Will this BOV work on a centri supercharger? - need advice 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Will this BOV work on a centri supercharger? - need advice
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

I could be picking up a 'turbosmart kompact dual port' BOV tonight that originally is coming off an XR6T.

The current owner of this BOV says that the internal spring of the bov is a moderate one, but should be ok to run on a supercharger.

Can anyone tell me if it will be safe to run the moderate spring in the bov for my setup? or should I go and buy the appropriate spring to suit?

http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?id=44

Spring to suit
http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/FG-BVS-SPCS

Cheers
Shav

Post subject: Re: Will this BOV work on a centri supercharger? - need advice
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I'd be suprised if the current spring is correct for your application - being set for a turbo the spring should be harder than that which you'd want. However, if you purchase the correct spring from Turbosmart it will be all good. But beware, Turbosmart charge a fair whack for the spring, might want to think twice about purchasing it.

Actually. Just checked the link you've got there and that is not the correct spring. That spring is for the full size units, not the Kompact series. You'd want to ring Turbosmart and confirm whether or not they even make a supercharger spring for the Kompact series...

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
I'd be suprised if the current spring is correct for your application - being set for a turbo the spring should be harder than that which you'd want. However, if you purchase the correct spring from Turbosmart it will be all good. But beware, Turbosmart charge a fair whack for the spring, might want to think twice about purchasing it.

Actually. Just checked the link you've got there and that is not the correct spring. That spring is for the full size units, not the Kompact series. You'd want to ring Turbosmart and confirm whether or not they even make a supercharger spring for the Kompact series...

I see, thanks for that info mate. I'll do some calling around.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Just emailed a guy from a place called 'horsepower in a box' about the suitability of the Kompact bov to suit a centri application.

He rang around and spoke with turbosmart themselves and they confirmed that the plumb back Kompact bov spring will be suitable for a supercharged setup.

That being said, I ended up buying it last night and fitting it. I set it really tight so pressure would bleed off at about 1100-1500rpm on, and drove it around for quite some time. No idle issues, no noticeable detrimental changes.

On a positive, I did notice the s/c wanting to spool up a tad quicker. Not majorly but certainly dont have to mash the GO pedal as hard to get the car moving.

I still havent fitted the blanking plate to the other side of the port so the bov isnt audible, but I know its definitely working. Will fit the blanking plate later today and see how loud this thing goes. Hopefully not too loud to get the wrong kind of attention.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Is it open at idle?
It should make no change to your boost unless (as the boost is relative to the speed the blower is being turned):
your previous BOV was opening at the wrong time.
or this one is not venting all the excess pressure when it should be and so your getting better response because there's pressure there already?

One issue with noisey BOVs on a supercharger setup is that the venting noise will continue at idle, as the supercharger is still turning making pressure.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

yes its one of those adjustable types you can set it to be open at idle or not. I made sure there is air bleeding from there at idle. Probably not enough though.

Maybe thats why Im feeling a tad bit more response when driving as the previous bosch one wasnt opening correctly?!?! Not sure. Is there any harm in this?

Might need to adjust it slightly at idle to accept more air out.

Thanks for the heads up about the bov at idle. Hopefully I can set it up right so its not too noisey, otherwise I must just leave the blanking plate off and just plumb it back into the s/c instead of atmo?

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

shav wrote:
yes its one of those adjustable types you can set it to be open at idle or not. I made sure there is air bleeding from there at idle. Probably not enough though.

Maybe thats why Im feeling a tad bit more response when driving as the previous bosch one wasnt opening correctly?!?! Not sure. Is there any harm in this?

Might need to adjust it slightly at idle to accept more air out.

Thanks for the heads up about the bov at idle. Hopefully I can set it up right so its not too noisey, otherwise I must just leave the blanking plate off and just plumb it back into the s/c instead of atmo?

By the sounds of it you might not be venting enough air at idle? But I'm not overly sure on that one.

In relation to noise, that can be affected depending on how you plumb it. Yes, plumbing it back into the air intake will be the quietest, but alternatively you can just put a hose on it and run it down to the bottom of the engine bay, which should held to reduce the noise. I've actually got a trumpet on mine and it's horribly noisy at idle, but fun to make big pssssshhh noises while driving.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:03 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

you really need it venting at idle and low rpm/closed throttle otherwise it can put un due stress on the internal charger belt

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
you really need it venting at idle and low rpm/closed throttle otherwise it can put un due stress on the internal charger belt

Thanks Troy. I'll adjust it today again and make sure Im getting more air out at idle.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:13 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i was thinking about changing my bov aswell, but the bosch one seems to be doing the job perfectly..

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
i was thinking about changing my bov aswell, but the bosch one seems to be doing the job perfectly..

If ya happy with it mate, keep it. :wink:

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

shav wrote:
Just emailed a guy from a place called 'horsepower in a box' about the suitability of the Kompact bov to suit a centri application.

He rang around and spoke with turbosmart themselves and they confirmed that the plumb back Kompact bov spring will be suitable for a supercharged setup.

That being said, I ended up buying it last night and fitting it. I set it really tight so pressure would bleed off at about 1100-1500rpm on, and drove it around for quite some time. No idle issues, no noticeable detrimental changes.

On a positive, I did notice the s/c wanting to spool up a tad quicker. Not majorly but certainly dont have to mash the GO pedal as hard to get the car moving.

I still havent fitted the blanking plate to the other side of the port so the bov isnt audible, but I know its definitely working. Will fit the blanking plate later today and see how loud this thing goes. Hopefully not too loud to get the wrong kind of attention.

It will be running a little leaner from the bottom like this so you were probably a little rich before and it feels faster now as the mixture is closer.
PS stop running it like this as we don't want flutter,but clean up the jetting down low..

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks cooky. Im gonna get it all retuned and sorted when I get my w2a kit installed. I dont push the car hard very often, but if I think there is reason to, I'll retune earlier to get the mixtures right.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

It's probably a little rich but that might keep her cooler in traffic too so it may work for you as well.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

The bosch bypass valve is all you need, as troyman said undue stress is now taking place you want it to vent completly at idle as not to build pressure in the intake.

To give you an idea im running an xr6 turbo bosch valve and its performing faultlessly only issue is my turbo generates more airflow than a gt3540r and the valve cant release all the pressure at higher rpm's so i get that semi dose sound after taking my foot off the throttle, for a raptor i would use the bosch valve cheap easy and reliable.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next