EL XR8 thermostat query??? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Better to be cooler on the normal gauge than hotter. BPT have done the work and made sure that the new thermostat allows the car to get out of the startup loop so tolerances and temp are fine.
Nothing wrong with having the needle sit on L after all its in the 'NORMAL' range.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Thanks, but it does matter for me, because since the Wolf ECU has gone in my normal 'dash' temp gauge doesnt work anoymore, i'm not sure why, but i thought i would check, as i have never been looking at the actual temp of the engine, only the gauge like everyone else!

Plus when it has fluctuated, and gone as high as 108 deg, it had me worried for a second. I just didn't know exactly what the temp. tolerances are with the Windsors.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Dave - have you considered running a seperate CLT sensor for the wolf? PRobably a bit of a headfu... err.. hassle - but wouldnt be too many dramas tapping one into the thermostat housing to use with wolf and allow the dashboard to function properly.

Regarding the actual temperature, it may pay to consider the nature of the cooling system. Water boils at 100*c.. hence we use coolant which bumps it up (about 15*c IIRC). Furthermore, the cooling system comrpesses the coolant which further increases the boiling point. So until you see temperatures well above 110*c, theoretically the coolant is still able to transfer heat away from the engine to the radiator....

Using the dash diagnostics, ive seen mine get to 110*c going up a steep hill for about 10km under reasonably heavy load on a hot day. That's about as high as it ever got.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Thanks Martin,
I have thought about trying to get the dash temp gauge working again, but it will probably take time for me to get around and actually do it.
The most i have ever seen was 108 deg. which had me a little worried at the time, but once i cruised for a minute it dropped to under 100.

When mine was getting tuned, i heard that the new 'Alloytec' motors run normally at over 120 deg. Just so they can meet all the emission Regs.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:19 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII V8S Ute

NT, Australia

hmm, Well I just had my system flushed twice cos the coolant was red, and the blokes at the shop claimed that I had a stuck thermostat so they replaced it. I live in 30*C temperatures everyday and it still takes around 15 mins for mine to heat up. Is this normal or should I take it back and have them replace it with a Ford thermostat? One of my thermo fans isn't working but my car still manages to keep cool in city driving, usually around the o-r-m range, but at idle for longer than five minutes my car will reach 110*C as one thermo cannot push enough air through. What are your thoughts on my thermostat?

cheers

Pacies & single 2.5'. New manifold to come soon...

Post subject: Re: EL XR8 thermostat query???
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

Brent wrote:
Does anyone know what temp the standard termostat in EL XR8's open at??? At the moment my temp gauge sits between A and M. i want to bring it down so it sits on L constantly. What temp thermostat should i get?? :roll:

i actually had the same problem with the car getting fairly hot during night time when it was very cool weather....i changed the thermostat & flushed the radiator, but it didnt make a difference, so i p****d the thermostat off completely....then i took the radiator to a radiator shop and it the tanks turned out to be 60% blocked....after that i put the thermostat back in and it ran nice 'n' cool...

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:49 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EL XR8 wrote:
Thanks Martin,
I have thought about trying to get the dash temp gauge working again, but it will probably take time for me to get around and actually do it.
The most i have ever seen was 108 deg. which had me a little worried at the time, but once i cruised for a minute it dropped to under 100.

When mine was getting tuned, i heard that the new 'Alloytec' motors run normally at over 120 deg. Just so they can meet all the emission Regs.

Did you replace the factory ECU, or is it still in there.

The dash temp gauge is run by serial data provided from the ECU... So if the factory ECU is gone, then there be no more dash gauge.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2