Turbo on N/A TX5 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Turbo on N/A TX5
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: TX5

NSW, Australia

Hey,

I have been thinking about turboing my TX5 with the turbo parts from a turbo variant. I have been trying to track down someone who would have an idea of what i need to do to chase decent times down the strip..

I have an idea of what i need to do,i just want to clarify i got the right idea. Instead of just bolting on the stock parts, i was going to install the right upgrades first, to save time and money.

I realise i need
larger injectors
upgraded fuel pump
a decent intercooler (not a truck one.. something that will do the job and can hide behind my front bar)
turbo manifold
turbo (obviously :P)
piping to connect everything
a new ecu (or tunable piggyback chip.. thinking of a greddy emanage)
blow off valve

I am pretty sure that is mostly everything, if i am missing anything can someone point me in the right direction.

I am just doing research atm, once i know how i will put it together, then i will search for parts.

thanks

:D

Ford AT Telstar TX5 Ghia

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

it's good start but you are going to have troubles with the mazda gear box.
most of them don't last very long with high power.

that being said you're going to have to rebuild the engine.
the compression will be to high for high boost.
and the TX5s are getting old now.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Telstar TX5

VIC, Australia

i've got the 88 AT2 TX5 n/a. i did a fair bit of research into turbo'ing my n/a and in the end it was going to be a hell of a lot less effort and money for me to save up $1k, sell my n/a for $4k and buy the turbo version for $5k. i would rather put the time and effort into turbo'ing my n/a, for the sense of satisfaction that i'd done that work and gotten the extra kw on my own, but i just dont have the time and the extra $$.
but yeah, the list you have there is pretty complete, but tickford_6 is right about the gearbox. i bought my tx5 off a mate, and he killed the gearbox in it after 2 weeks of ownership. so if you turbo it, the gearbox wont be able to take the strain for very long. i was lucky that he killed the gearbox cos he put some sort of good gearbox in it (im not sure what sort) and now i can give it a hammering without having ne troubles :)
good luck mate, and keep us posted if you decide to go through with it, i'd be interested to hear how it goes

1988 AT2 Telstar TX5 Ghia - Lowered, 15" Tires, Shaved Ported & Polished Head, 2.5" Exhaust w/ 3" Chrome Dump Tip, K'n'N Pod Filter, HKS Super Fire Spark Plugs, Kenwood head deck, kenwood 4" 3-way's, clarion 6x9" 3-way's, 1200watt 5chan Boss Audio BA5000 amp, 15" Phoenix Gold Sub

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

I've got a mate that has completely rebuilt his TX-5 and it looks f**k hot. The thing flies..although the brakes on it are the scariest i've ever touched. If you can do this job properly (ie about 3-4 grand) you'd love the result.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Telstar TX5

VIC, Australia

yeah when i sell my n/a tx5 and buy an 88 TX5 Turbo im gonna put a few $k into it straight away. completely rebuild the motor, performance exhaust, s6 fd rx7 injectors, greddy emanage piggy back ecu, some sort of performance suspension, nice paint and 17" rims. should have it runnin and lookin awesome ready 4 next years all ford day :)

1988 AT2 Telstar TX5 Ghia - Lowered, 15" Tires, Shaved Ported & Polished Head, 2.5" Exhaust w/ 3" Chrome Dump Tip, K'n'N Pod Filter, HKS Super Fire Spark Plugs, Kenwood head deck, kenwood 4" 3-way's, clarion 6x9" 3-way's, 1200watt 5chan Boss Audio BA5000 amp, 15" Phoenix Gold Sub

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]