Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Install of Explorer manifolds
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Hi guys,
Just wondering if someone has a "jargon free" tech doco of how to install the explorer manifolds? I need to know exactly what to do and how to do it. Possibly Barnacus could help as i see he has done the same.
EG how to modify and install my original TPS into the explorer, where to drill the hole in number five runner?? etc etc, anything else. Pics would be great too.

Finally getting around to installing it as i need to put the new injectors in so may do the whole lot at the same time.

Cheers,
Mason

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Post subject: Re: Install of Explorer manifolds
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Use the "follow the bouncing ball" theme. It's been a long while since I did this and I cannot remember each step so just use the following as a loose guide. Assuming you have a handle on simple mechanical concepts and you're not mechanically retarded follow these steps:
1)Disconnect the wiring from your fuel pump and start the car. It will stop shortly later. Drop your coolant.
2)Disconnect your throttle cable. 8mm 1/4' socket works well. Remove the black and white(salt and pepper) loom plugs off the rear of the upper intake and pull them apart(separate them)
3)Disconnect the breather pipe off your throttle body and all wiring to it and the EGR valve(vacuum hose off the EGR too)
4)Disconnect your brake booster hose and reach behind the inlet manifold and disconnect the PCV from the lower inlet.
5)Remove all the upper to lower intake bolts and lift off the upper intake, throttle body and EGR.
6)use a rolled up bit of plastic from a coke bottle and slide the rolled up plastic tube into the fuel connections to the fuel rail. These can be hard to play with first up. The idea is to push the rolled up bit of plastic along the fuel line and into the connection whilst trying to pull(separate) the connection apart.
7)Remove the small heater hoses off the water pipes on the lower intake manifold. Disconnect the climate control coolant temp sensor plug off your black coolant pipe, air charge temp sensor and temp gauge sendor wires. Also disconnect your injector harness from the main harness. Remove the lower intake to head bolts. Take note of the large eyelet that is an earth lead which is under one of the firewall end manifold bolts(can't remember which side). Remove the lower intake.
8)Assuming you will be retaining your throttle body, injectors fuel rails etc, remove and re-fit to your explorer intake manifold. I retained the AU black coolant pipes on my setup as my ED coolant pipes were corroded and I didn't plan on retaining the EGR setup.
9)You will need to play around iwth the vacuum tree under the upper intake with the explorer. I used some plastic and brass tee pieces to do this.

Perhaps anyone here with recent experience such as castlegreyskull could add to this or correct where I have gone wrong. Well worth the effort too, your car will breathe a heap better.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

you will need 2 more long bolts. ho uses 4 short and 2 long. explorer has 4 long and 2 short.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cheers for that, i will be using 24lb injectors and the entire AU setup (throttle body etc) so not keeping the old stuff. I read somewhere that i have to drill some thing somewhere on the number 5 runner? My dads the mechanic but has not played with an injection system on late model falcons, so any help is great.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i understand you can put the iat into the intake between maf and t/b. i think au's were done this way. mine was already pre drilled by previous owner or whoever had it before him. if you are using the au t/b you will need to file the blade of the tps mechanism down so the sensors can fit on top. you may also need to elongate the holes slightly to fit and to allow more accurate adjustment. i had to get some new screws too as the eb ones were too narrow.

only had to run 1 t piece in the vacuum lines along the firewall. i'm not running any of the egr setup so that got rid of a few. how soon will you be doing the conversion? i'm pulling mine apart on the w/end to fix a noisy lifter and some oil leaks so can take some pics if you want.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB Wagon V8

NSW, Australia

Hi,
Unsure if I can help, but here a couple of web pages I have found. I had a search for these as I picked up a early Explorer/GT40 lower and upper intake manifolds, with EGR. The first web page does give a good explanation of the different manifold. Although, at the moment all of the photos have gone missing. You may have a search your self and find the web page with the photos. But by memory they did give you a good explanation of the different manifolds. The second web page (again from the US) gives light on how to change the manifold. I will admit that I have not read in detail the second web page, it may or may not be helpful to you.

web page 1: http://forums.stangnet.com/551505-freak ... other.html

web page 2: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/614.shtml

cheers,
jase

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Yeah some pictures would be great mate, i will be doing it as soon as my new injectors arrive from the states (2 weeks). So yeah some visual info on how it is all setup would be awesome. Cheers for those links too, will have a look at those now

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

here's what i did with the vacuum lines that run along the firewall.

the red line i'm holding goes to the manifold and the bit hanging down goes to the fuel rail. i got rid of all egr stuff on mine

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Did you put that red line in or is it standard (does it come on the HO?) I have 2 big black tubes coming off the Explorer and thats it, with a 2 pipes with no tubes attached also. Sounds a bit daunting to me as i have not taken it off yet, but i suppose i will figure it out! Will post up here if i have any trouble, apart from the TPS mod, is there anything else i will need to instal that is not obvious, such as any other sensors etc?

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i can't remember but its just a vacuum line. any will do the job as long as it fits on the manifold. have you checked the other thread on here regarding explorer hoses. the 2 larger main ones go to pcv at the rear of the lower, and the brake booster. the one off the plenum goes to the pcv on mine and the one from the middle goes to the brake booster. the other smaller ones are for the lines i'm holding in that pic. one also comes out toward the front and connects to a pipe similar looking to the fuel line and goes down in front of the airbox. charcoal canister or something?

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Alrighty, Yeah i was just looking at the other thread, looks helpful. I will have a crack at it and see how i go, will post up again if i screw it. There is a s**t load of oil coming out of one of the hoses on the back of the Explorer, is that normal? Had to degrease and water blast the manifolds today as there is oil and crap all through them for some reason.....

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: isuzu 5.0

Oustide Australia

Sound like that crankcase was'nt venting well, that is why the extra oily mess. Try oven cleaner to clean it up. Re-torque in sequence the lower intake after engine warms up. Be sure to change your oil after swap and check for water in the oil the next few days, if so tighten again. Don't over torque, if it still leaks, you have to open it up again -gasket.

One Explorer intake had a boss to drill and tap on #5, the second did not.
Some T/B's will accept ACT sensor(US), not sure there(AU).

Some Explorer fuel rails don't have return to tank line. Swap to the one you need, they line up the same. 19# injectors are fine for the stock setup airflow, you might need to tweek the computer pulse length for the 24# or it might run rich.

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Workman wrote:
Sound like that crankcase was'nt venting well, that is why the extra oily mess. Try oven cleaner to clean it up. Re-torque in sequence the lower intake after engine warms up. Be sure to change your oil after swap and check for water in the oil the next few days, if so tighten again. Don't over torque, if it still leaks, you have to open it up again -gasket.

One Explorer intake had a boss to drill and tap on #5, the second did not.
Some T/B's will accept ACT sensor(US), not sure there(AU).

Some Explorer fuel rails don't have return to tank line. Swap to the one you need, they line up the same. 19# injectors are fine for the stock setup airflow, you might need to tweek the computer pulse length for the 24# or it might run rich.

Cheers for the info, will keep that in mind, turning out to be not so simple as i thought haha. What did the tap on #5 look like, and by tap what do you mean? I have a brass plug at the front rhs of the lower inlet. I will be using my current fuel rails. Only reason i am swapping to the 24lb inj is the GT ECU will run my car lean if i don't as it is tuned for 24lb. How do i tweek or test the pulse?

Cheers

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

XFWAGON wrote:
I have a brass plug at the front rhs of the lower inlet.
Cheers

that will be where your coolant temp sensor goes.

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

prydey wrote:
XFWAGON wrote:
I have a brass plug at the front rhs of the lower inlet.
Cheers

that will be where your coolant temp sensor goes.

awesome, i'm slowly piecing this together in my head, it will click soon...hopefully. I was just looking at your thread you have when you did yours, so correct me if i'm wrong,
but here is what i have so far, i have just quickly mocked up your picture;

Attachments:
explorer1.jpg
explorer1.jpg [ 282.61 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next