Fordmods Logo

302w w/Holley Sniper Project - Need a nerd :) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: 302w w/Holley Sniper Project - Need a nerd :)
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon

New Zealand

Hey dudes,

I have a BA Falcon 2004 (XR6 - Auto) and this is my first journey through projects at 52.

I have a 1987 302w engine project im putting in place of my poor expired Barra, more of a project I am doing with my son, but need some advice please if you could.

I have a Holley Sniper with full EFI which, I think(??) replaces the ECU, this is where my problems might begin.

So I have done some research that's telling me the following:
1) The ICC is mounted with the BCM?
2) These need to match and pair with the ECU?.
3) The Holley Sniper will replace the ECU as it has one?

How the hell do I get a modern Holley sniper to talk to the existing ICC/BCM - I take it its only the BCM it needs to talk to?

Or have I made a horrible mistake going down this route .....

if you have any links that would help would appreciate it, thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: 302w w/Holley Sniper Project - Need a nerd :)
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Nzrogue wrote:
Hey dudes,

I have a BA Falcon 2004 (XR6 - Auto) and this is my first journey through projects at 52.

I have a 1987 302w engine project im putting in place of my poor expired Barra, more of a project I am doing with my son, but need some advice please if you could.

I have a Holley Sniper with full EFI which, I think(??) replaces the ECU, this is where my problems might begin.

So I have done some research that's telling me the following:
1) The ICC is mounted with the BCM?
2) These need to match and pair with the ECU?.
3) The Holley Sniper will replace the ECU as it has one?

How the hell do I get a modern Holley sniper to talk to the existing ICC/BCM - I take it its only the BCM it needs to talk to?

Or have I made a horrible mistake going down this route .....

if you have any links that would help would appreciate it, thanks in advance.

wow .. interesting project you've given yourself. the BA electronics system 'talks' to each part. this includes the cluster, PCM, BEM, ICC & ABS.

1) The ICC is mounted with the BCM? - the ICC is the heater/aircon/radio controls in the centre of the dash. the BEM is mounted to the base of the ICC, so removing the ICC also removes the BEM. there are 4 wiring plugs attached to the BEM which need to be unplugged first if removing the ICC from dash.
2) These need to match and pair with the ECU?. - along with the ABS & cluster.
3) The Holley Sniper will replace the ECU as it has one? - think you may need to research if the Holly can be run as a "stand alone" system but still communicate with the main systems that run the car. i know there are cars running the barra motor as a "stand alone" successfully so something to think about. to legally run this in a road driven car you may also need to check with a relevant engineer with regards to regs for this mod.

Good Luck tho.

sorry no links

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:57 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon

New Zealand

Thanks Mad,

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... ts/550-511

So thats the unit. It apparently is its own ECU and will manage the engine issue is that of course the ECU needs to feed info to the BCM (BEM).

Or does it? My understanding is the data fed is ABS Revs from the ECU while the ECU just manages the engine needs. But yes the interface is my problem from the Holley to stock ECU or direct to the BCM.

I have thought about disconnecting the electronic Revs and go old school analogue or similar?

Interesting you mention the standalone Barra with ECU delete though.

Ill give it a week then its a full drawing board clean again :/

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:53 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Nzrogue wrote:
Thanks Mad,

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... ts/550-511

So thats the unit. It apparently is its own ECU and will manage the engine issue is that of course the ECU needs to feed info to the BCM (BEM).

Or does it? My understanding is the data fed is ABS Revs from the ECU while the ECU just manages the engine needs. But yes the interface is my problem from the Holley to stock ECU or direct to the BCM.

I have thought about disconnecting the electronic Revs and go old school analogue or similar?

Interesting you mention the standalone Barra with ECU delete though.

Ill give it a week then its a full drawing board clean again :/

with the "standalone" ...... it runs on it's own PCM with the cars original PCM running everything else. your holley will need to communicate with the BA PCM mainly as the BEM is more [from the little i understand] the car's security. what gearbox will you be using?. and data is fed to ALL the sections of the cars 'electronics' not just one. so engine doesn't control 'just' the engine alone as it also controls the gearbox.

i think you need more help with this than you will find here on FordMods .....

try - https://www.fordforums.com.au/index.php but you will need to join up. there are a few there that will be able to give you more info re what you want to do.

cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]