Fordmods Logo

Anyone done a GAS TURBO 6cyl SETUP ???????? 

Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Ok i have spoken to GRA about a gas kit for my car they reckon installed $3000 with the 2 converters nice price????? Keeping in mind my car doesnt run gas atm.. But even at that price i would still lean towards it over petrol turboing atm.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

pretty normal price.
A mate had a twin converter GRA setup put on his EA, very nice LPG setup and it was approx $3k.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:02 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I got quoted $2000 recently to have a gas research setup put on my xf with a 4 litre in it that would suit a turbo. My car is already on gas and that included twin lines and twin converters with their throttle body all fitted and tuned.

There is two websites for gas research i gather swift performance sells and fits their stuff and the other site is their main site.

Would you get a better price buying the parts needed from gas research directly then getting it fitted and tuned?.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Is it hard to fit a gas system i have taken a few out and reinstalled them in older cars but dunno what goes on with compliance and stuff like that??? Also with the research kit on what parts are not needed from the normal petrol setup Injectors, ECU, feel free to add more cuz im not sure :P

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:34 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

gryph wrote:
Is it hard to fit a gas system i have taken a few out and reinstalled them in older cars but dunno what goes on with compliance and stuff like that???

Not really that hard but legally if you are not a qualified gas fitter you should'nt.

I guess the hardest part would be setting up all of your lines for the converter(s) and throttle body. Then finding a suitable place to mount the converters. Oh and i think that your gas tank needs to be modified to suit twin gas lines if running 2 converters and that is something that you can't do yourself as the tank needs to be tested.

Myself i would not play around with gas the extra money on installing the system will be well spent because you will have a car that runs as it should and is safe. My 2cents.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

yeah blowing up a gas bottle in your face wouldn't be fun p

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mmm probly a good point matty i will pull the old gear out n take it in to see if he can use any of it in the new setup. And i take it the mods to the tank would be extra lines in????

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:02 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

gryph wrote:
mmm probly a good point matty i will pull the old gear out n take it in to see if he can use any of it in the new setup. And i take it the mods to the tank would be extra lines in????

As far as i know they run one line to each converter which requires different fittings for the tank and two lock offs.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

GRa has one site and then a second site for there performance center.
I thought on one basic set up I saw with twinc converters, they just forked the gask line into two and ran it to the converter, instead of having two lines al the way to the tank.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

the "GRA PC" isnt an actual arm of GRA.
GRA PC is now owned by Swift automotive and some of their workmanship isnt exactly 'great'.
how ever their website is still very handy.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

u shud already have a few outlets from ur tank.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

If its an APA tank or similar they are 30* 4valve tanks, only one siphon tube is fitted so you can only run one outlet on the tank, they often T off the outlet and run twin lines up to the front, with two converters and two lockoffs. You can modify a std tank to fit a second siphon tube, but you would have to have the tank re-tested and I think only APA can do the siphon tube mod anyway, I have researched this topic well, the only reason I didn't get the second tube/outlet is that no-body would freight my tanks to APA, so no go. It may be possible to fit the second siphon tube and just re-test the tank locally, I would speak to your gas-fitter about that I would be very interested to know what you find out.

http://www.TURBO351.com

2V 351T, 732rwhp@15psi on LPG.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Don;'t the converters double there flow capacity when under boost?

Post subject: Re: Anyone done a GAS TURBO 6cyl SETUP ????????
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

johnsfutura wrote:
Word has it that fuel will rise to $2 a litre, I like my cars a nice size eg:BA FUTURA, now im thinking converting to gas, but they make a pig out of your performance, (ASK NSW POLICE FORCE WITH THERE BA XT GAS GENERAL DUTIES VEHICLES)

If its possible to turbo a gas 6 cyl I6, then why havnt we been chatting about such an IDEA ?

I think GAS has a lower BANG rating, but it would be a nice setup, even just a mild setup just to give a gas I6 a bit more oooomf,

Thoughts and ideas appreciated

John...................JOHNSFUTURA

Interesting Idea - if u do go down this road and just make it a LpGas turbo car theoretically u should make more power than normal petrol bowser

LpGAS has a greater octane rating than the high octane fuels like optimax.

Now Wolf engine managements systems can control LpGas direct injectors into the inlet manifold and if u optimize the ignition timing im sure u could make some serious power levels

Imagine conputer controlled Lpgas fuel and ignition timing ??? and a turbo a receipy for power

there r some new convertors on the market there half the size of a Impco B2 convertor and flow more gas also

cheers

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ezygas are doing injection systems they have a kit for the new xr6t among others. I am considering it as a better option than the gra performance throttle body. It runs a piggyback ecu which basically makes the car think the petrol injectors r running when u have the gas switched on so no probs supposedly. Im going up there next weekend to have a ride in his converted xr8 he says the difference is very noticeable will b interesting to see. And for only an extra $500 over the GRA's kit maybe a much better option in the long run considering it would also help with econonmy and the tech seemed to think you might have backfiring trouble with a gas turbo setup running on a throttle body????

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next