Fordmods Logo

Turbo vs Supercharger? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Turbo vs Supercharger?
Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

Snort performance are working on a few Supercharger setups that might be of interest.

One using an M112, the other using a Whipple.
Both would be highly suitable for burnouts.

more so then a Vortech :/

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

80crm wrote:
I remember an article where they compared a factory BA XR6T ute against a Vortech supercharged ute (a $6000 kit) and the XR6T beat it in all things they tested. So I would buy a XR6T and work that instead. But a supercharger would be less common so has some appeal.

That's weird as we've run stock BA XR6T's(sports exhaust system) against the stock Raptor Supercharger set up on BA's(extractors,2 1/2 inch system) and the Raptor is about 3 car lengths in front by 100MPH every time.
My Supercharged BA ute is definitely quicker than my BA XR6T was but nowhere near as fast as my Twin Turbo AUXR8 was.
For simplicity and DIY go a Raptor Supercharger.If you are going to ramp it up later maybe the turbo though it can get expensive.
Just do it.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

Be crazy do both. Haha id love to see a turbo supercharged ba would be awesome. Id feel sorry for the poor bloke that has to attempt to tune it tho

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

agrees with EFFalcon if you want something different for a good price and off idle torque snorts new screw charger kit looks fraking awesome for $3.5k. wouldnt make the same peak HP as a good turbo setup but would kill it for off idle torque and throttle response.

would be perfect for burnouts with a 3.45 or higher rear end.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Four elevens woo hooo.

BA XL ute.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Talk about thread mining..... 4yr old thread

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

67RCE wrote:
Talk about thread mining..... 4yr old thread

Man i didn't even notice,i'll be fugged.

BA XL ute.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

This has been done to death I would assume search didn't help me but here is another go at it. In the comming months I want to place some kind of forced induction onto my AUII XR6, now the thing I know minor things about turbos and superchargers, but enough to get me thru.

Ideally I would want something that is minimun in cost, minor tune required. I am not worried about power as such just to be a bit quicker off the line at the local drag days.

Any feedback would be really good.

Cheers Geoff.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

If 10psi is your maximum boost then id go the raptor, if auto id get a 3000rpm stally regardless of turbo/raptor, if you supercharge it get a 3.9 diff gear set.

If car is thrashed to the s**t house you will kill the gearbox regardless of auto or manual.

If the turbo is sized correctly you might get more torque off the line than the raptor(at the expense of fuel economy).

Noone has done a full house raptor yet so its abit hard to say max power out of the blower but i recon my old xr8 with the raptor would have gone just as good with an intercooler, atm turbo is nearly 4 tenths quicker which is f**k all really for $ spent.

Really how fast do you want to spend?

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

[
The car is a standard AUII XR6 Falcon with lsd (don't know the ratio) The motor has did about 150 thou kms and was owned by telstra and a moderated aged lady before me, the cars runs smooth as, it does have a slight idle issue when going to first and coming to a complete stop. Five speed manual

I don't want to hurt the motor just give it a little omph, I don't know budget wise but i am thinking around the 3g mark give or take. I just want to get some off the line speed. I want to start participating in the local drags and still have a drivable car..

I don't want a "cake and eat it too" scenero.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Id suggest looking in for sale sections for either power maker, if plug n play is what your after the raptor can come on and off in a few hours and no need to remove exhaust if it has to come off.

being a manuel id suggest 3.7 lsd

Centri blowers are better on manuels look for the price your looking at second hand stuff so.....

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Blower, though it would be positive displacement.

For a street car anyways, also depends on whats under the bonnet and how strong the motor is too.

For a 6 it would be silly to go anything other than a turbo, though there are more then one way to skin a cat.

The turbo drag cars always go well, im a big fan, shame the race is lost due to poor reaction waiting for spool.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:53 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

[quote="Froudey"]This has been done to death I would assume search didn't help me but here is another go at it. In the comming months I want to place some kind of forced induction onto my AUII XR6, now the thing I know minor things about turbos and superchargers, but enough to get me thru.

Ideally I would want something that is minimun in cost, minor tune required. I am not worried about power as such just to be a bit quicker off the line at the local drag days. [quote]

Sounds like you're pretty much describing a raptor or similar kit! Minimum cost, minor (or no) tuning, bit quicker off the line, etc.

The centri SC's won't compete with a good turbo setup for outright power or speed. But they are simple, and great to drive on the road. Response is instant, the way they develop power is linear (like your engine normally), but a lot quicker and more powerful. Because they build boost with revs they're easier on drivetrains, and economy is as good or better than standard.

The raptor kits are hard to go past for their price and specific development for your vehicle. Just a bit out of your current price range! Save some more or look second hand.

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

JoeXR6 wrote:
Froudey wrote:
This has been done to death I would assume search didn't help me but here is another go at it. In the comming months I want to place some kind of forced induction onto my AUII XR6, now the thing I know minor things about turbos and superchargers, but enough to get me thru.

Ideally I would want something that is minimun in cost, minor tune required. I am not worried about power as such just to be a bit quicker off the line at the local drag days.

Sounds like you're pretty much describing a raptor or similar kit! Minimum cost, minor (or no) tuning, bit quicker off the line, etc.

The centri SC's won't compete with a good turbo setup for outright power or speed. But they are simple, and great to drive on the road. Response is instant, the way they develop power is linear (like your engine normally), but a lot quicker and more powerful. Because they build boost with revs they're easier on drivetrains, and economy is as good or better than standard.

The raptor kits are hard to go past for their price and specific development for your vehicle. Just a bit out of your current price range! Save some more or look second hand.

Joe

Yeah I mght save up some more money and get a hold of raptor.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

I have a Raptor kit on my AU auto which I bought the kit second hand. Powerwise its not beating any world records, but it holds it own so to speak and it certainly makes people look twice.

Comparatively, it will have nearly the same power as a standard BA xr6 turbo. So for my liking its good enough. Plus there is that stealth factor. Apart from the light whine of the s/c you wouldnt know its boosted.

Cheers
Shav

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next