Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: 351 cleveland cam, valve train upgrade choices
Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I have just recently recieved a 80 model F100 custom, from my father (RIP) it has been fully rebuilt by him to a 351 it is a 4Bolt mains block and has been bored 30 thou, has a 650 vac holley on it and a single plave high rise funnel web manifold on it and has a mild cam at the moment but was after something a little more lumpy, it also has 2v heads (M stamped on them not 4 or 2 etc) and a HEI coil/dizzy in one unit, its a manual 4 speed, and has thebig 9" diff in it, it mainly going to used as a work truck (for my mechanic business) but will see some towing later on in its life, has no P/S or A/C.

I was thinking of installing a beefer cam, and upgrading the valvetrain (roller rockers and hardened push rods, plans were to S/C it but cant find a clevo manifold to put a 6-71 on it?

Any suggestions would be great as I would like to keep it nice and neat but tuff too in memory of my Father.

I have measured the stroke to confirm the engine capacity and cam up with 89mm stroke, I know it was a 351 before he had pulled it apart, as a 302 has a 3" stroke and a 351 has a 3.5" stroke.

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Post subject: Re: 351 cleveland cam, valve train upgrade choices
Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:39 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Ok a funnelweb on a truck is the first mistake. You'd be better off with something like a TorquePower dual plane.
6/71 manifolds are as common as muck....
http://hamptonblowers.com/PRICE.HTML
If you want a lumpy sounding cam without losing all your bottom end go for one of the new Comp Thumpr cams.
89mm stroke = 3.5" = 351.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

EDXR6-Poly wrote:
I have just recently recieved a 80 model F100 custom, from my father (RIP) it has been fully rebuilt by him to a 351 it is a 4Bolt mains block and has been bored 30 thou, has a 650 vac holley on it and a single plave high rise funnel web manifold on it and has a mild cam at the moment but was after something a little more lumpy, it also has 2v heads (M stamped on them not 4 or 2 etc) and a HEI coil/dizzy in one unit, its a manual 4 speed, and has thebig 9" diff in it, it mainly going to used as a work truck (for my mechanic business) but will see some towing later on in its life, has no P/S or A/C.

I was thinking of installing a beefer cam, and upgrading the valvetrain (roller rockers and hardened push rods, plans were to S/C it but cant find a clevo manifold to put a 6-71 on it?

Any suggestions would be great as I would like to keep it nice and neat but tuff too in memory of my Father.

I have measured the stroke to confirm the engine capacity and cam up with 89mm stroke, I know it was a 351 before he had pulled it apart, as a 302 has a 3" stroke and a 351 has a 3.5" stroke.

Sounds like a nice motor, and I totally get supercharging it, but if you have a 6/71 hanging out the bonnet in a 1980 F100 aren't you going to have cop issues? What about a Vortex or an old Paxton or something hanging off the side of the motor? You'd have heaps of room to even run an intercooler if you wanted, no manifold hassles either..

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

thats another thought I didnt think of was a ide mount S/C or a procharger? It already has the gilmer kit on it, and after looking at it further it seems they are 4V closed chamber heads after measuring the port sizes and I put the original XA GT 4V manifold back on today with a 1" spacer, seems to have alot more bottom end than before.

the other alternative was to just leave it N/A and make as much HP as posible but still daily drivable.

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

OK I had another look at running a supercharger but keeping it under bonnet, I was looking at either one of the 2 following options in regards to EFI and tuning
* Holley Avenger EFI TBI $2200 landed in Australia or
* Powerjection III $1900 landed in Australia

Both are a very similar unit and both asr plug and play install. Anyone got any ideas or input on either of the two systems?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]