More random things/ideas 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: More random things/ideas
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Alright, time for my V8 random ideas thread (Probably gonna make an interior one and maybe a driveline one too lol)

1) I've got an old Cleveland engine in the shed. What's the easiest way to tell if it's a 302 or a 351 or even a 400M?

2) What's a reasonable aftermarket type dissy to run in a cleveland that doesnt cost the earth? Or would I be better off to try to find an electronic factory dissy? (Currently has points)

3) What am I best to source a power steering pump and brackets and alternator from for my cleveland? It's likely to be going into an XD or similar.

4) If I want to run a cleveland on LPG, what's a good reccomended setup?

That's it for the cleveland q's, now I'll move onto some Windsor q's:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) I understand that the EFI windsors have the same bellhousing pattern as Clevelands and old Windsors, based on that, why cant I fit an earlier style gearbox to my EF and run, for example, a single rail?

2) The standard 5.0 Litre EFI p/s pump's a horrible peice of gear, can I replace it with something better?

3) Would the 5.0 run well if I got a carby manifold, drilled it for 8 injectors and fitted a central throttle body where the carby normally goes? Would the standard ECU (Perhaps with a J3) Run it properley?

That'll do for the V8 questions for the time being.

Gab

Post subject: Re: More random things/ideas
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

LOL. Sooo many questions.

The Pump - Its been in use since the XD at least. Its the C2 pump. Theyre actually rebuildable and you can get units over from the US for under $200 or so.
That said - The Panel Van Man on here makes kits to run a Commodore Saginaw pump (much more reliable apparently) on the existing C2 brackets. I looked at this extensively. Gets you better pressure etc. It is not the cheapest thing to do though.

LPG for Clevo - Have a look at my technocarb kit for sale in the for sale section. Theyre pretty hard to get hold of, but are pretty much the best out there for a 4bbl type application without going to injected. Next down would be GRA (although its hard to get a tune that works at all altitudes), then the Impco (425). Sprint Gas also did the Next Generation mixer - mixed results. Good answers are with CMS also as they have quite a bit of experience.

You can fit an earlier style gearbox to your windsor. You just need to make sure you run the correct flywheel for your Windsor so its balanced. do NOT use the clevo one.

and the final 5.0 question - The 5.0 wont run well with the Carby Manifold (Yeah , Ive been looking at this) with the standard ECU as you lack a MAF. There is one available from the US (Its a modified Chev unit) but its hideously expensive. You could then run a J3 with the MAF tables transfered.
If your running a non-electronic auto, then youd get away with a different ECU - based on TPS or MAP sensing perhaps but MAF is supposed to be the ducks guts.

Are you looking at a shaker? - Thats what I wanted on my XF (EFI 5.0 with 4 speed auto), and I couldnt get it the way I wanted :(

Nigel

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:43 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

1.Has the cleveland got original red rocker covers?if so it's a 302. i already told you about 351M/400's..they have a 1" taller deck height too.
2.Get a Ford duraspark dizzy from the U.S. and run a Crane Hi-6 with it.
3. wreckers
4. I've got my own design mixer that I used with an OMVL converter. Worked very well.

Windsor;
1. You can except starter is on the other side with obvious problems with E-series headers. You need a 50oz imbalance flywheel if you use an 11" 164T flywheel/bellhousing combo. If you use a 10.5" job you can use the stock 5.0 10.5" 157T flywheel.
2. You can but it means modifying the bracket to accept whatever you use.
3.You can but you just throw away all your bottom end torque. You can run the carb type t-body to an inlet tube and run the MAF which is the only way to run it properly.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Pete. Dont suppose you have a picture of your mixer design?

Also on the MAF - can the ford unit be shortened, and run vertically? - So Using say a Single plane manifold, then a Throttle Body, then the shortened MAF housing or is there air metering issues?

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:21 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

I'll see if I can find a pic.
You could shorten the MAF housing but you'd need to be careful not create turbulence by doing so.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:45 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Haven't got an idividual shot but I used it on both the 351W & C ....

and a crappier shot on the cleveland...

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ok.. .so whats on the inside there? - a ring? - I gather its not a s**t 42mm...

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:41 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

It's 70mm I.D. and there's two 19mm I.D. gas feeds.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Mmmmm. That would be much easier to tune than the Variable one Im using now...
... Any issues at Idle?

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:19 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Idle was a piece-o-piss. You can vary the gas flow by moving the gas feeds in or out too.
In fact the guy I took it to for tuning on his dyno is a gas fitter, and he thought it was great. I was gearing up to make them for sale but with the advent of LPi I thought it would just die in the a***.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]