Fordmods Logo

Turbo or SC help - Hunter Valley 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Turbo or SC help - Hunter Valley
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:50 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

Is there anyone based in Newcastle, Hunter Valley or Central Coast who has put a turbo or SC into an E-series or AU 6 who is willing to show me their car?

I'm looking to "upgrade" my AU wagon & have no real preference between turbo and SC, but would like to see real examples of the finished workmanship before going ahead.

It sounds like the easiest option would be a CAPA kit, as it seems to have everything down to nuts & bolts, but I'm having trouble finding info on local people who could fit a turbo, so I can't tell if there are cheaper options.

Any info on engineering, insurance etc would be most appreciated.

Oh, the car is dual-fuel BTW.

Regards,
Tony.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

I would think insurance, the engineers certificate, and being a car with Duel Fuel, a Blower would be the best option, but someone else will have more knowledge on the being able to or not being able to run a Force car with Duel Fuel.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

dual fuel can be messy when chasing power due to restriction of induction airflow , if you want to stick with gas i would go direct gas injection , or run a gas carby and remove unwanted weight such as fuel tank e.t.c , when running soley on gas you can remve your cat as well you will also save on ecu fuel pumps e.t.c hope this helps

Post subject: Re: Turbo or SC help - Hunter Valley
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

sly wrote:
Is there anyone based in Newcastle, Hunter Valley or Central Coast who has put a turbo or SC into an E-series or AU 6 who is willing to show me their car?

I'm looking to "upgrade" my AU wagon & have no real preference between turbo and SC, but would like to see real examples of the finished workmanship before going ahead.

It sounds like the easiest option would be a CAPA kit, as it seems to have everything down to nuts & bolts, but I'm having trouble finding info on local people who could fit a turbo, so I can't tell if there are cheaper options.

Any info on engineering, insurance etc would be most appreciated.

Oh, the car is dual-fuel BTW.

Regards,
Tony.

I am four hours away but happy to show you my car. It is an AU turbo with LPG (was duel fuel) it is engineered and legal.

You can fit a Turbo yourself, if you can change an exhaust manifold gasket, you can fit the turbo, then just take it to an exhaust shop to have a system and the intake piping fitted. Its not rocket science, especially with the support available on line.

I have a prefernce for Turbo's in most applications.

Turbo AU falcon LPG 222.5 RWKW.
BAMKII XR6T with SVI - the first one!.
CR500E - Road registered CR500
VF1000R Mid 80's racer built as a HMP special
T88 Turbo XT Falcon with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

TURBOTAXI wrote:
I am four hours away but happy to show you my car. It is an AU turbo with LPG (was duel fuel) it is engineered and legal.

Hmmm... last time I drove to Dubbo it only took 3 hours 8-) I'll keep you in mind next time I'm heading out that way.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey ne1 have a vauge idea of what a engineers cert costs???

Bit off topic i kno.....

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

gryph wrote:
Hey ne1 have a vauge idea of what a engineers cert costs???

Bit off topic i kno.....

Depends on who does it and what state... 200ish to 500ish

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

TURBOTAXI wrote:

I'd guess that at 6 PSI on LPG you'd still be using the std computer and wouldn't need an intercooler? Any idea what power it makes?

TURBOTAXI wrote:
You can fit a Turbo yourself, if you can change an exhaust manifold gasket, you can fit the turbo, then just take it to an exhaust shop to have a system and the intake piping fitted. Its not rocket science, especially with the support available on line.

Did you drill the sump yourself for the oil return line?

TURBOTAXI wrote:

I read somewhere (Zoom mag???) that it's a lot easier to keep an I6 EPA legal with a turbo than with a SC. I was looking for something off the shelf - the CAPA kit seems very complete, I haven't really found anything similar for a turbo, although the TSA kit comes close. Their info is quite old tho, the website last updated in 2002. They also don't say what sort of power to expect from 5 PSI boost, nor what it costs. Going turbo seems to be a lot more DIY than SC.

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

sly wrote:
TURBOTAXI wrote:

I'd guess that at 6 PSI on LPG you'd still be using the std computer and wouldn't need an intercooler? Any idea what power it makes?

Has standard ECU, still need timing mods. I have a cooler (Front mount) and would reccomend fitting one. So far I have seen only 148rwkw, but now I have a bigger convertor and a number of other improvements.

TURBOTAXI wrote:

Did you drill the sump yourself for the oil return line?

Yeah, that was not hard.

TURBOTAXI wrote:

I read somewhere (Zoom mag???) that it's a lot easier to keep an I6 EPA legal with a turbo than with a SC. I was looking for something off the shelf - the CAPA kit seems very complete, I haven't really found anything similar for a turbo, although the TSA kit comes close. Their info is quite old tho, the website last updated in 2002. They also don't say what sort of power to expect from 5 PSI boost, nor what it costs. Going turbo seems to be a lot more DIY than SC.

Depends what you buy. I bought a snort kit, they seem to be good value.
Nothing is too cheap in this arena!

Turbo AU falcon LPG 222.5 RWKW.
BAMKII XR6T with SVI - the first one!.
CR500E - Road registered CR500
VF1000R Mid 80's racer built as a HMP special
T88 Turbo XT Falcon with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]