Fordmods Logo

V1 S-Trim Installing Soon.... 

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Waggin wrote:
I'm happy to host the manual, assuming no legal issues in doing so :)

Not sure on legal issues but the reason I didn't post it for all to see is that it was developed for the CAPA kits and I am not sure they want to hand it out to everyone because it may take business away from them I guess.

Anyway, 30lb injectors will handle around 300-330kw on a blown engine so should be fine without a FMU as long as you have a decent way of tuning the engine and you stay at around 10-12psi. I would look at the EMS stinger for a cheapo and decent unit, from memory most dealers do it for around $1600 fitted and tuned.

The pulley system will be different on the I6 to the V8, I think you will need to get at least the crank and powersteering pulley from CAPA. I will probably have my blower bracket off in the next few weeks so I can take some pics and measurements if needed.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Cheers, thanks guys

Yeah i thought i may have to get Water Injection, but i wasn't really sure of whether i would need or not.
I'll speak to CAPA about getting a few of the pulleys and water injection if its a must for the Vortech.

If i can't get a swap for the bracket i have, any measurements would be great. But i'll let you know if i may need some measurements. Thanks for the offer.

Ok, so if i run 30lb injectors an FMU may not be required, i'm pretty much going to go the aftermarket computer unless i can get the Tweecer, which seems doubtful. So i'm guessing, that would be a good enough tune, to run it with no FMU?

ED XR8, would there be any other way that i would be able to get the file off you, without posting it here at all?
Also, the EMS Stinger, would that be able to tune the motor fairly well. Cause i know that the tune is pretty much the most important part of this whole process. I kind of just want it tuned and running right, cause i really don't want to touch or change anything, thats one part i really don't want to muck around with, the ECU side of things.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The stinger would be a decent unit for your application IMO. It does have less tunign resolution than the 8860 which is another $600 or so but what you will find is that with the vortech blower, power and boost are fairly linear which means tuning is fairly straight forward.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks mate, i'll have to have a look out for a dealer that will sell and install one in Victoria!

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I would be throwing 36lb injectors on there with appropriate Vortech /C&L or Pro-m maf..Walbro 255 intank pump.. Do away with FMU and you are laughing...
If you run too small injectors you'll lean out easy and detonate causing all sorts of issues..The first is blown head gasgets IF you are lucky...Check what std turbo motors use!! No bloody way anything around 24 lb/ 240cc..
This may help....

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/pdf ... G218IM.PDF

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I was wondering why Joe from Cresent Motorsports was saying to get 24lb Injectors when everyone else has said to get 42lb's.
So if i got 36lb or 42lb Injectors, they would be ok to run with say an AU 70mm MAF and a 65mm Throttle Body. As i'm going to get a Walbro Fuel Pump as well.
If i get it all tuned with an aftermarket ECU, there shouldn't be any problem in getting it running well, right?

So if i get Big injectors, MAF and Throttle Body, they aren't going to harm the motor in anyway are they??? I'm only running 8 PSI and looking for around 200rwkw-220rwkw.

Dave

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

With correct maf and not too much initial advance you will be fine with 42's.. Hell the Ford Lightning came out with 42's std...

Cruzz these forums...Search and hopefully you'll find some answers...

http://www.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=311

Here I searched for you...
http://www.corral.net/forums/search.php?searchid=845159

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I can say that Wolf make a fine ecu... easy to wire up, comes with all the sensors, reads the ford TPS, takes 20mins to get a basic start up and drive tune sitting in your driveway.
Highly recomended :D

Post subject: injector flow
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

24lb injectors @40psi fuel pressure x 8 cylinders x 0.55 bsfc = 205kw
@80% duty cylce

so you don't think with a 10:1 or even a 12:1 rising rate & a piggy back & bigger pump would'nt be safe !!......you'll get your 200-220 rwkw.. it works !

If you want more power the combination changes

this is based on a std 5.0ltr motor with a bolt on 8psi blower

s**t Geoff at Snort Performance was getting 180rwkw from an i6 with one of his bolt on turbo set up with std pump, std injectors factory ECU & an rising rate reg.

Joe C/M

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Rising rates do work but they sometimes seem hit and miss. In the US where they seem to be forced induction crazy, there are many stories of the rising rate regs failing or gradually becoming less effective causing engien damage etc.

I ran 240rwkw with 24lb injectors and an FMU and it was very rich and was not showing any signs of maxing out but I went to 42lb injectors and got rid of the FMU because I beleive it is a faw better and safer way of doing it. It is also easier to tune especially with the Ford EECIV/V system.

Post subject: injector size
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

true, but with the combo that you ran you did'nt have a problem.....I suggest this set up as he said that at this stage this will be an all day drive car giving him best economy & best & safe power for what he wanted... until he decided to go bigger with every thing

Joe C/M

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I did make decent power but it was far from ideal. FMUs don't give good fuel economy though because they generally run fairly rich. It is a safe AF ratio but not good for power or economy.

IMO if you are going to purchase 24lb injectors and an FMU, it would work out the same cost or even cheaper to pick up a set of 36 or 42lb injectors.

Post subject: injectoe size
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

What are you putting out now ? have you done any other mods ?
240rwkw are good numbers

Joe. C/M

Post subject: Re: injectoe size
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:
What are you putting out now ? have you done any other mods ?
240rwkw are good numbers

Joe. C/M

Since that figure I fitted a larger cam, had more head work done and upgraded the MAF and fuel injectors and increased boost from 7 to 11psi. I also went from a CAPA programmed chip to a Tweecer. I have a couple of problems to sort out and the tuning isn't done yet, I hope to have it sorted out and some dyno figures in the next 3-4 weeks.

Post subject: injector size
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

intrested to see what you get, also good to see your using the tweecer as well, as you know the support is limmited at this stage but hopefully things will change... Pete's still nutting it out.
anyway what I recomended for his current set up IMO will be ok, & he definalty will not lean out which was a concern, & so far I've have'nt had any problems with the brand of R/R that we've being using & its not malpasi.

at the end of the day he can go bigger with T/B, maf, injectors & engine mods & MORE BOOST when he's ready, but why dose he need 42lb, inj 90mm maf & 85 mm t/b with a stock 5.0ltr ?????? even with 8psi on it, which is what he suggested to me.
Plus he can get that stuf cheap all from an AU ll 200kw motor.

Joe C/M

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next