Intercooling Questions 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Intercooling Questions
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

Hi Fellas,

I'm weighing up whether or not to front mount intercool my 10psi centri SC AU (6 cylinder). I've changed some things recently.....headwork, heavy duty internal SC belt, impeller uprgrade, and now the engine pings lightly when loaded uphill on boost in 3rd, for example.

I'm thinking that maybe the stiffer internal belt, plus more aggressive impeller might be putting some more heat into the unit/air. I'm currently running proper water injection with good pump, atomising nozzle etc. Compression is down at 9:1, AFR's are good (on rich side), tune is good. I'm thinking that a front mount might be the answer, but I'm interested to know what to expect re: drivability, power/torque, economy, etc.

I guess these questions are mostly addressed to you guys who have run a non-intercooled setup, then fitted a FMIC later:

1. What power/torque gains did you achieve just by fitting the intercooler + tune?
2. How did it affect drivability....eg. did the longer pipework and air restriction cause a loss of crispness/responsiveness down low in rev range?
3. How was economy affected? Was is worse due to less low down response, or better due to colder air efficiency?

Thanks for your tips,

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

biggest tip I'll give you is that it'll drop yourboost pressure way down - e.g. I went from 9psi using a direct pipe to 4 psi with a front mount intercooler. also the size of the piping, length and intercooler will effect this - I'm using 3" piping, and tried both a 600 x 300 x 75mm and 300 x 300 x 75mm intercoolers, there's about 1psi difference in boost drop between the two. this is with a standard CAPA supplied Powerdyne.
I picked up my 2.5" pulley the other day, going to try it now, hopefully that'll take me back up to 9psi.

Last edited by twr7cx on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

twr7cx, let us know how you go with the new pulley.

So you dropped boost with the FMIC....what did it do to power/accleration/driveability, etc?

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

JoeXR6 wrote:
what did it do to power/accleration/driveability, etc?

Not sure, as I hadn't driven on the 9psi set up for more than just around the block. I was always planning on going intercooled.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Have you considered water to air intercooling ?

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

my cooler didn't make it drop one bit, i think having cooler air, making more power will far outway any loss

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Opto, yes I've considered water air (looked at frozenboost package). I think W/A will achieve the best temp drops, with the best throttle response also (minimal pipework), but I'm leaning toward air/air due to lighter weight (not full of water), and simplicity (no electrics, pump, extra radiator to fit, etc). I'm keeping the weight issue in mind as I don't want to upset the handling balance too much, with extra weight over the front end. Its already fairly hefty with SC and water injection. I think it will end up cheaper too?

I've looked at your W/A setup before, looks really good.

Post subject: Re: Intercooling Questions
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

JoeXR6 wrote:
Hi Fellas,

I'm weighing up whether or not to front mount intercool my 10psi centri SC AU (6 cylinder). I've changed some things recently.....headwork, heavy duty internal SC belt, impeller uprgrade, and now the engine pings lightly when loaded uphill on boost in 3rd, for example.

I'm thinking that maybe the stiffer internal belt, plus more aggressive impeller might be putting some more heat into the unit/air. I'm currently running proper water injection with good pump, atomising nozzle etc. Compression is down at 9:1, AFR's are good (on rich side), tune is good. I'm thinking that a front mount might be the answer, but I'm interested to know what to expect re: drivability, power/torque, economy, etc.

I guess these questions are mostly addressed to you guys who have run a non-intercooled setup, then fitted a FMIC later:

1. What power/torque gains did you achieve just by fitting the intercooler + tune?
2. How did it affect drivability....eg. did the longer pipework and air restriction cause a loss of crispness/responsiveness down low in rev range?
3. How was economy affected? Was is worse due to less low down response, or better due to colder air efficiency?

Thanks for your tips,

Joe

Pinging can be caused by being too rich as well.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

If it's pinging now mid winter i'd be looking at intercooling options.
Maybe wrap your headers,even if they're ceramic coated,a phenolic spacer,low temp thermostat, some venting to channel air in and out.
Little stuff that costs less than a C note each mod but the effects will assist an intercooler do it's work.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Retard the timing and fit colder plugs..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

EBXR, I've got one stage colder plugs, gapped right. I don't want to retard timing anymore...keen to keep as much torque and response as possible. Two dyno operators cannot detect detonation at all, and are happy with the tune. In 90% of full boost situations the engine runs smooth and happy...its close, but I think I need something to take the edge off it in the aforementioned loaded vehicle/hill/high engine load/boost scenario.

Some of you guys who have fitted turbos would have some non-intercooled to intercooled experience I'd imagine?

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
tried both a 600 x 300 x 75mm and 300 x 300 x 75mm intercoolers, there's about 1psi difference in boost drop between the two.

twr7cx, what type of FMIC core did you use....bar and plate, or tube and fin?

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

JoeXR6 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
tried both a 600 x 300 x 75mm and 300 x 300 x 75mm intercoolers, there's about 1psi difference in boost drop between the two.

twr7cx, what type of FMIC core did you use....bar and plate, or tube and fin?

It's a PWR Aero 2, can't remember which it is, but it's the better of the two. Not an el cheepo ebay speacial.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

JoeXR6 wrote:
Opto, yes I've considered water air (looked at frozenboost package). I think W/A will achieve the best temp drops, with the best throttle response also (minimal pipework), but I'm leaning toward air/air due to lighter weight (not full of water), and simplicity (no electrics, pump, extra radiator to fit, etc). I'm keeping the weight issue in mind as I don't want to upset the handling balance too much, with extra weight over the front end. Its already fairly hefty with SC and water injection. I think it will end up cheaper too?

I've looked at your W/A setup before, looks really good.

If you are interested here's the link
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Water-to-Air-Tur ... dZViewItem

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:16 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: Commodore VZ SV6

QLD, Australia

Joe

What power are you seeing on these dyno's? And what boost pressure? And what intake temps?

Can give you more definite answers with a bit more info to work with

Raptor SC, blow your mind ..... not your wallet

Holden VZ SV6 Alloytec - 270rwkw (premium SC kit)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next