Fordmods Logo

must need mods for supercharger 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: must need mods for supercharger
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

just wondering wat would be an absolute necesity to have if i were to charge the fairlane.

cheers

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Depends... stage 1/powerdyne... nothing. Have ur injectors cleaned (get new ones), make sure only premium left in the tank when you fit it, switch to synth oil... bolt it up and go for it.

Stage 2/vortechs.... as above, come with new injectors i believe... still, not much needed that doesnt come in a kit from CAPA. Vortech will need a return line tapped into the sump.

Stage 3+... strengthen box etc. brake upgrade would be a good idea.

If you're talking capa kits, they come with everything needed like spark plugs, injectors where necessary, MAF for V8 (dunno bout 6), water injection, ECU chip etc.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

cheers 4.9, im looking into the vortech v-2 300kw+ setup .

so really no need for internal mods or would it be a better thing to have the internals modified?

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Ahh i see. Well i only went as far as powerdyne kit... im just wondering if the stock heads and manifolds are able to flow enough air for 300kw at the fly.

Internals should be able to take it as CAPA provides a fairly safe tune (i.e. lots o fuel) - they design these kits for stock engines, so i doubt you'd damage anything. If you were going to spend extra money on the engine i'd go for heads, manifold, tb, exhaust.... just to release the flow...

Will be very interested to hear what EDXR8 has to say....

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeah thats all i was thinking in terms of mods , wat will ebxr8 have to say

4.9 how easy or hard are they to install?

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Ahh i see. Well i only went as far as powerdyne kit... im just wondering if the stock heads and manifolds are able to flow enough air for 300kw at the fly.

Well I have seen articles on turbocharged basically stock headed and intaked HO engines that produced over 300kw @ flywheel, I can't see a problem with a supercharger doing the same except for maybe the parasitic power losses holding it back below 300KW? but I doubt it

Remember we are talking flywheel, not rear wheels as CAPA etc advertise.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I wouldn't take your heads off until you have to..A better more tuned maf calibrated to atleast 30 Lb or bigger injectors...
And the biggest exhaust you can get...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

How many kms do you have on the car, blowers and old tired engines dont mix too well. The stock internals are generally fine because the block seems to be the weakest point. The problem I see with the stock parts is that they don't like high revs. The bottom end isn't balanced all that well and the stock valve springs suck so keep the revs down and you will be fine (although the stock heads tend to keep the revs down for you).

The base vortech kit as it comes from CAPA is good for 220-240rwkw on a stock engine which is fine for most people. If you want any more you really want to get some decent injectors and a better way of tuning the engine (aftermarket EEC or something like a Tweecer or custom chip). Other than that, a good exhaust is a must along with some good sticky tires (you will need them :D )

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

its only got about 200k on it she is mech sound bigger injectors aint much of a trouble

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

NC 5ltr wrote:
its only got about 200k on it she is mech sound bigger injectors aint much of a trouble

200k is still pushing it for a blower IMO, I would at least look at doing a basic rebuild. The CAPA kit comes with 24lb injectos and an FMU (I believe) which will do, but some 42lb injectors without the FMU will allow easier tuning but you really need an aftermarket computer or Tweecer to run those injectors.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

how will i be pushing the motor with it having 200k on it?

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Forced induction really needs good rings and bearings otherwise you can end up in a bit of trouble. Even though N/A your engine is fine, when you push 10psi into it it will quickly show if the engine is worn or not. When I pulled my motor down at 200k it was in fairly good condition although the bearings were showing wear. The rings seemed fine but again once you push 10psi into the engine they probably wouldn't have been great. You probably don't absolutly need a rebuild but just be prepared that an engine with 200k on it and a blower wont last for ages.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
Forced induction really needs good rings and bearings otherwise you can end up in a bit of trouble. Even though N/A your engine is fine, when you push 10psi into it it will quickly show if the engine is worn or not. When I pulled my motor down at 200k it was in fairly good condition although the bearings were showing wear. The rings seemed fine but again once you push 10psi into the engine they probably wouldn't have been great. You probably don't absolutly need a rebuild but just be prepared that an engine with 200k on it and a blower wont last for ages.

saying that ,would there be a way to know if the engine was starting to wear out :?:

besides the point ive been thinking of getting the trickflow kit with a rebuild then after that ill be able to run 10psi quite easily :twisted:

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

NC 5ltr wrote:
saying that ,would there be a way to know if the engine was starting to wear out :?:

Not really, its just a guess that at 200k the bearings and rings would be getting a bit of wear. As I said, that is probably fine while NA with good compression in all cylinders but once you start forcing air into the engine and start making big power this wear will come into play.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

so how many rebiulds have u done edxr8?

with 330rwkw i'd have to say you have done a few

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next