Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

As above..?

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

push your clutch in and change to neutral, let clutch out and tap accel, push clutch in and change to your higher gear.

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

VIC, Australia

and the advantages of doing this is......

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

done to keep your revs up in trucks or bigger engines so when you engage again you are not stressing your gear box

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU series 2 XR8

VIC, Australia

heheh i heard this in fast and furious and have always wondered myself...
not to hijack the thread or anything just dont want to start another thread.. but what is flat shifting??

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: FBT

VIC, Australia

I think flat shifting is leaving your foot on the accelerator while you change

"12 yards long, two lanes wide, 65 tonnes of american pride" Fairlane

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Flat shifting is holding the throttle flat out and changing gears.

With "real double clutching it is unusual to use the throttle when up shifting, but with down shifting it is necessary to use the throttle to get the gears to match speeds, when relating to truck crash boxes etc.

I know this only because I have drove trucks and buses for years, and my current job requires me to drive trucks with crash boxes.

In relation to crash boxes you don't need to use a clutch other than for starting off etc in most cases, some engine and gearbox combinations are easier than others and it sometimes takes a bit of practise in each vehicle.

I am lazy and normally don't use the clutch, in most cases up-shifting requires no skill other than taking your foot off the throttle to allow you to pull it out of gear so you can go into the next gear, down shifting requires the same but then revving the engine up until the gears match speed before you can downshift, it isn't hard but even the best driver can make an error in judgement.

There is advantages and disadvantages to using this method, the big advantage for me used to be the shorter delay with Jacobs brakes coming back on, I could make a faster deceleration without needing the brakes as much (could be naughty and use two feet, left on the brake pedal) in a coach and make it an overall smoother deceleration for the passengers.

PS. It is late so this might be hard to understand what I wrote.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Flat shifting if not taking your foot off the accelerator. V8 Supercar style.

Double clutching seems to vary in methods, most are probably made up based on what some ricers saw on Fast and Furious. Some people release accelerator and put in clutch (but most cars can be pulled out of gear without clutch), take out of gear, release clutch (some lazy people leave in the clutch) and give some revs, put in clutch and go into gear, release clutch and give accelerator.

Most people who do it seem to do it because they think there cool, because they saw it on tv or because they think it makes a good noise! But both methods seem to have something to do with keeping the engine revs up.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

The only real advantage of Double-Clutching is that it makes your gearbox and its components last a bit longer. But you end up using more fuel. So advantages might be cancelled out in the long run.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR8(EF) & XR8BOSS290 Ute(FG)

NSW, Australia

Double clutch advantages, none. makes a gear change take longer. something for truck drivers or people in fiats (only god knows why they do it for). Maybe you would do this if you sincro's were rooted.

Flat shift or change, good for pulling 2nds & 3rds if your car dont have enough nuts to spin in these gears. Good for thrashing your drive line. Although some cars are set up with a kill swich mechanism that kills the spark (usually) for a split second when you put the clutch in (so the donk dont over rev), this is of advantage to turbo cars as you dont close the TB slowing up the turbo on the gear change.

Better off with not enough traction than not enough power.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Double clutching, as above, used when high loads on vehicle and helps match the speed of the gears so they mesh better... very important in the days before synchromesh.

"Granny shifting, not double clutchin like ya should...." never heard of double clutching in drag racing??!?

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
The only real advantage of Double-Clutching is that it makes your gearbox and its components last a bit longer. But you end up using more fuel. So advantages might be cancelled out in the long run.

I better clarify this, double clutching in a syncro gearbox wont make anything last longer, most likely the opposite as the syncros cop a hiding, real double clutching is of no advantage unless your syncros have failed, saying this a syncro gearbox uses helical cut gears (only used because they are quieter than straight cut) and is much harder to get the gearbox gear speeds matched up, that is what the syncros do (leave them to do their job), real double clutching just wears out the syncros.

Depressing the clutch and revving the engine isn't double clutching, the only benefit from doing this is if going down gears it closer matches the engine speed in which the engine will do when clutch is engaged again, and of course "only V8s sound good doing this".

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Double clutching or rev matching is a sound principal to employ when making a down change from an already moderate engine speed. ie 3rd to second at 70 k's whilst driving hard.

By rev matching you limit weight transferance due to more even engine braking and also limit the chance of a compression lock-up.

I have never ever heard of rev matching hurting synchro's at all? You are essentially just assisting them in thier job and as long as you are not placing any pressure on the shifter whilst adjusting revs, how are the synchro's being effected?

My two cents!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR8(EF) & XR8BOSS290 Ute(FG)

NSW, Australia

You can rev match your change with out doing the double shuffle, its just meant for really heavy duty (truck) gearboxes.

Better off with not enough traction than not enough power.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

No point in it at all, unless your car weighs 10 tonne, pullin 3 , doin a dollar ten down sesame street., pointless fast and furious crap.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next