Fordmods Logo

M90 supercharger questions. 

Page 1 of 7 [ 102 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: M90 supercharger questions.
Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi Folks,

This just arrived in the mail for me.:

One of the reasons I wanted this one is because the work of making the flanges has been done already.. but I have some questions...

1. How do you tell if a charger like the M90 is in good condition? I can't feel any slack in the bearings.. but what else should I check for?

2. I got a bypass valve with it. (says bosch)
another view of it...

Where does that thing go.. what does it do and what is the little vac hose socket on the top for???

Lastly, this is the intake manifold I'll be fitting it to...
(though it will be on the EL motor... not the EA as you see it there.)

If I could do something about the fuel rail.. things would go allot easier.. but I'm not sure what I can do.. has anyone found an alternative means that would make fitting easier?

On the weekend I plan to start measuring up and fabricating brackets and stuff.. was looking for some ideas or suggestions.... (I know about XPpaul and have all his pictures..)

last of all, other than the ducting and intercooler.. what else do I need?

At the start I plan to keep the boost very low.. then later on as funds permit I will add rising rate reg and stuff... I guess I'm asking what other stuff I will need or should have and would sort of boost should I run everything else still standard.. (has a new fuel pump, but its a standard bosch) ECU will probably be the EL one I have here to begin with.. I'm just not sure how it will handle not having the BBM manifold anymore.

I did this more for fun and experimentation than brute HP.. so I'll be taking my time with it.. but a boost would still be nice.. :-)

any suggestions folks?

rgds

Frank

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Have a look on the underside of the blower, the Vanes should be in good nick when you turn it over. i think they are ceramic coated?? It'd be under that top flange.

Also That is a bosch bypass valve. One side of it should be plumbed into the inlet after the blower (boosted), the other into the inlet (pre boosted). The plug ontop is for a vaccum line to used. Works like a blow off valve like a turbo, but also allows the car to idle as well and vent excess..

there is a right and wrong way to plumb the bypass valve too, I will take a pic for you if you'd like, but heres a pic of my bay and the way I mounted it, you might have an allowance for it with the blower already..

The bypass valve is on the far right.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

i think m90 rotors are teflon coated?

if they look ok to the eye they should be fine, you would be able to see if it was peeling.

Some m90's have inbuilt bypass valves do they not?

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Yup teflon, Didnt think ceramic sounded right..

Dont know about the built in bypass valves though..

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:22 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

smell the blowers oil if it is really pungent you may have bearing probs, the case hardning from the rollers causes the smell, snout bearings and seals are no probs replacing do need press and use hot and cold technique to get it back together, done mine own.
front case rotor brg and seals is a different story a lot of work there, rear real easy , all of ebay , cheap as , by the way get gm oil (ouch didnt like saying that) from ebay , need two bottles if its original it will have spring loaded drive between snout and case gears or may have been replaced with teflon solid drive.

anything else i think of i post, good luck

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:34 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

will take pics for ya of my bonnet had to cut ribs on the nc for clearance and that is with the blower sitting 4mm off the log manifold (plate thickness of my outlet adaptor)

is your pulley std 3.25 inch if so with the std ef el balancer you wont make 2:1 drive ratio which will keep your boost at about 2 psi, can be changed latter down to 2.5 inch, thats starts them working!!!!

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

XFpaul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dude.. good to see you.. the person I was most hoping to see...

Can I have some close up photos of the blower as it's mounted on the intake? You could well save me a lot of time measuring.. in fact just take lots and lots of photos of everything.. I just had a look at the ones I'd saved from your thread.. they ask more questions than they answer for me..

Also, did you have any clearance trouble with the shock tower when then engine rocks under load??? it looks tight there...

I think I will have to have the outlet adapter changed as I think it faces the wrong way.. but any closeups would be really handy mr Paul... :-)

Sadly the pulley is the 3.5" one and I expected to have to change it after I get all set up.... I see alot of 10PSI pulleys for commodores on ebay and I was assuming one of them would do the job..

What PSI do you run now Paul? and also what belt did you end up using?

rgds

frank

Last edited by frankieh on Thu May 29, 2008 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I should add that there is no bad smell to the oil.. but the guy rekkons he changed it very recently and its only had an hour on the dyno since then before he toasted his engine..

Ironically, the engine it was from, was renault that was in his Delorian...

I don't have a flux capacitor, but I do have a stiffening cap in the boot.... :-)

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

I would use a rising rate reg anyway its a little peice of mind.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Looking at what you have there and assuming the blower and engine are going into an E series engine bay, have you looked at the clearances and how the blower will mount ?
You may need a longer pulley snout also (depending on how you mount and orientate the blower)

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hi Opto,

I am following where XFpaul has already gone.. he has a M90 over the log manifold on his car... it does fit.. (just)

Raptor.. what exactly does a rising rate reg do? I'm assuming it regulates the fuel at increasing pressures as the rpm increases?

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

rising rate reg closes off the return line forcing the fuel out the injectors.

You can get them in certain ratios ie 12:1 being the highest, 12lb of pertol for every 1lb of boost.

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

oh I see..... so it stops what would normally be "Excess" fuel from going back down the bypass thereby applying higher fuel pressure?

I just had another idea as well..

The air con compressor is quite a bit smaller than the M90 supercharger..

I am seriously considering moving the compressor up above the log manifold on a bracket, and moving the M90 down where the compressor is now.
I have a very short snout on the M90, so it might fit without hitting the engine mount..

If I could get it to fit down there, it would be almost totally stealth... Gonna measure it up tomorrow..

any thoughts?

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:23 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

here is an idea??

if your willing to go without aircon mount the m90 where the air con compressor is and forget about the aircon all together?

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

well, I'm note sure the M90 will fit where the air con is now.. I'll have to do some measurements..

If it does.. there is no issue moving the air con above the log.. that would probably be very easy to grind and weld up some brackets for it..

be very cool if the M90 will fit down the bottom though... I love stealth installs.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 7  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next