BA XT vs EL XR8 

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

downingj wrote:
-clampy- wrote:
when the BAs first came out, ford as a promo was offering a couple as a prize (ford dealer team or somethin).. they ran like a 15.9 or soemthing at kwinana.. i remember thinkin it was very gay for a 182kw car..

duno wot the el2s did from factory.. but they generally pull mid 15s.. hell 185kw comos pull mid 15s at kwinana.. and the el was know to be as quick or quicker than that yeh?

Hmmmm, seems like there is a fair bit of variations in BA quarter mile times.

Some people have seen 15.1's from a stock. Others say mid 15's and now you say that you have seen BA's that were pullin 15.9....

Weird s**t :)

A lot of it comes down to the driver though, even with an auto. With a BA auto stalling it up at the line and manually shifting at 6500rpm instead of automatically at 5700 makes a huge difference. When you consider that and take into account track variables and just how healthy the car is 0.8 seconds seems easy to understand.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:25 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 2002 XR8 manual

NSW, Australia

The arguement started when my mate told me he was buying a BA XT... and i told him that he would be better off buying an EL XR8... Considering that the XT is around 100kgs heavier... and has slightly less power AND torque... the XR8 should be quicker...

I even asked people at work today... and it was prettymuch 50-50 with people voting the XT to be quicker... and others the XR8... and some say Even...

The XR8 should have a little more kick off the line.. especially if it is auto?... correct me if i am wrong... but autos are a bit slow off the mark and dont pick up til about 2,500rpm... In my Fairmont anyway...

As of yet.. neither of us have won the arguement...

Do XT Falcons have LSD?... im prettysure that the XR8 would have a LSD... which would get a bit more traction off the start...

Honestly i can see no way of the XT to be quicker... less power... more weight... and less traction... Seems a bit of an unfair match...

Although for something to do.. i decided to try and argue the point that a Solid axcel is better than IRS... i knew i would lose that one :P...

AU XR8 manual.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

live rear axle is the s**t :p
xt doesn't have an LSD, but a wimpy auto takeoff won't be affected by that too much. the EL XR8 SHOULD be faster, I'm just not convinced it is. The E series autos sucked :p

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

A mate of mine blasted a BA XT Auto to smitherines witha 165kw EF Falcon GLi. Everthing standard except he did the diff ratio (3.7gears)

Im not joking, my other mate owns the BA XT and they had a few runs, the 165kw punished it.

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

SS COMMODORE LS1 282rwkw, awesome power

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:13 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

I had a Falcon Futura with a Tickford 5 litre... it didnt have a LSD... and from a standing start.. it was a smokeshow.. it was auto btw... and had 9" rear tyres... My new Fairmont has a LSD... and a 5litre.. but is not tickford enhanced :(... so it doesnt burn out easially... i loved my Futura... it was red also... so it went faster ;)...

and the point to me telling you this is: LSD would affect take off speed... especially if their in the 180kw mark... i think my Tickford 5 litre was only 165kw... and it had enough power to burn up from standing start...

AU XR8 manual.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

What is a tickford 5 litre futura? its 165kw or nothing and 175kw or nothing in AU??????

Tickford or no tickford, wouldnt make a difference in a futura.

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

EB V8 wrote:
What is a tickford 5 litre futura? its 165kw or nothing and 175kw or nothing in AU??????

Tickford or no tickford, wouldnt make a difference in a futura.

Tickford suspension mate :)

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:33 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Dont the tickford enhanced cars have a different ECU?... Im not too sure on the subject... but i have heard that there are a few little things...

AU XR8 manual.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

In commodore land, they say the ex cop cars go harder than the stockers.

Thats not true, just a folk tale. Like the tickford cars.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EB V8 wrote:
In commodore land, they say the ex cop cars go harder than the stockers.

Thats not true, just a folk tale. Like the tickford cars.

Ummmmmm mate. What series are you talking about?

I've been in a VS stocko and a VS cop pack and I can tell you that the VS cop pack was a bit of a weapon when compared to stocky stockerson. I believe they were "chipped" weren't they? Could be wrong...

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:05 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

My dad used to own a EX Cop VH SL/E Commodore... with a 5 litre V8... the police mods included... Larger carby, High pressure fuel pump, extractors and twin 2.25" exhaust.. im pretty sure that would go harder than a stock 5 Litre SL/E....

Other than that.. the car was a piece of s**t... fell apart... and rusted to death.

AU XR8 manual.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

orloxsis wrote:
My dad used to own a EX Cop VH SL/E Commodore... with a 5 litre V8... the police mods included... Larger carby, High pressure fuel pump, extractors and twin 2.25" exhaust.. im pretty sure that would go harder than a stock 5 Litre SL/E....

Other than that.. the car was a piece of s**t... fell apart... and rusted to death.

It's a Commodore. What do you expect? :lol:

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I wouldn't mind taking this thread in a new direction:

How about 80-120? Which car do you think would be faster? The EL XR8 or the BA XT?

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fnp wrote:
downingj wrote:
-clampy- wrote:
when the BAs first came out, ford as a promo was offering a couple as a prize (ford dealer team or somethin).. they ran like a 15.9 or soemthing at kwinana.. i remember thinkin it was very gay for a 182kw car..

duno wot the el2s did from factory.. but they generally pull mid 15s.. hell 185kw comos pull mid 15s at kwinana.. and the el was know to be as quick or quicker than that yeh?

Hmmmm, seems like there is a fair bit of variations in BA quarter mile times.

Some people have seen 15.1's from a stock. Others say mid 15's and now you say that you have seen BA's that were pullin 15.9....

Weird s**t :)

A lot of it comes down to the driver though, even with an auto. With a BA auto stalling it up at the line and manually shifting at 6500rpm instead of automatically at 5700 makes a huge difference. When you consider that and take into account track variables and just how healthy the car is 0.8 seconds seems easy to understand.

6,500??? Yeah? I thought that the BA/BF I6 was rev limited to 5,900???

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ba falcon

WA, Australia

lol there are so many better things about a ba regardless of if it is point somthing of a second slower than a el xr8 (series 2 only) its newer prettier and just nicer.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next