of the car/bike
* All drivers/riders are aged 25 years or over

Sorry, we do not offer insurance if:

* Your car/bike is used primarily for business use, or
* Your car/bike has not been insured in the last 30 days, or
* Any of the drivers/riders have lost their licence in the last 5 years, or
* Any of the drivers/riders made more than 2 motor claims in the last 5 years or
* Any of the drivers/riders have had more than 3 traffic infringements &/or offences (excluding parking fines) in the last 5 years
* You are currently bankrupt or in receivership.

If you do not meet these criteria, please call us on 13 46 46 as we may still be able to help you.

Based on all the above criteria, i too couldn't get an online quote. Just go ahead and call them when you get some time. See if they can insure you or not.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I just tried an online quote for my stock std ED gli, based on me being 25 & only driver, quote come to $567.11. A phone quote i had done not long ago with myself & my g/f, who's 22, listed on the policy, was $ 625.23. Not as big a difference as i thought there would be!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:45 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon X-DEF

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that mate, I'll give them a call on the phone then. Want to pick up a few more mods and trusty old AAMI aren't likely to be impressed.

Cheers.

250ci 4-speed XD S-Pack, XE S-Pack front bar & rear bumper, 14"x7" & 14"x8" Chevoit 5-slotters, 60mm drop, Fairlane interior, Clarion CD tuner, 4" & 6"x9"s, Pioneer amp.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2