Fordmods Logo

BA vs BA2 vs BF XR8?? (differences?) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: BA vs BA2 vs BF XR8?? (differences?)
Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Hi all,

Researching my next car. I would love a GT but in reality the XR8 is more in my budget and it will allow some cash for basic modifications. I would also prefer a manual but wold consider the auto only if it was the bf 6 spd.

Now i know the ba series 1s suffered from diff problems, climate control problems and hand brake problems. were these all soughted out by the ba mkii??

were there any problems with the boss motors or manuals that were soughted out in teh later models that i should be aware of?

lastly what sought of performance increase can i expect from the typical full exhaust, cold ait intake and tune mods? i know they will produce about 250-270rwkw from what i have read but what about on road performance and 0-100 sprints? does it really wake the car up in this respect?

lastly on open road and around town what sort of fuel figures can i expect (dont really trust the published figures, generally a bit conservative)

thanks for all your help in advance

Post subject: Re: BA vs BA2 vs BF XR8?? (differences?)
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

VIC, Australia

BA2 and BF have the 6 speed manual as apposed to the 5 speed in the BA so if thats what your after then stick to one of those. Also 250rwkw is pretty optimistic from the Boss 260 with those mods let alone 270rwkw, the Boss 260 has low compression and can't make the most of the mods installed. So if your planning on spending big money on go bits I'd go a 290 With the mods you mentioned,a thorough cleaning out of the plenum, herrod oil breather cans, herrod helix spacer, and a serivce I only achieved 243rwkw which is quite good from the average 260. I've personally seen a 290 pull 230rwkw stock and Data_mine pulled 240rwkw stock, they are just a better motor im afraid.

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

oh sorry with fuel I do mostly city driving and average about 15.4 and I dont mind giving it a squirt from time to time

as for highway I done a trip from geelong to horsham with the full tub of my ute filled with tools and luggage and it was 8.8 or something like that. The boss motor loves to cruise on open roads :)

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

good info. thanks mate! anymore experiences would be welcome

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

As far as problems go I have never really had any issues. Only the oil collecting in the inlet manifold which can be fixed with breather cans and once you try to squeeze more power out of them the oil pump gear s**t itself, but all that was covered in another thread.

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo, EF 5.0L V8 Turbo

VIC, Australia

Some BA mk2 had engine problems, bottom end bearings can go for no reason.
They all have a similar diff/bushes so you will probably run into trouble there if you give the car a hard time.
i'd go for the newest low km one you can afford.. BA's are still very nice cars but the newer the better :)

EF V8T 11.54 @118mph

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

were those bearing issues also fixed in the BF? It does seem like the BF is the way to go. What is the performance gains like from those modifications? ie how does your 240rwkw car feel to the stocker?

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Go the GT Mate. If I was to do it over again, i would have spent the extra 10 grand then and there to have a better starting point in terms of RWKW. Mind you the GT I had the chance to buy was from family so was ridiculously cheap, still kicking myself.

BUT, if you plan to go for a blower, the lower compression ratio on the Boss 260 would be better for that.

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo, EF 5.0L V8 Turbo

VIC, Australia

pretty sure the bearing issue was around the ba mk 2. so bf's should be fine.
I'd go for a 290 if i was after one, better engine to start with and respond better to mods. pretty sure they would be even better to supercharge too.
GT's are getting pretty cheap these days! especially with the new engine out now.. watch the prices come down.

EF V8T 11.54 @118mph

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TUF250 wrote:
were those bearing issues also fixed in the BF? It does seem like the BF is the way to go. What is the performance gains like from those modifications? ie how does your 240rwkw car feel to the stocker?

yeah it is heaps better, thats a gain of 50rwkw and it makes it feel like a whole new car. the 260 is a low compression motor which does mean it loves boost but I'd still prefer a 290 especially a BF if pouring money into it is what your after. Then again perhaps you could consider an XR6T if going fast is your thing, sure they dont sound like an 8 but have very impressive all round performance and also are better bang for your buck mods wise

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]