Fordmods Logo

will Stage 3 kill my car?! 

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: will Stage 3 kill my car?!
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hi all

Ive begun collecting parts for my soon to be Turbo EF, i was going to run a snort stage 3 kit, with the usual fuel delivery upgrades, 3 inch exhaust, shift kit, and a remapped ECU. and was hoping for around 260- 280RWKW, which is apparently well within the kits ability. but im worried about what that pressure could do to my cars engine. it has around 220k on the clock pretty much stock (family car, had it for 16 years so i know its history) , idles great, plenty of oil pressure and no knocks. but i went and saw my mates blown manual 3.9 litre today and it looks like his 6th big end has blown out of the sump, and he was only pushing 164 at the wheels, on 3 psi of boost, i was wondering if anyone has tried my setup and had any issues? as i would rather not completely kill my car!
any advice would be great!

Cheers :)

It's not the speed that kills you... It's the sudden stop!

Post subject: Re: will Stage 3 kill my car?!
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

The big end has blown out of the sump?

What do you mean?

I reckon 260 is pushing it for a stock motor. Dont expect it to last long.

Get it tuned properly and start thinking about a rebuilt engine.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

we dont know yet, but it looks like the connecting end to the crankshaft from the rod of the sixth piston, looks like its come loose and smashed a hole in the side of his motor! excuse my lack of knowledge on the naming of such parts haha

as for the motor rebuild how far would i have to go for that? forged pistons etc?

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

it all comes down to how much boost you run, how you treat the engine and most important the tuning side of it...
if the engine is showing signs of age, well you know it wont last long..

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It all comes back to the standard rules of performance.
You can have cheap , fast and reliable.
Problem is you can only have 2 out of the 3.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I think your right mate, i want fast and reliable....
the old girl needs a good rebuild anyway haha

Cheers :D

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

just wondering i was planning between 8-9 psi, that would probly mean a pretty drastic rebuild?
How much boost and work did you do to yours Troyman?

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:05 am 

NSW, Australia

Low EF 18 wrote:
just wondering i was planning between 8-9 psi, that would probly mean a pretty drastic rebuild?
How much boost and work did you do to yours Troyman?

umm no engine work, the engines bottom end and head is std, its been running 12psi for close to 2 years now.
still as healthy as it always was... :) although mine only has 120.000km on it..

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Just pray VTEC doesn't kick in yooooo....

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:56 am 

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
Just pray VTEC doesn't kick in yooooo....

:lol: :lol: :lol: no vtec here........

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG XR6 TURBO

NSW, Australia

just to add that yes u can get good power from a stock engine this i know, a mate has a stock ef futura manual running 10 psi with all the usual gear ..it dosnt have any thing done to the ecu at all no addons no chips he had it dyno done on it to see where the air fuel is siting timing and so on.the tuner said with the au v8 injectors its not leaning out not pinging ,and that its doing 180 plus rwkw ,i dont care what any one says that is a good result for a stock standard car i asked the guy about tunning with chips and aftermarket ecu he said that any thing for a e series falcon is ok up to 10 psi as that is what the map sensor reads up to ,,if its a good one that is..and the engine is mechanicaly sound ..he also said depending on what you want u can alway do little adjustment to fine tune it all timing ect ..so yeah as he said the e series engines are pretty durable for turbo ect ..so yeah as he said start small and go from there better to blow and engine then to go big and bounce off a pole ah ............

BANNED

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

shane falcon futura wrote:
just to add that yes u can get good power from a stock engine this i know, a mate has a stock ef futura manual running 10 psi with all the usual gear ..it dosnt have any thing done to the ecu at all no addons no chips he had it dyno done on it to see where the air fuel is siting timing and so on.the tuner said with the au v8 injectors its not leaning out not pinging ,and that its doing 180 plus rwkw ,i dont care what any one says that is a good result for a stock standard car i asked the guy about tunning with chips and aftermarket ecu he said that any thing for a e series falcon is ok up to 10 psi as that is what the map sensor reads up to ,,if its a good one that is..and the engine is mechanicaly sound ..he also said depending on what you want u can alway do little adjustment to fine tune it all timing ect ..so yeah as he said the e series engines are pretty durable for turbo ect ..so yeah as he said start small and go from there better to blow and engine then to go big and bounce off a pole ah ............

Shut up. You've just given the most useless post on this forum. Please make all further "technical advice" posts on www.boostcruising.com

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

hahahah funniest thing ive read all day

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:53 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

the most useless ah well all i can say is mates car is still running good after 6 months of installing turbo fuel reg walbro pump injectors and a standard computer after going for a drive in it its a bloody weapon and it cost him no more than 2 grand to build ,,that is a budget build mate a good one ,,so will a stage three kit kill my car maybe maybe not all depends on how much money u want to spend rebuilding engines and so on sure u can get it chipped or fork out a few grand for a good aftermarket ecu then even more money to get it tunned ,as the tunner said start small and work your way up do ur homwork see what works and what dont and go from there. there are to many dumb asses on here that think they know more than racing car builders and drag car tunners ..there are heaps of cheap builds on here and boosted e series to have a look at so u can make up your own mind better still buy and already built ,,,just a sugestion any way good luck with it all mate just remember build it the way u want ,and can afford ...have fun

BANNED

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:02 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

oh and r67 your so funny ,,they build holdens to get dumb assess like u out of fords..mate people get on here to find out stuff and to get a better under standing of what setup might work well for them so wtf ..................now thats funny

BANNED

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next