Fordmods Logo

5L LTD lacks power! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 5L LTD lacks power!
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:17 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Hi, just bought a 5L DL LTD. It lacks power when you put your foot down. On cold startup if runs a little rough for a bit and powering off it pops thru the cats for a bit. It does not ping, just has a big flat spot and does not accelerate. My NL Fairlane is on LPG and goes hard!
Would it be blocked injectors? Ive replaced the plugs, airfilter and cleaned the throttle body. HELP :(

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:21 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Could be a dead MAF amongst other things. Do a self test and let us know the code/s.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:26 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

It also does run rich when i smell the exhaust fumes. I thought the exhaust leak at the head/extractor area was a cause but new gasket make little difference. Motor idles well just doesnt go like a V8 should. Seems to be asleep and not interested in getting down too boogy.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Running rich?
Unplug the MAF and if there is no difference in the way it runs then suspect the MAF.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

try cleaning the maf and setting the tps voltage, there is a sticky at the top of the page.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Check your ignition timing, sounds like it may be a bit retarded. That can cause the pop in the pipes you mentioned.

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Post subject: .
Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Yes, it is very sluggish on take-off, uses a lot of fuel, and takes longer to start than an engine should. ??? Must be blocked injectors. Timing has been adjusted made to difference to problem. Which parts the MAF?

Thanks

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

the sensor just after the air box. its bolted to the back of the airbox and the tube that runs to the throttle body is attached to the other end of the maf housing.

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Post subject: Power Restored
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Last night i removed the MAF (Mass AirFlow sensor) unit and using a bright torch discovered one of the two sensor wires was covered in thick dirt/soot. I used some WD-40 spray and a cotton bud and carefully cleaned it. The car now idles much smoother and the engine has much more smooth power. The flat spots on accelerator are virtually non existant now. Thanks for everyones advice :D

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ahh those pesky and dirty little hotwires have struck again!

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Post subject: Re: Power Restored
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

mrfordfalcon wrote:
Last night i removed the MAF (Mass AirFlow sensor) unit and using a bright torch discovered one of the two sensor wires was covered in thick dirt/soot. I used some WD-40 spray and a cotton bud and carefully cleaned it. The car now idles much smoother and the engine has much more smooth power. The flat spots on accelerator are virtually non existant now. Thanks for everyones advice :D

good too hear you got that sorted. try setting the t.p.s. voltage and maybe new 02sensors might make things even better.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

Yes, I can vouch for the o2 sensor change. It made a big difference to how my 5.0 idles and runs under light load.

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL V8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

mrfordfalcon wrote:

good to hear you fixed the problem. if you have an automatic tranmission, make sure to reset reset your ECU and re-learn your WOT.

1. drive the car for at least 1km until normal running engine temp is reach. verify you have correct idle speed.
2. idle the car in drive for one minute with all accessory off and hand brake engage. Dont use foot brake to avoid brake light from turning on.
3. after one minute edle, turn off the car but leave the gear in drive.
4. Turn the ignition on but do not start the car. Your cluster should be illuminated.
5. press your accelerator to the floor and leave it for one minute. This will re-learn yout wide open throttle.
6. after one minute WOT, release accelator then turn off the ignition.
7. Put the gear in neutral before starting the engine. Drive the car and you should notice a much better shifting pattern.

This procedure will recalibrate your ECU based on idle and WOT.

can't aFORD lately

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

john_jay wrote:
mrfordfalcon wrote:

good to hear you fixed the problem. if you have an automatic tranmission, make sure to reset reset your ECU and re-learn your WOT.

1. drive the car for at least 1km until normal running engine temp is reach. verify you have correct idle speed.
2. idle the car in drive for one minute with all accessory off and hand brake engage. Dont use foot brake to avoid brake light from turning on.
4. Turn the ignition on but do not start the car. Your cluster should be illuminated.
5. press your accelerator to the floor and leave it for one minute. This will re-learn yout wide open throttle.
7. Put the gear in neutral before starting the engine. Drive the car and you should notice a much better shifting pattern.

Very interesting reading. Do you know if this works with a 92 NCII 5.0L ECU?

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

john_jay wrote:
mrfordfalcon wrote:

Very interesting reading. Do you know if this works with a 92 NCII 5.0L ECU? Sorry bout double post :oops: 1st attempt came up as website not available???

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next