Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: fitting cleveland into 6 banga XE
Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

revhead wrote:
If memory serves me right the xe V8's also had factory rear disc brakes so check brake bias as well. I converted an old xc from 6 to 8 and had to change the braking system to match.

Brake bias shouldn't matter if the car is factory 4wheel disc. XE Ghia's, V8's and police spec car's were 4 wheel disc. Povo 6's were drum rear ends.

In the Xc, the rear end was probably drum brake, requiring a change to rear disc's and that would require a master cylinder or proportion/bias valve change to suit, as drum rear & disc rear proportion/bias valves differ, and if these are integrated into the master cylinder as in later car's, then the whole master cylinder would need to be changed to suit disc's or modified.

henry95ef -> Xd was a leaf rear end. You would need to find out the age rules for club rego - i thought it was anything over 25 years old, but dunno for sure.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

revhead wrote:
If memory serves me right the xe V8's also had factory rear disc brakes so check brake bias as well. I converted an old xc from 6 to 8 and had to change the braking system to match.

Brake bias shouldn't matter if the car is factory 4wheel disc. XE Ghia's, V8's and police spec car's were 4 wheel disc. Povo 6's were drum rear ends.

In the Xc, the rear end was probably drum brake, requiring a change to rear disc's and that would require a master cylinder or proportion/bias valve change to suit, as drum rear & disc rear proportion/bias valves differ, and if these are integrated into the master cylinder as in later car's, then the whole master cylinder would need to be changed to suit disc's or modified.

henry95ef -> Xd was a leaf rear end. You would need to find out the age rules for club rego - i thought it was anything over 25 years old, but dunno for sure.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Cheers

ToranaGuy[/quote]

Sorry I didn't realise your car was factory 4wheel disc as I had an xf with drum rear as well. But still check the booster.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:08 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Power: 149 rwkw

VIC, Australia

my XE has 4 wheel disc and 6 banga and auto but has been de-badged so i have no idea what it is?

i'll look tomorrow and get some codes and post em up here and hopefully someone will know whether its a gl or ex-chaser or some thrown together oddity.

Skidz are cooooool!

15.49 @ 91MPH
2.327 60ft
Willowbank Raceway 14th October 2006
220k motor 320k auto

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:11 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

i know you can upgrade a six cyl xd rear drum to disc brake without changing the master cylinder.

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:38 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: NA Fairlane / FE LTD

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
nalane wrote:
In 1984 they stopped putting V8s in xe's, and I have heard of vicroads asking for engineers reports on 84 models. At some stage they also stopped useing the 351 except in police cars

That's weird, because the XE didn't change enough (or at all?) in 1984 to warrant vic roads asking for an engineers report on a 84 with a 351 v8. IF any of the XE's come with 351's you can fit the "optional engine" to any XE as long as you fit all the other bits that were fit from the factory to the 351 car's. IE, if rear disc brakes were std for a 351, you must fit them.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Its all to do with engine and chasis numbers not lining up. Load of crap but thats life. Any brake and suspension mods must also be done to minimum specs as well.

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

Okay another thing you will need to mod being a 6cylinder XE is to make sure the heater pipes from the heater box dont exit the firewall on the back of the head (V8 clevo engine).If this is so,you can use the A/C hole through the firewall for the heater pipes.

In NSW any XE falcon built after 11/1982 which was a 6 will need engineering for a V8 clevo conversion.

For a conversion your main parts would be engine/gearbox,engine mounts and engine mount plates from a v8.No need to change booster.Tailshaft will be the same if you use a C4 or C10 box.FMX and c6 boxes have different yolks.

A t5 yolk will go straight into the C4/C10 extension housing.

I'm building a XD sedan i dropped a very healthy 300hp 302 clevo and a C10,i used a tailshaft out of a EA spac sedan and modded a EA sedan lsd diff 2.92.All works fine.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ok i'll look into the rules and regs on doing it up here in qld, i'm picking up a rebuilder next weekend going basic rebuild just 30thou over, going to run small cam, i have a C4 that has done about 20,000 since rebuild, going to fit a 2500 converter, i have an ef mini spooled diff with 3.45's for it, reversing the manifolds building a basic turbo set up with front mount running 10psi, if dollars permit i'll be fitting a high rise manifold with a boost referenced 650 and blow thru hat, i'm hoping to keep it all under the bonnet............ hoping.

if i cant get it all under the bonnet and need an engineers cert just for the v8 before i fit the turbo set up i'll probably just use it at events and willowbank etc

Skidz are cooooool!

15.49 @ 91MPH
2.327 60ft
220k motor 320k auto

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:43 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

All XA-XE heater pipes came out in the same place.

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

nalane wrote:
Its all to do with engine and chasis numbers not lining up. Load of crap but thats life. Any brake and suspension mods must also be done to minimum specs as well.

Chassis numbers not lining up?

Your chassis/vin number never lines up if you do an engine swap.

I do know that if you want to fit a 1970 cast 351 into your XE, you will need the XE's intake, possibly exhaust manifolds (if it had EGR - i don't remember if they did. My mums 351 in her XD doesn't but it runs LPG) & emissions gear so it complies with the emissions std at the time, unless you go LPG.

The bottom end of the engine doesn't matter, it's what's on top, such as carby, heads, exhaust, where the emissions controls were on the later 351's that matter.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: NA Fairlane / FE LTD

VIC, Australia

What I meant was 6's and 8's have different prefix on the engine number, so when you quote your new engine number they will say that engine type did not come in that car.

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

nalane wrote:
What I meant was 6's and 8's have different prefix on the engine number, so when you quote your new engine number they will say that engine type did not come in that car.

That doesn't matter IF the engine was an option in that model, as the 351 was an option in the XE falcon. You can bolt in any engine option that a car had IF you fit all the other items that the factory fit with the optional engine.

At the end of the XE model life you couldn't buy a 351 optioned XE, only because ford ran out of the engines, no other reason.

Quote:
Vic roads website http://vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/PermitsModificationsAndDefects/Modifications/NotifyingVicRoadsOfChangesAndModifications.htm

Change of engine
1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle
The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants). The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine have been completed.

You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle's engine inspected to confirm the new engine details. No appointment is required. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form.

Registered operator is the owner according to the rego papers. It states OR an automotive engineer, as they don't have to sign a declaration that the engine is an option, if you own the car you can do it yourself.

Here's the QLD modifications document. http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/ebde8d0521b67c6/Pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

Section 1 of the document has the following written...
Quote:
QLD Transport PDF - Modification motor vehicles2.pdf

Replacement engines
Replacement engines that are offered by the
manufacturer as an optional engine for that model of
vehicle may be fitted. For such conversions, all
components, including suspension and brakes, must be
identical to those of a vehicle originally produced with
the optional engine.

QLD states almost the same as vic. Document doesn't mention needing an engineer certificate / mod plate for an optional engine.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

thanks heaps for the info ToranaGuy (stands there proud with cape flaling in the breeze) your my hero :lol: :lol:

Skidz are cooooool!

15.49 @ 91MPH
2.327 60ft
220k motor 320k auto

Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

henry95ef wrote:
thanks heaps for the info ToranaGuy (stands there proud with cape flaling in the breeze) your my hero :lol: :lol:

Thx dude, that's what the forums are for, to help each other mod our fords, but i don't think i qualify for fordmods Hero status just yet, there are guys on here who know heaps more than i do, and get even further into the mods than i do........

But i just picked up an ED ghia from the auctions for the power windows, interia bits & what not to do a power window conversion to my g/f's Xr8, and possibly a climate conversion to the Xr8 i might be keeping yet... lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

well since my XE shell is a bust, i've been thinking about changing to a windsor with 347 stroker with forged pistons and running more boost and putting it in an EF sedan or wagon, still carby fed just not register it, also because my mate has 2 EF fairmonts in pieces in his backyard which i can build one out of, all electrics, and a 4 speed auto so i can run 4.11 diff gears

Skidz are cooooool!

15.49 @ 91MPH
2.327 60ft
220k motor 320k auto

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next