Fordmods Logo

3.8 V6, extractors/exhaust/cold intake and 10PSI.. why ??? 

Page 2 of 4 [ 47 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: 3.8 V6, extractors/exhaust/cold intake and 10PSI.. why ???
Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:31 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

lukemilnes wrote:
if the holden v6 is so bad why did a vt v6 auto beat my au11 auto till 70 kays both standard

it beat you because the falcon has a tall 1st gear compared to the commo..
the commo has a good gear ratio combination making it feel responsive down low and good burnout car...

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

One thing that needs to be kept in mind.. the M90 is a positive displacement blower.. boosted all though the rev range so the figures are not as good as driving it would seem... but still... 148?

Does anyone know if that charged EL ford made was ever registered by them?

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

lukemilnes wrote:
if the holden v6 is so bad why did a vt v6 auto beat my au11 auto till 70 kays both standard

Quite simple really, the v6 revs a bit quicker and the first gear ratio is shorter. To 100 your falcon would have been quicker.

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

lukemilnes wrote:
james88 wrote:
Well obviously u should buy a commonwhore then. Leave the falcons for the real drivers

yeh right who made you god of choosing real drivers try hard

I say that because of people like u who drive around in there mums single spinners and drag at every traffic light they see an endanger them and the people around them. Watch the news people are killed every week from street drag racing

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

james88 wrote:
lukemilnes wrote:
james88 wrote:
Well obviously u should buy a commonwhore then. Leave the falcons for the real drivers

I say that because of people like u who drive around in there mums single spinners and drag at every traffic light they see an endanger them and the people around them. Watch the news people are killed every week from street drag racing

Sorry don't mean to be all up in ur face n s**t just pisses me off when people talk like that.
Mate of mine was t boned and all most killed from a couple of p platers that were just racing to 60.. Things change

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

james88 wrote:
lukemilnes wrote:
james88 wrote:

Sorry don't mean to be all up in ur face n s**t just pisses me off when people talk like that.
Mate of mine was t boned and all most killed from a couple of p platers that were just racing to 60.. Things change

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Whoops double post my bad

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Mate of mine was t boned and all most killed from a couple of p platers that were just racing to 60.. Things change[/quote]

pull your head in i never said it was on a public road don't bring your emotions here and bagg me

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

and who said i was a p plater why do we always give p platers hell i've seen worst driving off non p platers i've been off my p's for some time so don't jump to conclusions

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Keep in mind there that the commodore with 211rwkw is getting 21psi of boost. now that is a ferk load of boost. considering you can get that on a sohc i6 turbo with same work and 7-9 psi.

They run good times at the strip because they are really well geared, and the charger fixes the biggest problem of the buick v6, which is lack of low down torque, making it a much more rounded engine. Their launch times are an absolute envy. a relitively powered falcon would monster it for trap speed.

I wouldnt be putting 21 psi of boost through a stock ecotech either. There must be more work done internally, or the owner is very brave.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
Keep in mind there that the commodore with 211rwkw is getting 21psi of boost. now that is a ferk load of boost. considering you can get that on a sohc i6 turbo with same work and 7-9 psi.

They run good times at the strip because they are really well geared, and the charger fixes the biggest problem of the buick v6, which is lack of low down torque, making it a much more rounded engine. Their launch times are an absolute envy. a relitively powered falcon would monster it for trap speed.

I wouldnt be putting 21 psi of boost through a stock ecotech either. There must be more work done internally, or the owner is very brave.

what ever the case, its closer to legal then a majority of turbo eseries/au
hard to argue with raw numbers, a 150rwkw supercharged commo will flog a 150rwkw N/A Falcon.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

The V6 is a really unreliable motor in my opinion I have seen heaps of them top end bearing crap themselves and other issues, but I must say that the standard Supercharger feels unreal when "foolish" but the output seems really poor on that example but there are plenty of high powerful VT to VY.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB

New Zealand

Mate of mine is in the process of whacking a turbo on his 94 commo. Tell you what, when my car was multi point 4 spd, 3.08 diff, he shat all over me. There boxes are closer to T5 ratios than ours and it realy sucked for me. Haven't taken him for a foot flat(controlled conditions) ride with the T5 etc yet but hes still swears black and blue his commo is still faster :lol: ... :lol:

1989 EA Falcon column shift - SOLD
1990 EAII, BBM, EL ECU, T5, LSD - SOLD
1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia V8 - SOLD
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Huge thanks to BenJ, TROYMAN, fiend and XR-Lane. The E-series knowledge/motivation pool.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

as much as it pains to say, the buik 6 is far more reliable than any 4litre henry has ever produced, it's their best stolen motor yet, better than the rb and the genIII in my opinion. it's not unusual to see vn's been round the clock on the standard motor.i've seen so many of those buiks thrashed everday from ignition on to ignition off everyday of their lives and still keep on going.
ea's are a perfect example, notoriously known as the worste motor henry ever produced i beg to differ. i account that to maintainence problems. they're very maintainance needy. the buik however, has been in a plethora of different shells and still proves to be a good motor. the sohc over so many generations still couldn't seem to become awsomely reliable with similar chasiss. the genIII was designed for a corvette and had oil problems in a commo chasis and the rb well, it's self explanitory. it was a good performer in a smaller car, why put one in a family car?

an adapted powerhouse/train performed well is a better engineering effort than a dedicated powerhouse/train thats been refined for years and still has issues, thats poor engineering.

theres about 50 things i could mention off the top of my head that ford should have fixed between my bf and ea but thats not to say i'm unhappy with it.

it's horses for courses. theres dyno performance, and theres on road performance and the two are very far between. theyre a different car, full stop, no one is better than the other it's just which you prefer, if numbers are your thing, buy a commonwhore, thats what theyre for, the gullable majority of society.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:
Bag the Super6 all you want, there are plenty of Super6's running pretty quick... and keep in mind its legal.

How many of your Boosted Falcon's are legal?

http://v6supercharged.com.au/quarter_mile.asp

Dyno Power Results: 225 rwhp (168 rwkw)
Best Official Times Recorded: 13.96 sec @ 97mph
Modifications:

* 10 PSI Universal Power-up Pulley Kit
* 1.9:1 High Ratio Roller Rocker Arms
* Extractors
* Type S - Cold Air Intake Kit
* 3" Mandrel Bent Cat Back Exhaust

it takes one hell of a 'Legal' Falcon to get a time like that ;)

and who decides if its legal?

theres an EB on here with std head and no boost that did a 13.7.....

so no it dont take a much to beat that time....

then theres all the 302 falcons which can very easily pull these times plus a lot more

as has been said a million times before its the short first gear that makes commodores seem so responsive.....60kph vs 80 in the ford...also they tend to carry a little less weight (flimsy s**t actually - thats why they cant hack it as taxis)....end of the day it aint the V6 that makes them quicker...

factory supercahrged v6s had 171kw....vct au motors had 172kw...dont give me this crap about the v6 being detuned....so was the vct (by quite a lot)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next