Whats Required? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Whats Required?
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey guys
Ive been browsing here a couple months now and am in the market for finding an EF2 XR6.
Ive already got a few plans on my mind when i get one but thinking about getting a turbo for it. What kind of internals do i need to change to make around 300kw? and what is the best way of getting there? Also what kind of price range are we looking at?
Any help would be great
Thanks
Josh

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:40 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

turbo/supercharger + $$$.

forget the e series, you want that sort of power, you need to know an e-series engine pretty damn well, Just get yourself an xr6T, edit and away you go, straight to the nearest telegraph pole.

Do you want that power at the wheels? remember mate.. Brand NEW Ford and Holden V8's are only at this power level in the last few years.. 300kw out of an E-series I6.. to quote Micheal Caton "Tell him, he's dreaming"

Also how many times you want it to make 300 kw? once? B I G Shot of Nos..

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Thanks for shattering my dreams haha!!!!
Nah thanks for the advice!! ......... what kind of power is it capable for fairly cheap price range? If i get a turbo kit on the stock internals u can run 6psi yeah? what kind of kw does that make?
cheers

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
turbo/supercharger + $$$.

forget the e series, you want that sort of power, you need to know an e-series engine pretty damn well, Just get yourself an xr6T, edit and away you go, straight to the nearest telegraph pole.

Do you want that power at the wheels? remember mate.. Brand NEW Ford and Holden V8's are only at this power level in the last few years.. 300kw out of an E-series I6.. to quote Micheal Caton "Tell him, he's dreaming"

Also how many times you want it to make 300 kw? once? B I G Shot of Nos..

wtf.

10-12 psi will get u 300fwkw on a stock engine, and if its tuned write it would live for ever.

300rwkw would require some top end work, but it would still make 300rwkw day in day out with out trouble as long as its tuned right.

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Aim for 250 or so rwkw.. That way the auto etc will stay together.. If the engine is in good condition.. It will last ... Having said that 300 rwkw can be achieved.. The SOHC 4.0 is ROBUST engine...
Its bad tune that kills them!!!
The rods etc on the XR6T's are realy NO different than AU rods...EVen the XR6T's pistons are cast!! Meaning they are nothing special...Just lower comp... If you want you can buy an AU engine and buld a turbo around that...

Wahts required ???
Check out Snort performance...Then get 42Lb injectors... Walbro 255 intank fuel pump...An ECU like EMS etc...Check e bay for cheap intercooler.. If auto fit a trans cooler....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EBII

NSW, Australia

How old are you? Insurance would be the biggest issue..... Money....I've had a good mate of mine just turbo his vl.........those get blown all the time, parts are avaliable everywhere........he works for street commodores as a journalist.......if its any indication, he too is hoping for 300rwkw (remember, this guy is pretty hooked in with the motoring world) It is costing him $3000 for his bottom end.....

Snort performance do a kit for about $3000 for the turbo, theres your turbocharger, oil lines, fuel reg.........not including injectors, ecu, and also assumes that your engine is all prepared for boosting..........that kit is claimed to make 200-250rwkw, from there, I guess its the same as what i'm looking at with the astron, scored myself a t3/t4 :P fun fun, but seeing as I have a spare engine lying around, i'm not too fussed if it dies, so yea, for me, decompress........hope it holds together.... :P

Sombody suggested xr6t here, in all honesty, it will be more reliable, look/feel nicer, quite possibly cost less to buy in the end.

"what kind of power is it capable for fairly cheap price range?"

Wouldnt go turbo unless you're prepared to spend ay.... small price tally, you've just bought your snort kit for $2999 right, I dont really see you getting a new ecu tuned for under 1000.......so 4000 there........we still dont have an intercooler.....injectors....... (thats one company, but even if you score the turbocharger itself for 500 bucks.........still need the rest of the gear.

I am drunk, and just writing garbage, but yea, theres this old saying ive heard, kinda relates to the 300kw for a low cost thing we have going.

Cost, performance, reliabilty, choose any two.

Back in an E series!

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

Why not buy Pyroay it's dirt cheap and punches out 450+rwkw, 33k ono

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

RedRoo wrote:

Ummm because PYROAY is sold and in WA... keep up with it man

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

67RCE wrote:
RedRoo wrote:

Umm its back up for sale.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/fs-wa-py ... 56172.html

Dont buy pyroay, if it was so good then both owners wouldnt have sold it for a BA or are looking to sell it for a BA.

BA's are way newer and cost less. You cant lose.

Dont listen to these jokers who say it cant be done. It can and has been done heaps of times.

Do a search and you will see.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nobody said It couldn't be done, the factor here is price, the person asking the question wants power for a reasonable cost.

Back in an E series!

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

67RCE wrote:
RedRoo wrote:

I'm up with it mate, it's you who isnt.
33k ono + frieght $650 to melb = 33k to me,
For a car with more power than they could legally use and a whoop a*** stereo any ricer would cut their nuts off for,
to bad I'm not 20yrs younger and dont have all these commitments.

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

$33 thousand........geez, thats a lot of car for a reasonable price. To the dude who wants to turbo that ef, when you mentioned that you wanted performance for a low cost, what kind of price bracket did you have in mind?

Back in an E series!

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

thanks for all the help guys, kind of getting different opinions but its good to see what people have to say. I have creamed myself reading up on Pyroay and as id love to own it and drive it i think that not building it takes half the fun away!!!
As with cost im looking at!!! people dont laugh yet but what kind of setup can i get from $5g not including extractors n zuast.
Thanks again
Josh

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

5g soon becomes 6g.........so on, I don't doubt that if you diy, it can be done relatively cheapish, but yea.... :P. Hypothetically, your car is in your driveway, shes turbo, ready to rock.....can it be insured in your name?

I can get a particular car, runs 13's from factory, full leather interior........12 grand........can't insure the thing :(

Back in an E series!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next