Fordmods Logo

supercharger engine upgrades 

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: supercharger engine upgrades
Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

If you were to run a big vortech/procharger or similar, which could accept 'pulleying up' to say....18-20psi, then an air to air would be fine (though consistent temps can still be an issue).

With a raptor or similar, they can't be sped up to these boost levels. Probably a max of 12psi. Run that through an air/air and you've got a MAX of about 9psi after pressure drop through the core/pipework....that is the very most boost you will get out of your unit.

Water/air means you can speed the little blowers up to whatever their internals can handle (eg. 12psi), and through minimal pressure drop come out with a cool 11-12psi reaching the engine. As Dan said turbos are easier to just 'turn up the boost'. You can't keep going to smaller pulleys on our units to make up for intercooler pressure drop...so water/air works the best. Aside from the abovementioned benefits of water/air on any boosted car (turbo/super) there is no reason not to run an air/air on a high pressure supercharger.

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Falcon AUII XR6 HP

Power: 184 rwkw

NSW, Australia

from the dsussion that has been goin on here, i think that w2a would be the best option to go with a raptor!!!!! And its goold that mraptor are desaigning one as we speak for the AU falcon!

i only got a reply from wade cams and they said to use the profile 992AF12 with the raptor supercharger setup in the AU!! Iv added the info sheet they sent with the email!!

so, if i run this cam and a w2a cooler with the raptor, play with my diff ratios a bit, i should get close to 250rwkw hopefully (in theory anyway)!!

Attachments:
Wade cam sheet.txt [2.81 KiB]
Downloaded 244 times

184 rwkw with more to go!

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Don't think about the numbers. You'll get a smile from your dial every time you lean on that throttle without the depression of a lower than expected dyno figure.

If you are really that interested in numbers and numbers alone then anything over 224kw (300hp) at the wheels is your fun target.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:56 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
My guess is a cross between packaging, stealthy appearance and efficiency.

I'm looking into designing a multiple pass water to air intercooler with ice box for a turbo I6 and there is not much out there in terms of schematics and flow patterns.

have you seen those laminova cores?

for anyone wanting to learn a bit more about w2a, probably the best info on water to air I've seen is on the ARE website (they did TRYHRDs charge cooling, and theres a pretty good breakdown of the build up on that).

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I was actually thinking of using a delta fin core. In air to air aplicaions they have massive pressure drop but allow plenty of ambient air flow. In a water to air application this is perfect. My main lack of understanding comes from water flow through the core. Common sense dictates that the majority of the water fill flow through the lower tubes in the core, thus rendering the upper tubes useless unless the water is pumped through there at a high pressure and flow rate.

Will check out the ARE site. edit: Its one of the first sites I looked at in my search.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:15 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

Make sure you've got an hour free when you check the ARE website...those guys are super detailed in what they do!

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It looked like a bit too much marketing kerfuffle and not all that much substance, but then again my attention span is not what it used to be.
Would you seriously put up all of your data on your website? f**k no as anyone with half a brain would be able do duplicate it and undercut you. Especially these days with anyone that has a Tig Welder setting up a business that sells fabricated go fast parts.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:03 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i found it anything but marketing kerfuffle if you get into it a bit.
they aren't putting up sensitive data (they make a point of blanking s**t, in regards to the calcs they use to determine optimal core size).
it's worth a decent read through, i reckon anyway.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

Raptor1603 wrote:
from the dsussion that has been goin on here, i think that w2a would be the best option to go with a raptor!!!!! And its goold that mraptor are desaigning one as we speak for the AU falcon!

i only got a reply from wade cams and they said to use the profile 992AF12 with the raptor supercharger setup in the AU!! Iv added the info sheet they sent with the email!!

so, if i run this cam and a w2a cooler with the raptor, play with my diff ratios a bit, i should get close to 250rwkw hopefully (in theory anyway)!!

Thanks for the Wade info mate. I would dare say you would certainly reach your target of 250rwkw with a combo like you have explained. It will depend on the condition of your existing drive train though. i.e. trans condition, diff etc.

If I get over 220rwkw with a w2a kit, a smaller boost pulley and some tuning I will be wrapped.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

So be it.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Falcon AUII XR6 HP

Power: 184 rwkw

NSW, Australia

shav wrote:
Raptor1603 wrote:

Thanks for the Wade info mate. I would dare say you would certainly reach your target of 250rwkw with a combo like you have explained. It will depend on the condition of your existing drive train though. i.e. trans condition, diff etc.

If I get over 220rwkw with a w2a kit, a smaller boost pulley and some tuning I will be wrapped.

I should be happy wether i get over 250kw cause either way, i know ill get close lol!!!!

About the drivetrain, i should be fine there as next friday im installing a new gearbox with a cooler, and when i install the sc, im also changing my diff ratios!!!! and i have a spare d/shaft!! 8-) i apologize if i sound C**k, but im trying to prepare for the best outcome!

Hopefully your build will go to plan!! from what you said your plan is, you should get over 220kw peice of cake!!! cant wait to hear what results you get!!!

184 rwkw with more to go!

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

I'll make a post with my findings. Im expecting great things. 8-)

Cheers
Shav

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3