Fordmods Logo

Issues with 302W EFI after conversion - Any help ???? please 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Issues with 302W EFI after conversion - Any help ???? please
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:52 am 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

Hey guys,
I had completed a conversion in my Rangie. Pulled out the 5.0 out of my EF Fairmont.

BUT !!! It wont run right. When it's cold, it fires, then stalls about 3 or 4 times, then nearly stalls, revs rise up a bit, then dies off nearly to the point of stalling again, this happens for about 30 seconds, slowly smothing out to a VERY rough, but reasonabley consistant idle. It revs out fine and smooth, hold revs fine also, and smooth.
I have put the multimeter on the O2 sensors, and they're all over the place. Ranging from anywhere between over +1 Volt to -.8V. Doesn't seem to make a lick of difference in the running of it of they're connected or not.
TPS is working fine, as is the MAF, according to what the Ellery's manual says with voltage outputs
Doesn't really blow much black smoke, nothing that is too noticable, but with it running for a while with the shed door closed, does get pretty fumey :lol:
What other areas should I be looking at ?

I have a video, but having trouble getting the sound to work. I will try and post up a vid later if it helps.

Cheers !!

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Going by that pic, your battery is disconnected! Haha...

On a serious note, you're using all the wiring and ECU out of the Fairmont? The Hegos are supposed to jump around a fair bit, but off the top of my head I don't remember what the range should be. Check for vacuum leaks or any unmetered air geting in there. Also, check the grounds for the hegos, in fact, check all your grounds. Are the hegos new, or did you just put the old ones in? I think if they go over 1v, they may be cactus. If they're no good then you'll be running very rich which could explain the fuminess. In saying that, if you're running lean it can be very fumy as well.

The best person to speak to would be XR9UTE as he's very knowledgable on this kind of stuff.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

Cheers, thanks buddy.
Yep, used the loom and ECU, actually out of an ELII XR8 (that motor is now in the fairmont), the earth for the HEGO's is straight back to the battery, as with all the earths for the ECU. According the the Ellery's I think said between .1 and -.08 ?? They are the old one's from my fairmont, but would only be about 20,000k's old, worked fine in that.
I have checked for vacum leaks as that crossed my mind, may have to look a bit harder around the back of the manifold and underneath it..... there is too much crap in the way to see properly :shock:

Thanks !

Shayne

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:53 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Sounds like a vac leak.
Also check you haven't directly connected your EGR valve vac line directly to vacuum. It needs to go to the EVR first(I can't see it in the pic but that doesn't mean it's not there)....this happens a lot when conversions are done. Also check your Canister Purge line is attached to the intake.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Sounds like a vac leak.
Also check you haven't directly connected your EGR valve vac line directly to vacuum. It needs to go to the EVR first(I can't see it in the pic but that doesn't mean it's not there)....this happens a lot when conversions are done. Also check your Canister Purge line is attached to the intake.

Hey buddy how are ya ?
Thanks mate, I think that may be my problem, as I never bothered with the EGR stuff, ( Is that all the crap on the drivers side guard ?)
At the moment I have the canister purge blocked off. I am using the Range Rover canister, just havn't had a chance to buy some hose fitting to go from 3/8 to 5/16 hose.
What exactly does the EGR and EVR do ?

Cheers mate,
Shayne

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:46 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED EF and AU V8s

WA, Australia

EGR is exhaust gas reculation, and if its open all the time, will let the exhaust gas flow back into your intake. its used to stop combustion hence controling emmisons.

so just try leaving it disconected. its the big valve thing that is on the EGR spcaer inbetween the manifold and t/b

Too many cars atm

ED sprint
EF Fairmont V8
AU ghia V8

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

nicskitz wrote:
EGR is exhaust gas reculation, and if its open all the time, will let the exhaust gas flow back into your intake. its used to stop combustion hence controling emmisons.

so just try leaving it disconected. its the big valve thing that is on the EGR spcaer inbetween the manifold and t/b

Thanks mate,
I will try that tomorrow. Question though, how does the EGR work ? I'm failing to see how it controls how much exhaust flow through the intake........ Where does the gases come from ?

Cheers.
Shayne

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

range rover...

theres ya problem. lol

as people have said it certainly sound like a vacum problem. any hissing or wierd noises when the motor is running or turning over?

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED EF and AU V8s

WA, Australia

peachey80 wrote:

Thanks mate,
I will try that tomorrow. Question though, how does the EGR work ? I'm failing to see how it controls how much exhaust flow through the intake........ Where does the gases come from ?

Cheers.
Shayne

There is passegers in your heads and intake manifold for the gas to flow up into. the valve ususaly open at higher rpm or under load etc,

Too many cars atm

ED sprint
EF Fairmont V8
AU ghia V8

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

Froudey wrote:
range rover...

theres ya problem. lol

as people have said it certainly sound like a vacum problem. any hissing or wierd noises when the motor is running or turning over?

ha ha ha, yeah I have been told that... :P

No hissing noises at all, can't hear a vacum leak. Although it probably would be hard to hear if there was with a pod on it.

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

nicskitz wrote:
peachey80 wrote:

Thanks mate,

Cheers.
Shayne

There is passegers in your heads and intake manifold for the gas to flow up into. the valve ususaly open at higher rpm or under load etc,

Interesting, there you go. I reckon that's my problem.
Will let you know how it goes. I'm guessing I can leave it disconnected, so with no power it remains closed ? Or would I be better off to plug up the 2 hoses that go to it, and the vacum line.

Cheers buddy.

Post subject: Woo Hoo !!!!
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

Thanks heaps guys !!!
I've been scratching my head for about a month trouble shooting. Pulled off the vacum line to the EGR, and whammo !!! the idle smoothed out to normal instantly. Starts and runs A1 !!!! :o

Now all I have to do is find some big sand dunes !!!!! :twisted:

Cheers, and thanks again !!!

Peachey .

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Fordmods wins this one ;)

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

ha ha ha, yeah mate, sure did. :P

Got that gearbox in yet ?

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Nah mate, will take me a while to gather the other parts i need (Bellhousing, s/motor, crossmember, clutch etc) so will be a month or two off yet.

Did you receive that speedo drive?

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next