Fordmods Logo

how good is stock BA xr6 internals? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

end of the day GT3540 is what most people consider a "big single" turbo.... why bother going bigger with a turbo that has that potential, you'll just increase lag, and decrease streetability. 300+ rwkw is there on the factory turbo with the right tune and supporting mods.

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

ok ok ok, forget the snort kit nuf said about the stock turbo...

as far as an aps kit goes, it seem that most of the gear you need can be had for for much cheaper elswhere, like a DIY kit if you know what i mean... the only value i can see is in the tune as i guess they have got it down pat after 140+ dyno pulls :shock:

i mean cmon, its only a chip, exhaust, fuel pump and injectors, all of which is the first step no matter what car you gonna feed more air to... and then source some cold air into the turbo (duh), and you get a wastegate acutuator, BOV and a decent intercooler for $4000??? :shock:

your essentially paying $2000+ for the tune, which is steep, BUT, for the gain you get here, i guess its actually the BEST bang for your buck ironicly

the local guru has made 800rwhp on a blown XR8, and he will do a custom tune for $660. i wonder whether he can squeeze as much out of an xr6t as aps??? if so, a custom DIY build would be the way to go 8-)

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

The price you pay for an APS kit includes costs for overheads, product development, warranty, proven results etc.

If your willing to do it yourself for unknown gains then that is alright as well.

As you said making power with turbos isnt rocket science, just make sure you have the tune sorted well, the right bolt ons and it will make the power.

Is your mate's car an NA XR6 or a factory turbo model?

Im using an NA motor in my current build so Im keen to see results of NA motors converted to turbo.

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:00 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: fairmont ghia

WA, Australia

soon as u get to the 330rwkw mark you will find that a rod may come out and say hello! hehehe

tell your mate to get to the 300rwkw mark you only need min mods!
a mate of mine did the full xforce exhaust, edit by xtreme ford tuning (simon) typhon 2nd cai with k&n, bigger injectors and fuel pump, and valve springs.... the stock cooler is fine to then as well but if you wont more securty i suggest you change it to a bigger unit....

if you mate has money to burn go the nizpro or aps gear both are made to top quality... but the above mods i mentioned you will be more then happy trust me!

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:39 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

APS kits are all ADR and EPA approved too.
I'd say thats where the extra cost comes from.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Alot of motors have popped on 250wkws and theres alot running around with 350wkws and all is fine... its all in the tune and how you drive the motor. Dont make it pull on high boost down low, dont rev it past 5200, keep the oil super clean and always use hi octane fuel.
Do this and fingers crossed it hold together, but who know, maybe it wont... know body is 100% what they will cope with.
mines on around 290wkws on a boost map that starts at 13psi and drops to 11psi at 4000rpm and Im on my 5th different tune and pretty happy with this tune. its not too hardcore down low but pulls crazy on boost.
I can easilly see 330 or so with more boost, wich will make it more fun but this is fine for now and isnt stressing the motor too much... i will give it 15psi but not until I have a decent clutch and mod the wastegate to hold flat boost.
but with only 20k on the clock I dont wanna see a rod out the side just yet

Post subject: hi there
Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:26 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford AU series 2 Wagon

VIC, Australia

i think u have a slight problem ur drive line isn't capable of handling high horse power, try modifieng ur diff and trannnnny or gearbox, then do what u want to it ur car will suffer tremendously on fuel economy

wagoff

Post subject: Re: hi there
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

cilkorules wrote:
i think u have a slight problem ur drive line isn't capable of handling high horse power, try modifieng ur diff and trannnnny or gearbox, then do what u want to it ur car will suffer tremendously on fuel economy

LOL, you talking from experience dude or just making stuff up?????

T56 and ZF transmissions are holding upwards of 500wkws, so are the diffs, CVs break if launched hard... the early 5spd manuals and 4sp autos break on 300wkws...

Economy?? Mines gets 9.5L/100kays on freeway use and 12L/100 for general city driving... better than stock, much better, it depends on how good your Edit tuner is.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I to have heard the t56 and zf's can handle good power. when you say CV, do you mean CV joint? and do people often change them to launch harder?

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah the CV joints break, usually one side snaps at the drags when used with slicks... There's a billet replacement but they are really pricey, so most just replace with the stock units.
Stock t56 clutch will also give in at high 200wkws, the F6's use AP racing clutch which is super strong, but ford sell them for like 3500 or something :roll:

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2