Page 1 of 4 [ 46 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Rising Rate Fuel Regulator
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

Hey guys,

I've really gotten into the whole idea of setting up my car with a turbo and have slowly been reading through different build threads and information on boosting an i6.

One part I am stumped on is the Rising Rate Fuel Regulators and I was wondering if this would do the trick ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falcon-XR6-XR8-EF-EL-AU-BA-BF-Turbo-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-/180945457381?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a213090e5#ht_500wt_821

Cheers

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Post subject: Re: Rising Rate Fuel Regulator
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:02 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

it really depends on how your going to set it up?
are you going to cheat by using std injectors and a fmu/ 12:1 rising rate reg?
this will raise fuel pressure 12 psi for every 1 psi boost, which esentually forces huge amounts of fuel through the std injectors by pressure, it has been proven to work but puts alot of load on fuel lines and your pump..

then there is the option of using a 29lb or 36lb injector with something like a 2:1 rising rate reg with the combination of a j3 for tuning the injector cycle for less fuel on idle and more on boost with a medium rise in pressure..

or what i have done.
i still run the std xr6 fuel reg, which like the other factory regs are still a rising rate reg to a point, they will rise aprox 1:1 which means every 1 psi of boost will rise fuel pressure an extra 1 psi, im using 65lb injectors relyng the an aftermarket ecu to do all the work..
either way a high flow pump will be required at some point...

sometimes it can be a costly trial and error experience trying to set up a fuel system for boost, epecially when trying to cheap out..

that reg in the link is usless, it dont give you any specs if or what rate it rises pressure at..

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thank you heaps Troyman ! :D

All this stuff seems pretty straight forward initially until you decide to start forking out money on little added extras.

I guess I should provide some more information on my car and what I plan on doing. At the moment it is running a xr6 fuel regulator, AU injectors (no increase in lbs), tuned j3 chip, cam and exhaust.

The kit I was looking at is the following...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150875009874?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1903wt_1037

Nothing too flash, but as a first turbo install I thought for the price it would be a good place to begin.

Now back to the fuel regulator, yeah it's always a pain in the a*** when no essential details are provided :evil:
I also looked into a Walbro 255 to replace the standard pump.

So am I correct in saying that by tuning the j3 along with the xr6 regulator I could get away with not installing a different fuel regulator ?

Thanks again (Plenty more questions to come I am sure :shock: )

Build Thread:

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:08 pm 

NSW, Australia

using the j3 i think you can get away with using the std reg by using 36lb injectors, but it all depends on how much boost your going to run and how much power your chasing?

there is also the option as above, but use a au fuel rail and fit the ba xr6t 400kpa fuel reg this will also work really well ...

a walbro 255 pump is a fairly easy fit to the factory carrier and flows well, thats what im using...

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:05 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

troyman,

what would you recommend then for a low boost supercharged (eaton m112) tuned with a j3 chip?

bigger injectors and control via the ecu or use a rising rate fuel reg? the fuel side of things confuses the hell out of me.

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
using the j3 i think you can get away with using the std reg by using 36lb injectors, but it all depends on how much boost your going to run and how much power your chasing?

there is also the option as above, but use a au fuel rail and fit the ba xr6t 400kpa fuel reg this will also work really well ...

a walbro 255 pump is a fairly easy fit to the factory carrier and flows well, thats what im using...

Sounds like there are a few different ways around it. My thoughts so far would be to put a Walbro 255 in and a rising rate fuel reg along with the standard injectors.
I would be running a low boost system of around 6psi and chasing about 180 - 200 rwkw. Think the fuel system will be ok with that ?

Build Thread:

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:33 pm 

NSW, Australia

ausedwagon wrote:
troyman,

what would you recommend then for a low boost supercharged (eaton m112) tuned with a j3 chip?

bigger injectors and control via the ecu or use a rising rate fuel reg? the fuel side of things confuses the hell out of me.

i think 36lb or 42 lb injectors with the au fuel rail using the ba xr6t regulator will be a easy reliable way to go..

i originally had the ba 29lb injectors in mine with the au xr6 fuel reg and they maxed out around 200rwkw, i then went up to 36lb injectors and was easy fine at 216rwkw. that was supercharged.. i could have just changed the reg to gain fuel from more pressure, but my tuner prefered me to use bigger injectors instead, his theory it was better to take advantage of the high fuel flow over a higher pressure loading up the pump..

B Bear wrote:

imo they will do the job nicely for a mild boost and power expectation..

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ausedwagon wrote:
troyman,

As there are many different ways to go about doing it, I'd speak with whoever is going to tune it, and see what they prefer.
I'm doing mine with AU injectors, Bosch 023 pump and a Vortech SuperFMU. The Super FMU is needed because I have a billet fuel rail, so this does base fuel pressure, vac fuel pressure, and boost pressure. And a few other nifty things.
To do it the high pressure way, you need to use Bosch pumps. Apparently the walbro's don't like high pressure for long.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the information guys, I am now understanding this whole fuel business a lot better.

I was looking at the Walbro 255 pumps and they have mixed reviews, some people say they don't work too well under the turbo application others say they are fine :?

I also looking at a Bosch 044 can this be placed in the original cradle or are modifications needed?

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

044 is an inline pump.
You want an 023 to fit in the tank.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:23 pm 

NSW, Australia

B Bear wrote:
Thanks for the information guys, I am now understanding this whole fuel business a lot better.

I was looking at the Walbro 255 pumps and they have mixed reviews, some people say they don't work too well under the turbo application others say they are fine :?

I also looking at a Bosch 044 can this be placed in the original cradle or are modifications needed?

imo. providing the walbro is not under excessive high pressure, eg. fmu, they are a good pump.
ive had mine for over 3 years now.
i have heard alot of people diss them because they use them with fmu;s and they s**t them selves, not to mention there are alot of cheap a** walbro coppies out there..

if your going the fmu fit a bosch pump..

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

MAD wrote:
044 is an inline pump.

Ah yes ! I forgot about the 023, I will check them out too.

TROYMAN wrote:
B Bear wrote:

imo. providing the walbro is not under excessive high pressure, eg. fmu, they are a good pump.
i have heard alot of people diss them because they use them with fmu;s and they s**t them selves, not to mention there are alot of cheap a** walbro coppies out there..

if your going the fmu fit a bosch pump..

I see, the penny finally dropped on the whole FMU thing before.
Sounds like the best way to go would be
- Walbro 255
- 30 - 42lbs Injectors
- Adjustable Fuel Reg

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

B Bear wrote:
MAD wrote:
044 is an inline pump.

TROYMAN wrote:
B Bear wrote:

i have heard alot of people diss them because they use them with fmu;s and they s**t them selves, not to mention there are alot of cheap a** walbro copies out there..

if your going the fmu fit a Bosch pump..

- Walbro 255
- 30 - 42lbs Injectors
- Adjustable Fuel Reg

Plus some sort of tuning tool ??? Advance curve needs to be tuned different to N/A ..
Retard as boost increases etc... J port or stand alone ECU like Haltech, EMS, Microtech,Link etc..
Talk to whoever is doing the tune and use what he's familiar with..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
B Bear wrote:
MAD wrote:
044 is an inline pump.

TROYMAN wrote:
B Bear wrote:

i have heard alot of people diss them because they use them with fmu;s and they s**t them selves, not to mention there are alot of cheap a** walbro copies out there..

if your going the fmu fit a Bosch pump..

- Walbro 255
- 30 - 42lbs Injectors
- Adjustable Fuel Reg

Plus some sort of tuning tool ??? Advance curve needs to be tuned different to N/A ..
Retard as boost increases etc... J port or stand alone ECU like Haltech, EMS, Microtech,Link etc..
Talk to whoever is doing the tune and use what he's familiar with..

Oh damn! Forgot to mention that bit, I plan on getting it tuned again through my j3 chip.
I will talk to the tuner and said what he says.

Build Thread:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next