Right pistona for Turbo Ef 6cyl 

Page 3 of 6 [ 78 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EA Turbo

VIC, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:
what head gaket easprint??

Ford AU Steel Gasket. Haven't had any issues with it so far.

EA Falcon S Sprint
Snort Performance Custom Turbo Setup
340rwkw on 13psi...tuned by CVE

Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

whats the compression now with the dished pistons and au head gasket?

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2005 BAII XR8

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
there are other way aswell.

like a set of 6inch long eagle small block chev rods are half the price of a set of H-beam BA rods.

How can these be used? I contemplated these too but Chev rods are only 0.940" wide and E series rods are 0.994" wide. Maximum side clearance is 0.014", not 0.054".

I don't see how these would be any good at all?

Am I missing something? I hope so!

Chris

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

jump on fordsix.com and talk to xctasy.
he's had the running

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

chris1966 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
there are other way aswell.

like a set of 6inch long eagle small block chev rods are half the price of a set of H-beam BA rods.

How can these be used? I contemplated these too but Chev rods are only 0.940" wide and E series rods are 0.994" wide. Maximum side clearance is 0.014", not 0.054".

I don't see how these would be any good at all?

Am I missing something? I hope so!

Chris

remember that clearnce is to keep the rod in the right spot.
if you ever have the chance to see the bottom end of a nascar engine, you'll see side clearences alot bigger then even 54thou.
they run a narrow bigend to reduce bearing width, that help to recude mechanical losses, rod location is taken care of at teh small end, with tight clearnces between the pin boss in the piston and the rod.

if you are building and engine to the point of really needing stronger rods thing like that should be given real thought

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

I have given it thought. That's why I'm saying it wont work. The piston wont locate the rod unless you get some custom pistons done and that would be very expensive. I'm only asking after reading info on the Atomic website. They suggest H beam rods and imply that the stock rods are not the best.

I could use some press retension gudgen pins with spirolocks in the pistons to locate the rod.....but I reckon that would be a great way to hammer out the locks with 0.054" endfloat. I have build more than enough engines to have a clear understanding of mechanical limitations.

While I'm not familiar with Nascar engines, I do realise that things are very different in an engine you don't expect to last longer than the next race. They also do things to an engine that runs constant high RPM (like very narrow rings and wide bearing clearances) that you simply wouldn't get away with on the street. I'm building a tough engine, but I want it to last too.

Sorry if I'm ranting but telling me to think about things sounded like a dig to me. :? I never stop bloody thinking! :lol:

Chris

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i wasn't having a dig at you.

all i'm saying is the stock forged TRW rods from an EF are damn strong.
JMM have made over 400rwkw using preped EF rods.

the only reason i said anything about using a narrow big and the small for rod location was because, if you are building an engine past what the stock rods can hadle, it wouldn't be your every day engine. It would be something out of the ordinary. that you wouldn't expect to get a very long life out of anyway.

and atomic are right the stock BA BF long rod is not overly stronge.

again i'm not having a go at you, but if you've built that many engines you would know, that to have a tough engine that will hold together you need to spend the money on parts.
All i have done is give options, sure some may bring about there own problems that need solving but they are option none the less

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

:lol: ...No problem. :D

So BA rods are less durable than EF rods. Good to know! I'm really trying to get a handle on what bits are worth using in the E series I6. I'm an old Clevo man from way back. I'm used to engines that don't have good rods from the factory...or rods at all! :lol: Yes some engines don't have conrods.

Are the AU rods ok too? My $300 low kilometer AU engine arrived on Tuedsay. Looks good and will be the platform on which I hope to put together a reasonable turbo engine. I don't mind spending money where necessary, but hate spending it needlessly.

Sorry if I'm post whoring.

Chris

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
stock forged TRW rods from an EF

forged, arent they cast??

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

you're not post whoreing.

I'm sorry to say though, that all of the long rod engines AU included are marginal when it comes to rods. the change froma 5.88inch rod to a 6inch rod, only changes the stroke/rod ratio from 1.504 to 1.535.
you would need a 6.7inch rod to get a ratio of 1.714

the AU engine is a good starting point though with cross bolted mains and a factory main girdle. though the move to larger main bearings was an interesting one.

you said you where looking at the atomic stuff and thats a good way to be heading, brad from atomic is a very helpful man and will spend some time to listen to what you want.
he was even going to put in a special order for a semi custom piston (a flat top version of the turbo piston) for me, with one of his turbo piston orders

BTW sorry if it seems like we got off on the wrong foot

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ebs_4l wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
stock forged TRW rods from an EF

forged, arent they cast??

the rods? nope they are forged

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:

:wink: No problem. Its always hard to get the intended meaning on a forum. I'm actually enjoying reading all the info on here. Very informative! Starting to wish I'd just done up my EF engine rather than going and buying an AU engine. Oh well...only wasted $300.

Chris

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

chris1966 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

:wink: No problem. Its always hard to get the intended meaning on a forum. I'm actually enjoying reading all the info on here. Very informative! Starting to wish I'd just done up my EF engine rather than going and buying an AU engine. Oh well...only wasted $300.

Chris

well although it may seem strange to some people the EF rods will fit in the AU block. polish the beams and have them nitrided, get the bolt bores machined for the next closest ARP bolt and you have a very tough set of rods.
Or like you said, Atomic.

Do you want to use a forged piston? as currently no one makes one for the short rod, ACL race pistons (cast) can have the dish opened out lightly or modify the chamber to bring compression back down.

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:55 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Very interesting options.

I'm still leaning toward the Atomic rods with either Atomic or ACL forged pistons for the AU motor. It will be the "good" engine and with the bottom end improvements you spoke of previously, it should take a bit more punishment. That was the reason I bought it.

The EF engine will go together in the interum and I'll see how much I can screw out of it with my TO4b. Once it gets tired (or goes pop) I'll put the AU engine in and try and go faster with my TO4e66 or maybe even shout it a GT35r. Like you have pointed out, a reasonable turbo engine can be built from stock components from the EF....with exception of maybe the rod bolts which will be changed. The ACL hypereutectics will do fine for this engine. I have no idea what power output to expect but the turbo is in its fattest efficiency range at 15 to 18psi. That is the boost range I plan to run. Judging by the compressor map it should be quite a good turbo. I could calculate HP from the airflow but without accurate VE or intake temps I'm still only guessing. Far too many variables.

Anyhow, thanks again for your assistance. I'm starting to get very interested in this project. My poor turbo RX-7 is sitting in the shed as I'm too engrossed in this. :lol:

Chris

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Good luck with it, you'll be suprised what you can get from the stock motor with some decent tuning and time.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next