Post subject: The ins and outs of mobile speed cameras
Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Taken from this months Meter magazine
Quote:
Mobile speed cameras have been re-introduced to reduce the rad toll.

The re-introduction of mobile speed cameras was announced by the NSW Government as part of a $170 million package to curb the states rising road toll. The Government's commitment to cameras is based on well documented evidence about the relationship between speeding and road trauma.

Mobile speed cameras will operate state-wide and enforcement will be conducted at all times, on all types of roads. Mobile speed cameras are aimed to ensure that motorists slow down and drive within the speed limit everywhere.

Drivers are reminded that if they drive within the speed limit they will not be booked for speeding.

How are mobile speed camera locations determined
Mobile speed cameras will be located at sites which meet specific criteria. The criteria were developed by the RTA's NSW Centre for Road Safety in consultation with the NSW police force and the NRMA motoring and Services.

The selection criteria include (any of) the following:

*That the location was previously used by the NSW Police force to conduct mobile speed camera enforcement.

*Frequency and severity of crashes at that location.

*The site conditions at the location are appropriate for mobile speed camera enforcement and meet both the technical requirements for mobile speed camera enforcement and the safety requirements for camera operators and members of the pubic.

*Further evidence of a speeding problem using police intelligence (including events that pose a road safety concern) and/or vehicle speeds.

*The location is difficult to enforce using conventional methods.

And if you are caught?

It will now cost you more. On July 1, the RTA road transport fees and charges increased by 1.83% in line with the CPI.

In addition, speeding fines also increased by 5% as part of the road toll response package.

So from what I have seen, it comes down to cop intelligence on speeding more than anything else. And a f**k cab driver magazine can print that but yet an RTA or govt spokesperson dare not mention it.

Also what colour mobile speed camera vehicles have you guys seen? The govt promised us white and white only Ford Territories in all of their press releases (happy snaps for the news papers supplied on numerous occasions) and in the Illawarra we have got anything but white. The most common colours for us are dark blue and dark grey on overcast days. Silver on bright sunny days and they even throw black into the mix at night. Going by that I think there is a lot more than 6 only promised territories floating around. f**k grubberment.

Post subject: Re: The ins and outs of mobile speed cameras
Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:48 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I have also noticed people are extra twitchy at the moment too, I use Tom Uglys bridge daily, the same white transit van has been parked on the footpath for years, the owner lives in the building its out the front of. But there are now reports put into the radio every day of a mobile revenue raiser parked there. FFS its not even a territory you idiots. But there are some awesome skidmarks along side the van as people crapped themselves on their way past. Number of accidents in the immidiate area has probably quadrupled too. I have only seen 2 genuine mobile cars and they do stand out... as you go past, good idea to enforce saftey after the fact!

But then how do you educate a moron?

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The thing is the cameras are facing so they get you before you pass them. The lockups are hopeless. Do you lock your brakes passed a fixed speed camera after it has gone flash flash?

I'm just waiting for angry bogan blokeman to steer into one of them at a fair speed. Or some kid on a skateboard to let of a thundering king under the fuel tank.

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:32 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: F150 EL mont&2001 cobra

QLD, Australia

HEHEHE Someone up here ran into one of their camera cars a couple of weeks ago.

Smoken the hides in top gear

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Revenue raising. It's been proved that camera's cause issues in their locations, by people braking to stop getting caught.

If the government would just get some government owned businesses to generate revenue, we wouldn't need the camera's to make up shortfalls in their budgets!

There used to be a guy somewhere in europe that went around cutting down fixed camera's. A bloody hero if you ask me!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

You could be a hero too ToranaGuy if you take care of your state cameras. lol

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hopefully someone can confirm this but the nsw camera cars feature bullet proof glass and are manned by 2 security personel at all times.
And you know who's running the show? Macquarie Bank scored the constract for the camera cars. What f**k don't they own in Nsw?

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Slick wrote:
You could be a hero too ToranaGuy if you take care of your state cameras. lol

Not me, i prefer to keep out of trouble, but there has been some that have been shot out, and i'd love to shake the hands of the guys who did it!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: BFII Fairmont Ghia, Silver

VIC, Australia

There's a REALLY good way of cheating governments out of LOTS of money -- don't speed. Set your cruise control or whatever.

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It has been well documented that the new cameras only allow a 2km/h tolerance. Sure its easy to say don't speed but what about the millions of people who drive cars built pre 2006 where the ADR's state that a tolerance of 10% either way is acceptable. Even the cops think the new mobile speed cameras are unfair. So much so that we now have 2 tolerance levels with regards to speeding. 10% for if you get picked up by a police officer and 2km/h if you get picked up by a Macquaire Bank car.

Where does your don't speed mantra fit in now?

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ghia

VIC, Australia

You guys complain about different colour Territories? We have the biggest mix of mobile camera cars... old EL wagons, new city four wheel drives... you name it they have a camera on the front of it...

There's a speed/red light camera out the front of my work on the Princes highway in Geelong, all day everyday there's cars locking up their brakes, large trucks sliding halfway into the huge intersection, their trailors creeping into the lanes next to them. There's been numerous cars hit in the a** cause the car in front doesn't want to run the orange in fear of a fine, sure they can say there's been no deaths here but the money that's been spent fixing these smashed up cars would be huge.

It only used to be a red-light camera up untill the start of the year, now the flash is going of atleast 30 times a day... the number of people being caught hasn't reduced since it's been in, and to be honest the large majority of cars that get snapped are not going 100km/h (it's an 80 zone) they're doing like 85km/h.

Instead of putting in more cameras increase the penalties for speeding, a larger fine... more points... the average person doesn't speed by a lot, so they only have to pay a fine a lose a couple of points... that's not much of a deterance.

||||

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
It has been well documented that the new cameras only allow a 2km/h tolerance. Sure its easy to say don't speed but what about the millions of people who drive cars built pre 2006 where the ADR's state that a tolerance of 10% either way is acceptable. Even the cops think the new mobile speed cameras are unfair. So much so that we now have 2 tolerance levels with regards to speeding. 10% for if you get picked up by a police officer and 2km/h if you get picked up by a Macquaire Bank car.

That's the thing that pisses me off the most, they just don't seem to care if you drive a pre July 2006 built car!

Don't speed is all well & good, but you can only go by what your instrumentation is telling you!

If i ever again get rear ended at a red light camera, i will be sending the bill for the repair or write off value to the camera operator, because red light camera's have statically been proved to INCREASE accidents at their intersections.....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Even if I was to take my eyes of the speedo and go over the speed limit say just between 80-83kmh, there's no way for me to tell as the needle almost takes up the 5km speed increments as specified by the ADRs.

:idea: The bloody ADR's specifically says every car must have a speed increment of 5, 10 & 20. that is the design rule!
By-passing the design rules and inserting the 2kmh- 4kmh speed threshold only suggest it's one big f**k revenue entrapment no way of telling if the 1kmh over is actually 1kmh with the speed needle and the small space between the 5km speed increment ... FFS, I feel like running over a bureaucrat right now!!! :evil:

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF GT, EL Xr, Xp mont, 4runner

Power: 137 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Slick wrote:
Even if I was to take my eyes of the speedo and go over the speed limit say just between 80-83kmh, there's no way for me to tell as the needle almost takes up the 5km speed increments as specified by the ADRs.

:idea: The bloody ADR's specifically says every car must have a speed increment of 5, 10 & 20. that is the design rule!
By-passing the design rules and inserting the 2kmh- 4kmh speed threshold only suggest it's one big f**k revenue entrapment no way of telling if the 1kmh over is actually 1kmh with the speed needle and the small space between the 5km speed increment ... FFS, I feel like running over a bureaucrat right now!!! :evil:

a legal loophole for those who get done by a fixed speed camera driving a pre-06 adr vehicle ?

84 4runner.......needs boost
El xr6.....needs dohc boost
Xp fairmont......needs boosted 8
Bf GT......cant afford boost no more

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 96 EF Ghia wagon

Power: 122 rwkw

SA, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
xcabbi wrote:

That's the thing that pisses me off the most, they just don't seem to care if you drive a pre July 2006 built car!

Don't speed is all well & good, but you can only go by what your instrumentation is telling you!

If i ever again get rear ended at a red light camera, i will be sending the bill for the repair or write off value to the camera operator, because red light camera's have statically been proved to INCREASE accidents at their intersections.....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Here is some info on the increase in accidents at red light intersections.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 151159.htm
As for more points being awarded for traffic offences, here in SA it used to be 3 points for all speeding offences (we can lose 12 points over 3 years before losing licence), but then we went to the national standard (?) of 1 point for up to 15kph over, 2 points for 16-30kph over etc. This is a great money spinner for our state govt as most speeding fines are handed out for offences under 15kph over speed limit ($196), so now we can be caught 12 times in 3 years before losing licence instead of only 4 times. As most people don't get caught that often it just becomes a tax on speeding. FYI its $312 for up to 30kph over & $468 over 30kph, 40kph & over is dangerous driving which is lots more again.
It must be great paying tolls on a Macquaire Bank toll road and then paying an extra toll for speeding on the same road to the same company (well I'm sure they get their share of it).

Stock as a Rock engine option 'Z'
302 V8 auto on LPG @ 210,00km
- 121.7 rwkW / 163.3 rwHP

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next