Fordmods Logo

cost to turbo 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: cost to turbo
Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:09 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

hey i was just wondering how much it would cost to turbo my EB2, and how about supercharge any idea how much that would cost too.

Last edited by kurtlives11 on Fri May 06, 2005 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: cost to turbo
Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

kurtlives11 wrote:
hey i was just wondering how much it would cost to turbo my EB2, and how about supercharge any idea how much that would cost too.

wat can intercooling do for the performance of my car too.
First of all intercooling is essential if you want to run higher boost than about 5 psi as the intake air temp will run too high and cause detonation and engine melt down. For a turbo set up if you shop around and do alot of the work yourself you could probably get out of it for around about the 7-8 thousand dollar mark. This wouldnt include any internal engine work which you will need eventually.

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:50 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: turbo

VIC, Australia

if you like i have a turbo extractor manifold for sale to suit t4 flange

Post subject: turbo manifold
Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: futura

NSW, Australia

hi how much do you want for this manifold

car audio gear just ask, special prices for fm members...

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:52 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

seton005 wrote:
For a turbo set up if you shop around and do alot of the work yourself you could probably get out of it for around about the 7-8 thousand dollar mark. This wouldnt include any internal engine work which you will need eventually.

That would have to be using some pretty exotic materials. I am doing it all myself and my budget is $4000 or less. That includes new 60-1 turbo, steam pipe manifold, 3" stainless exhaust, aftermarket efi, intercooler, 42lb injectors, twin bovs, battery relocation, etc. The only thing that is 2nd hand are the injectors and the efi but they were included in the budget. I am 3/4 way there and still on budget.

$7-8000 should get what I have with the labour paid for.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: turbo

VIC, Australia

i want $500 for the manifold

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Bert wrote:
seton005 wrote:
For a turbo set up if you shop around and do alot of the work yourself you could probably get out of it for around about the 7-8 thousand dollar mark. This wouldnt include any internal engine work which you will need eventually.

That would have to be using some pretty exotic materials. I am doing it all myself and my budget is $4000 or less. That includes new 60-1 turbo, steam pipe manifold, 3" stainless exhaust, aftermarket efi, intercooler, 42lb injectors, twin bovs, battery relocation, etc. The only thing that is 2nd hand are the injectors and the efi but they were included in the budget. I am 3/4 way there and still on budget.

$7-8000 should get what I have with the labour paid for.
Of course it could be done cheaper but most people will use external help at some stage. If you make your own manifold or utilise the standard one (like chef has done) there are big savings to be had. What ecu are you running? Even if you budget $1000 for turbo, $700 for wastegate, $1500 - $2000 for ECU (and for that price it wouldnt include fitting and tuning), Roughly $300 for pipes for intercooler and dump pipe, injectors $250 and up (more for new). Theres $4000 plus right there (and thats the situation most people will find themselves in).Then you have to consider the stuff like battery relocation, oil lines, oil catch can, exhaust etc. I have come in well under $7000 so far and that is using a snort performance kit and making my own pipes etc and an EMS 8860. If youve done it for under $4000 than good on you, but not everyone is going to be able to do that. You must have some good contacts to do what youve done for the price. And by the way what is that turbo (60-1) and what brand, what boost will you be running and what rwkw are you hoping for.

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

kurtlives11 wrote:

the last quote we did to turbo an EB came to almost $15 000.
that includes custom manifolding and every thing from fuel pumps and injectors to any extra nuts and bolts that may be needed

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:19 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

60-1 is the compressor wheel, IMO it is better for street use than the T66 wheel because max eficiency is reached at ~11psi, wheras the T66 its ~20psi. Its still a 600hp turbo. In USA lots of 5.0 Mustangs are usings these for 500rwhp+ with good boost response. I was initially recomended this turbo by someone who got 400rwhp@10psi on a 3.9 OHC Ford. If you look at the compressor map the 60-1 is a very versatile turbo.

The turbo is a Master Power T4 that I have purchased on a group purchase. I am running it with a .81 split pulse turbine. The wg is a 38mm Tial, the whole lot with flanges owes me $1600. The ecu is Kalmaker, $450. 3 bar MAP sensor, $90. 8 Lucas 42lb injectors, $200, Hooker Aero Chamber 3" muffler, $200. 3" 304 stainless pipe and bends and steam pipe, $400. Battery relocation cables, jumper terminals, etc, $100. Intercooler, $300. Pair of Porsche bovs, $90. That leaves me roughly $500 for the pipework and misc. Everything is new except the injectors (almost new) and the wiring loom and Holen Camira ecu.

I want 280-300rwhp@10psi on the stock motor.

I installed and tuned the ecu myself and this is supposed to be one of the harder ones to install and tune.

All the prices were from asking around and searching the net. None of it was mates rates. What does that tell you?? You could probably do it for even cheaper with contacts. The only thing that will be mates rates will be the oil feed and drain.

Last edited by Bert on Sun May 08, 2005 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:25 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

As for making your own turbo manifold, the materials cost about $250 including laser cut flanges and enough pipe for a decent design. In the scope of things this is a very minor cost. Great thing about steam pipe is that you can weld it with an Arc welder.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Bert wrote:
As for making your own turbo manifold, the materials cost about $250 including laser cut flanges and enough pipe for a decent design. In the scope of things this is a very minor cost. Great thing about steam pipe is that you can weld it with an Arc welder.
So youve done ALL of the work yourself and it looks like a good combo. Most people arent going to be skilled enough, or well enough equiped to do everything. I myself am very handy with a mig welder etc but still opted for a pre made manifold and had the exhaust fitted by a reputable exhaust shop because I was more confident in their services and didnt have the time or facilities to do it myself. You say none of it was mates rates but you saved on the turbo with a group buy. That is still a saving most people wont have the privilage of. But kurtlives11, what it comes down to is reserch and both Bert and myself knew what it would cost us before we even started buying parts etc. Read the threads on what others have done and use them as a guide.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:00 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

You should allow at LEAST $10,000 to get a turbo set-up done if things are bought new and it is fitted for you. I would allow $15,000 if you plan on changing gearbox and clutch.

You may be able to do it for $7,000 with second hand parts and if you do the fabrication yourself (i wasn't that skilled)

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

COuldn't you just be a cheap skat and buy the bottom of the range Snort Performance kit for like $2,500, slap it on the stock engine and ooff you go?

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
COuldn't you just be a cheap skat and buy the bottom of the range Snort Performance kit for like $2,500, slap it on the stock engine and ooff you go?

Tuning dude... tuning. You can slap a turbo on there and not address fueling but you wont get very far. Did someone say melted pistons? At the very least you'd need to put a rising rate reg on there and knock a few degrees off the timing. Even a pissy little powerdyne blower like mine would destroy a motor with stock tuning.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Group purchase here ...
http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/sho ... post419766

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next