Fordmods Logo

Help with making a Supercharger Bracket! 

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia 5.0L

QLD, Australia

I have a thread there too.
Was it for an E-series?

I may end up getting a bracket from CAPA, as it looks like I also need another power steering pulley, as I am going for an 8-rib set up.
Almost everything else can be had from other sources. Like bolt shops, BSC, Corral.net, eBay.com, or by looking at the capa kit Bunnings!
But my heads have just arrived, so I will be busy for a while yet before the kit goes on.

ED Fairmont Ghia.
306ci, Pro-m 80 MAF & #42inj, Kirban AFPR, Walbro 255LPH intank & inline, BBK 70mm, Ported Edelbrock #60399, Ported Explorer, Crane 2031 & YT1.72, MSD 6AL, paciemaker tri-y, 2.5" cats into single 3". H/D stall. 3.45 lsd, Powerdyne XB1A.

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the link!
Not sure who sent it now, i accidently deleeted the message...but it has me thinking ablut making a bracket, because as it stands its going to cost me $1115 for the CAPA bracket and the 8-rib power steering pulley, that I need for an 8-rib set up.
But looking at other set ups, they dont need to incorporate the ps pulley at all...
I wondser if it is really necessary to incorporate the ps pulley with an E-series v8 and the powerdyne blower, or if capa just designed it like that to sell another overpriced part.
I might have to wait until my crank pulley arrives to see how things line up, and how much room I have infront of my ps pulley.

ED Fairmont Ghia.
306ci, Pro-m 80 MAF & #42inj, Kirban AFPR, Walbro 255LPH intank & inline, BBK 70mm, Ported Edelbrock #60399, Ported Explorer, Crane 2031 & YT1.72, MSD 6AL, paciemaker tri-y, 2.5" cats into single 3". H/D stall. 3.45 lsd, Powerdyne XB1A.

Last edited by dodgie on Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:15 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: fairmont ghia

WA, Australia

did you get my pm???

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

dodgie wrote:
Thanks for the link!
Not sure who sent it now, i accidently deleeted the message...but it has me thinking ablut making a bracket, because as it stands its going to cost me $1165 for the CAPA bracket and the 8-rib power steering pulley, that I need for my 8-rib set up.
But looking at other set ups, they dont need to incorporate the ps pulley at all...
I wondser if it is really necessary to incorporate the ps pulley with an E-series v8 and the powerdyne blower, or if capa just designed it like that to sell another overpriced part.
I might have to wait until my crank pulley arrives to see how things line up, and how much room I have infront of my ps pulley.

Power steering pulley setup does work well tho, alllowing the placement of the upper tensioner between the blower and the p/s pump (if you look at the CAPA setup, around 65-70% of the blower pulley has contact with the belt... important for grip)... i reckon you'd have a mother of a time getting the belt to run straight from the crankshaft to the blower... unless you can move the blower in closer.

Also makes for one hell of a brace for the bracket with the p/s and aircon pump mounts in play as well as the block.

If i were going to deviate from the CAPA setup, i'd prob look at incorporating into the serpentine. Altho... in CAPA setup, if blower belt goes bad... easy enough to lug home with no p/s... as opposed to towing the bugger home.

Why you going for the 8 rib? Lol, IIRC that's a $300 pulley from CAPA?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

slycruza wrote:
did you get my pm???

Yeah, if it was the link to the bracket build, thanks!
Wasn't sure who sent it as I accidently deleeted the pm before I could reply.

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Power steering pulley setup does work well tho, alllowing the placement of the upper tensioner between the blower and the p/s pump (if you look at the CAPA setup, around 65-70% of the blower pulley has contact with the belt... important for grip)... i reckon you'd have a mother of a time getting the belt to run straight from the crankshaft to the blower... unless you can move the blower in closer.

Also makes for one hell of a brace for the bracket with the p/s and aircon pump mounts in play as well as the block.

If i were going to deviate from the CAPA setup, i'd prob look at incorporating into the serpentine. Altho... in CAPA setup, if blower belt goes bad... easy enough to lug home with no p/s... as opposed to towing the bugger home.

Why you going for the 8 rib? Lol, IIRC that's a $300 pulley from CAPA?

Not realising I had to change the power steering pulley, i have already purchased an 8-rib crank pulley, with a few different blower pulleys, and a couple of tensioners (all 8-rib) from eBay, all on their way.
They were easier to source second hand than the 6-rib stuff (aint gona slip much now either eh!).

I would as you said rather keep the accessory belt separate, and looking at the distance from the crank shaft to the blower, it all seems like incorporating the power steering pulley into the setup is a good idea.

Also, the bracket braced with p/s and aircon pump mounts as well as the block does all go to helping reduce flex, and hopefully eliminate any belt throwing issues.

So yeah...I might just have to bite the bullet and get a bracket and PS pulley from CAPA.
Not sure if pulleys come with the bracket, they should for that price, but I doubt it (bloody hope the bolts do...).

ED Fairmont Ghia.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Now I'm thinking , and hoping the crank pulley on its way will fit/line up with the blower on the bracket, and the power steering pilley...
This is a slightly used ASP 7" lower crank pulley for a fox mustang of ford Truck Pre 96, 8 Rib Set up with underdrive pulley.
I picked it up pretty cheap, and with two blower pullies, I can resell to offset the cost.
It should be the same as a Vortech pulley, which should be the same as a Powerdyne pulley... I hope.

Attachments:
59d8_1.jpg
59d8_1.jpg [ 14.52 KiB | Viewed 243 times ]

ED Fairmont Ghia.

Last edited by dodgie on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Certainly looks like the crank pully i had running the blower. Does it have a spacer that goes between the standard one and the 2nd pulley? Basically just an aluminium disc, about 7-8mm thick IIRC.

Tensioners should come with the bracket... hopefully it also comes with the spacer between the bracket and the block:

The bolts wont be a problem... the one that goes into the block (and through the spacer pointed out above) comes off the engine IIRC. The three bolts that hold the blower bracket to the p/s pump bracket are discarded and replaced with longer ones (word to the wise - they are male torx headed bolts on the p/s pump)

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

The pulley is a one piece style, bolt on straight to the balancer, with the accessory drive on the pulley, but hard to see in the pic.
If it needs to be spaced forward I can do that, but if I have to go back it may be a problem.
Guess I can space the bracket/blower a bit too.
I will have to get 8-rib tensioner pulleys for the bracket also, hopefully they won't cost an arm and a leg extra, or maybe just get wider pulley wheels and swap them over, if thats possible.
Thats a good pic of the bracket..
I have that PDF file of the CAPA instructions, and have worked out pretty much exactly what I need and don't need. So when I make the call to CAPA, I can explain to them exactly what I am looking for.
Guess its just a matter of when now.

ED Fairmont Ghia.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3