Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: AU LPG conversion
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Here is my conversion completed.
It's running an OMVL convertor with Sprintgas mixer and it goes really well, hard to tell the difference between the 2 fuels, although i did lose a little bit of power on petrol (Especially down low) just fitting the mixer as it cut the airflow down.

I done this conversion myself, you'll notice the LPG switch which is what Tickford use on the factory setups, i actually had to use the door lock switch as it pulses, the orig LPG switch is an on off which was no good to me, i just swapped the face on the switch.

My other problem was having a light or indicator to tell me which fuel i was on as i used the original fuel guage in the cluster for both fuels.
I wired up an LED and drilled through the Ghia badge in the centre of the dash, it looks good at night as the whole badge lights up.

When i first got it going i couldn't get it to run rich enough, there is a little trick in these convertors where you take the cover off and stick a washer in behind the spring to bump the pressure up, after doing that the car ran perfect.

At this stage i'm not sure on economy figures, i am running it out of gas now to change the float as it's a little noisy when you come to a stop. Once i do that i'll post up the figures.
The next thing on the agenda is to mount a new washer bottle, i had to remove it as the only other place for the convertor was down under the battery which is way too far from the throttle body. I'm looking at using a Hyundai Excel or similar with a long filler neck and mounting it under the front left hand skirt, then cut a hole in the skirt for the neck and possibly have it come up in front of the airbox.

Attachments:
Conv2.jpg
Conv2.jpg [ 108.95 KiB | Viewed 184 times ]
Conv.jpg
Conv.jpg [ 112.17 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]
LED2.jpg
LED2.jpg [ 90.33 KiB | Viewed 173 times ]
LED.jpg
LED.jpg [ 66.87 KiB | Viewed 156 times ]

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Looks pretty neat and tidy Paul. Be very interesting to see what your fuel figures will be when you have driven it around for a while. Did you use that LPG subsidy from the governemnt at all?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Vic wrote:
Looks pretty neat and tidy Paul. Be very interesting to see what your fuel figures will be when you have driven it around for a while. Did you use that LPG subsidy from the governemnt at all?

Yeah i will be using it Vic, they're not paying until the 1st of October.
This cost me just under $800 all up so i am hoping to make $1200 lol.
I've read up on it and little Johnny states you get to keep the change if it's cheaper, it also applies to second hand kits aswell.
A lot of mine was new, all the electricals, mixer, filler etc is new, the tank was out of Steady ED's write off (Removed before the accident) and i had it re-tested. The convertor was ripped off a ZJ i have here so i put a kit through it.

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Nice tidy profit!

Little Johny is scoring points with people with his LPG subsidy. But I reckon the oil companies here will see which way the wind is blowing once a whole bunch of people are shown to be converting to LPG and then bump the price of LPG up to make a bigger profit.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:44 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Walker wrote:
the tank was out of Steady ED's write off (Removed before the accident) and i had it re-tested.

f**k I'm good...
You still owe me a beer for that too!

It's a tidy setup Walker, plus it's always nice to get something from the government :D

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Oh i have no dount, and i am sure the gov will chuck a cpl of cents on to help make up for the costs too.
But it's still cheaper than petrol, that's how i look at it.

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

VIC, Australia

does the installation need to be certified, what proof do you need to supply that your now on LPG to get the cash.

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Didn't Adrian buy you the slab Jared?
If he didn't i'll b**ch slap him!
I still have your convertor and stepper motor here too, let me know what you want to do with it... It was too big to use on mine as i was limited for room, and plus they're a pain in the a*** and cost lots to fix as you found out lol. A new Vialle which is basically a Poli are now over $1200 new.

Yes it has to be certified znipa, you need your invoice and certificate to make the claim, which can be done at any Centrelink or Medicare branch.

I done everything less the service line, i had someone else do that then he went over the conversion and certified it.
He's the same guy who converted my XD back in 90.

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:07 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Walker wrote:
Didn't Adrian buy you the slab Jared?
If he didn't i'll b**ch slap him!
I still have your convertor and stepper motor here too, let me know what you want to do with it... It was too big to use on mine as i was limited for room, and plus they're a pain in the a*** and cost lots to fix as you found out lol. A new Vialle which is basically a Poli are now over $1200 new.

He didn't buy me a slab... I have drank the equivalent of a slab out of his fridge though... :?
We'll call it even :P
Convertor and s**t are of no use to me now Paul, do what you will with it!
Although if you manage to sell it for some obscene price hook me up :D

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

looks like a ncie job Paul - post your economy figures up when you get a chance (before and after)

what does a full tank of LPG weigh ?

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I just ran it out and changed the sender, the one in it was metal (Sounded like it needed CRC big time) and the one i put in is plastic, nice and quiet now.

I just put 66 litres in and from memory it weighs .5 kg per litre, the tank itself is around 30 kg so it adds around 60 kg to the rear end.

I'll let you know what i get out of it.

This system runs a stepper motor, basically it runs off the oxy sensor and has a piston that screws up and down and rich/leans as needed, they usually play up so if it does i'll piss it off and throw a power valve on it.

It played up on the EF so i put a power valve on, i ended up getting more power and better economy.

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:55 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

nice work pauly :)

come around and do mine please :)

RIP SCOTT

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]