Fordmods Logo

cylinder heads 

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: cylinder heads
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

would anyone have any comparisons with all the popular 5ltr heads in terms of max hp and torque over standard e7's?

while your at it tell me wat u think is the best head and why.

cheers

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Post subject: heads...
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

depends on how much money you want to spend and total package...Just heads the AFR are good as they are CNC ported..but over $3k and the 180cc head needs some valve notch's cut in pistons to fit...
There is a trick flow package that covers heads, inlet, cam thats not badly priced...

http://www.trickflow.com/product/engine ... nekits.asp

But any head like Holley, Edelbrock,Dart, Pro-topline are good also....
Here is a comparo of head flow #'s etc

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/racin ... moteur.htm

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR6 Turbo, XR8, Transit

VIC, Australia

I remember reading an article from a mustang magazine that had comparisons between all the popular aftermarket heads, there flow rates, dyno figures etc etc.

Cant find the bugger now... I know its bookmarked on my computer at home.

I will try and find it for ya.

Oh - and I highly recommend AFR185's

1993 ED XR8 - Poly Green
2006 BF GT - Silhouette Black
2011 FG XR6 Ute - Nitro Blue

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thanks for your replies peoples

from what i understand it seems the best flowing head is the trickflow twisted wedge.

anyone care to disagree ,feel free. make it unbiased though please

cheers

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: NL 347, Landau

SA, Australia

As far as bang for buck goes the Trick flow certainly take the cake coming in at US$1100. For flow - the Pro-Topline alloys have the best flow figures (especially mid lift) followed by the AFR 185's and then the Trickflows. With decent lift cams - all of the heads will require enlarging the notches on the standard pistons - the Trickflows will need Trickflow specific pistons for big lifts.
I have AFR 185's for my stroker project.
Shane

Weapons of choice
1998 NL Fairlane by Tickford 033
1996 NL Fairlane Ghia 347
1992 NC Fairlane Ghia 5.0
1974 Landau
1974 LTD

Last edited by MrLandau on Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

NC 5ltr wrote:
thanks for your replies peoples

from what i understand it seems the best flowing head is the trickflow twisted wedge.

anyone care to disagree ,feel free. make it unbiased though please

cheers

Have a read of the articles MRJUCY posted up, and look at the comparison charts.
Trickflows are not the best flowing head, but they are pretty good for there price.
AFR's are a better flowing head, but cost a bit more.

As Landau says - ProTopLine (an NZ company) do great heads, but its pretty hard to find there gear.

I guess you really need to work out what you are after. If its just a daily driver, go the shopping centre, but with a little grunt for only a few $ -- go for trickflows.

If you want a weapon, and dont mind spending a little extra to get a powerfull beasty - go for AFR's.

1993 ED XR8 - Poly Green

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

MrLandau wrote:
As far as bang for buck goes the Trick flow certainly take the cake coming in at US$1100. For flow - the Pro-Topline alloys have the best flow figures (especially mid lift) followed by the AFR 185's and then the Trickflows. With decent lift cams - all of the heads will require enlarging the notches on the standard pistons - the Trickflows will need Tricflow specific pistons for big lifts.
I have AFR 185's for my stroker project.
Shane

what i understand i think is that with these afr 185 and trickflow heads u need to change some internals? correct?

but i think with the afr 165 they are simply bolt on?

cheers

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

XR8Chic wrote:

Have a read of the articles MRJUCY posted up, and look at the comparison charts.
Trickflows are not the best flowing head, but they are pretty good for there price.
AFR's are a better flowing head, but cost a bit more.

As Landau says - ProTopLine (an NZ company) do great heads, but its pretty hard to find there gear.

I guess you really need to work out what you are after. If its just a daily driver, go the shopping centre, but with a little grunt for only a few $ -- go for trickflows.

If you want a weapon, and dont mind spending a little extra to get a powerfull beasty - go for AFR's.

yeah i have and its quite interesting.

what,shopping trolley!!!!!! i think u know where to put that.

theory is ,if im going to get heads i dont want a mild improvement i want something rather big,and considering ive got a fairlane i need all the extra herbs i can get to reduce the power to weight.

cheers

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: NL 347, Landau

SA, Australia

The AFR185's use 2.02 and 1.6" valves - the AFR 165 uses 1.9" and 1.6" valves. This means you don't need to notch the pistons as much - however - if running any sort of cam you should still check piston to valve clearances. If you have any asperations of going bigger (331 or 347 stroker) I would suggest the 185's as itgives you more room to move later on. All AFR's require valve spring upgrades - be it from the factory or here in Australia. The valvesprings they are supplied with don't handle the valve lifts that heads need to breathe properly
Shane

Weapons of choice
1998 NL Fairlane by Tickford 033
1996 NL Fairlane Ghia 347
1992 NC Fairlane Ghia 5.0
1974 Landau
1974 LTD

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ok... so you want big improvment - dont even bother with trickflows then.

Are you gonna stroke the engine at all?

if not - got AFR165's, you will need to notch the pistons slightly, your extractors will need to be ported a little at the opening to suit, new plugs, new head bolts,
Make sure you get the heads to suit your rockers (they are different heads to suit stud mount or pedistal mount)

All up including labour, probably be around the $4k mark.

What manifold, MAF, injectors and Throttle body are you running?? Depending on what is there, as to how much inprovment you will get.

Also you better confirm with your insurance company if you will be covered before you mod the car.

1993 ED XR8 - Poly Green

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

XR8Chic wrote:
Ok... so you want big improvment - dont even bother with trickflows then.

Are you gonna stroke the engine at all?

if not - got AFR165's, you will need to notch the pistons slightly, your extractors will need to be ported a little at the opening to suit, new plugs, new head bolts,
Make sure you get the heads to suit your rockers (they are different heads to suit stud mount or pedistal mount)

All up including labour, probably be around the $4k mark.

What manifold, MAF, injectors and Throttle body are you running?? Depending on what is there, as to how much inprovment you will get.

Also you better confirm with your insurance company if you will be covered before you mod the car.

at 1st i thought about stroking but will more than likely do that much later,but only to a 331ci.

the engine is stock at the moment im just getting info on stuff so i know what to get when i have the money, i.e no time wasting.

as insurance goes ill most proberbly go through shannons as they cater for modified cars ,while aami ,nrma etc...cater for people who dont have many mods. like air filter and cup holders. lol

what i want to do is build up the engine so it can handle a blower in the future if needed,but i would prefer a really strong n/a 5ltr.

that is my next question ,what would be a good minifold ?ive heard good things about some elderbrock.................?

cheers

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Considering the GT40X flow 216 and the TFS trick flows flow around 250 or so I wouldn't say they are not o/k...
It depends on what other induction you intend to run If its Ford inlets etc go GTp's...The TFS twisted wedge are better than normal inline TFS heads which are often compared to other heads...The t/wedge has higher chambers and doesn't need pitons to be notched unless lift is higher than 550..Though it pays to check..T/wedge don't need different pistons to work but there are special pistons that can be used if high compression is required..Plus it helps quench if piston is oppsite head design when using low comp blower pistons...If you are pulling a big vehicle be carefull biggeris not always better...Like the Victor manifolds/ heads are out of the question when it comes to streetability, moreso in big vehicle...
Besides with close to $1000 difference [AFR to other heads] I'm sure guys like Benny Gatt can port some nice torquey heads if you wanted...
Yes nearly ALL heads esprecially street heads require double valve springs...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

What is this definition of 'big improvement'? Surely any aftermarket head will see you laughing at your E7 mates..

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Considering the GT40X flow 216 and the TFS trick flows flow around 250 or so I wouldn't say they are not o/k...
It depends on what other induction you intend to run If its Ford inlets etc go GTp's...The TFS twisted wedge are better than normal inline TFS heads which are often compared to other heads...The t/wedge has higher chambers and doesn't need pitons to be notched unless lift is higher than 550..Though it pays to check..T/wedge don't need different pistons to work but there are special pistons that can be used if high compression is required..Plus it helps quench if piston is oppsite head design when using low comp blower pistons...If you are pulling a big vehicle be carefull biggeris not always better...Like the Victor manifolds/ heads are out of the question when it comes to streetability, moreso in big vehicle...
Besides with close to $1000 difference [AFR to other heads] I'm sure guys like Benny Gatt can port some nice torquey heads if you wanted...
Yes nearly ALL heads esprecially street heads require double valve springs...

your saying that theafr's would be no good on the fairlane? interesting.

but no u r quite right in saying i want torque cause the fairlane does weight in a bit at around 1800 with driver .
in terms of minifolds i might even get that cobra off mr landau if he has it in the future .
i remember a post about manifolds and i think it was mrl that showed a pic of this new trick manifold?

cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next