Fordmods Logo

Cam/ valve Lift 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Cam/ valve Lift
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

NSW, Australia

What is the maximum lift of a cam before I begin to have problems with stock 5.0ltr engine. Consider the fact I have the right springs etc.

Curious
mick

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

Lift in of itself is not a really a limitation. Valve lift of 0.600" would be a doddle with the right valvetrain (lifters to springs & all in between). The limitation is the valve timing during the overlap period. Any cam with alot of lift will have alot of overlap, potentially causing valve to head clearance issues.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:12 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ef xr8

NSW, Australia

Valve to piston clearances can be a issue with larger cams but can be overcome by notching the pistons more.I'm using a crane cam which has 542 thou lift on the intake side and 563 on the exhaust and a duration of 224 int,232exh.The 232 duration is about the most the stock Ecu will handle even with a chip.Anything bigger than this you could have low manifold vacum and idle problems.

----------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE;EF 5.0 auto ecu with tweecer $600
----------------------------------------------------

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Dont i know it. I have the Comp Cams 282 and it idles like a b**ch, even with then EMS. Mind you we had to fairly notch the pistons, and i also have 1.7 ratio trickflow RR as well
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Thats a fairly random question...lol

Lift is only one small part of the camshaft design. Why are you interested in the "max lift without problems"?

Tell us more about what you are trying to achieve, we can help you out better ;)

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I think he's trying to say what is the biggest cam he can fit to a stock 5 litre without changing any valve train components (springs, lifters, rockers, pushrods) and also without notching the pistons. That's a fairly straight forward question.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:48 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

thanx for the comments fellas, what i have atm is the wade 869

233@50 .518 lift & 222@50 .493

i have alot of duration not alot of lift.

I want to upgrade springs and use 1.7 rr with this same cam which would bring the lift up to .551 & .524

Im playin with a few different ideas atm and threw the question out there to see what sort of limitations i have with the stock bottom end, ecu etc.

Im not fussed with issues such as rough idle but I do want it to run with stock ecu and i have a chiptorque chip that I can play with later.

thanx
mick

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

if your using the same cam and just increasing the lift it shouldnt alter the computer , if its running ok now
im running .544 lift and ive skimmed 20 thou off the heads with stock pistons cam is dialed in at 4deg advanced 212 in 218 ex @50thou and clearance is borderline , i was advised as im not running huge revs it would be ok thats with gt40ps

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
Dont i know it. I have the Comp Cams 282 and it idles like a b**ch, even with then EMS. Mind you we had to fairly notch the pistons, and i also have 1.7 ratio trickflow RR as well
Brett
i had the same cam on a std stroke 302 although with 1.6 r/r, very heavy cam with not much down low, but with the twEECer i found it idled nicely @ 1050rpm. my heads are what really let this cam down.

what i would suggest is getting the heads flowed and then get a cam that is going to work with the flow charactoristics of the head. otherwise you are just hoping for the best.

have you thought about just using the std cam with 1.7 roller rockers???

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

my old cam was about .577 lift with stock heads and stock bottom end..just had better springs....that was a crane 2030 (or 2031..cam remember) with 1.7 RR.....u gotta look at lobe seperation and duration as well wen chosing a cam, and u gotta make sure the cam dosnt floq air than the heads, otherwise it wont run as good as it could....its not a case of bigger is better....is a case of everything being matched.....but if u jsut want more lift then 1.7 roller rockers are ur best bet

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:22 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

[quote="veeate"]my old cam was about .577 lift with stock heads and stock bottom end..just had better springs....that was a crane 2030 (or 2031..cam remember) with 1.7 RR.....u gotta look at lobe seperation and duration as well wen chosing a cam, and u gotta make sure the cam dosnt floq air than the heads, otherwise it wont run as good as it could....its not a case of bigger is better....is a case of everything being matched.....but if u jsut want more lift then 1.7 roller rockers are ur best bet[/quote]

what i would suggest is getting the heads flowed and then get a cam that is going to work with the flow charactoristics of the head. otherwise you are just hoping for the best.

have you thought about just using the std cam with 1.7 roller rockers???[/quote]

I havent a major flow disadvantage beside the fact there not $$$ heads. heads, manifold are port matched, etc. & everything is running great atm.
Std Cam is long gone and I honestly wouldnt waste time with it. Not saying its not anygood just not suited to my setup.

Matching all components, driveline etc to achieve realistic max output. is the result I aiming for and if there isnt a big problem with the lift of the wade cam with 1.7s then I hope that I will achieve this.

thanx fellas

mick

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]