Fordmods Logo

TPS for V8, how much/where from? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: TPS for V8, how much/where from?
Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, had something weird happen other day, as if car could choose gear or didnt know what throttle i was using..

Went and got it checked out and trans came up 100% and very very healthy for 1998 ford auto, but TPS is said to be the cause after really long drives when it warms up.

So basically I have got it booked in for next wed, but the quite i was given was $350-400 for each one, and aparently is a twin TPS on these!

Now to me it seems expensive, but not having had to do this before on the v8 i would have no clue what it costs, how hard it is.

Anyone that could spead some light on the issue would be thanked, really dont know if it should cost that much!

Thanks in advance! :lol:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EDV8 Fairmont

WA, Australia

Somewhere between $80 - $100 each is trade price ( that's what I paid last week).
The lower TPS for engine should be set at ideally 0.98v and the upper one for auto at 0.7v. Try to set to those first before committing to new ones.
I reset my auto TPS to 0.7v and all fixed. You may need to elongate holes with small round file.
If this works, then fine otherwise grab new ones but not at prices you have quoted.
The phillips head screws securing the TPSs are not the best. You will find it worthwhile to get cap screws with internal hex fo allen key.

Richie.

1993 ED F/mont 5.0L, Auto, Edelbrock RPM's, CompCam XE276HR, Crane Gold Race 1.7's, Edelbrock Performer, 75mm T/B, MAP, 42lb , GenIII coils, PH4000's , Twin 2.5", Thermos & underspeeds, 3.7 LSD, 2800 stall and MoTec M800, 372fwhp @ 5400rpm & 387 ft-lb @ 4400 rpm.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

I believe the FBT won't need adjusting as it comes with the larger TB already fitted at the factory and as such, will only ever need to be replaced if it is faulty. For us people installing larger TB's, we do need to adjust the TPS's to get that voltage.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Interesting, will get a quote from my usual mech tomorrow too, see what he says about it as hes always looked after me.

I pulled the tps apart to have a looksee, but i dont know anthing about them to be honest, everything seemed fine but i couldnt measure he voltage as my tools ave gone walk abouts (bloody women cleaning in places they shouldnt!)

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I would actually run both TPS at .9-.95. This seems to be the sweet spot for both throttle response and auto changing. The reason for the inflated cost may be that the part no is a FBT(GT??) and as such Fraud charge ridicolous amounts for said parts. You could possibly use standard E series parts with the appropiate mods to achieve the required voltage.

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Dont they have the same twin TPS and just different TB?

Am I mistaken?

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL FBT #079

VIC, Australia

I replaced both the TPS on mine a while ago to try to rectify a intermittent problem where the trans doesn't always kick down to first.

I definately didn't pay anything like what you have been quoted though.

I will have a look through my receipts and try to find the one where I purchased them to see what price they were.

The ones that Ford sold me were the same ones as a standard V8, hopefully they were correct. I don't seem to be able to get the correct voltages out of them though.

Incidentally the TPS didn't fix my fault, and the transmission place I go to tells me that there is nothing wrong with it.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Mine has an intermittent issue with dropping into 3rd when cruising at say 100kmhr with only minimal throttle increase (not needing a gear change) and then goes back into 4th, stupid thing.

Only does it rarely, so tranny shop had look over trans n said it was one of the better ones they seen and assures me its not the trans, ive had it serviced 4 times in the passed 2years so i hope its ok lol!

Then he had a fiddle with the tps and notticed a slighly rough idle every now and then, said tps.. so lets hope its this!

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL FBT #079

VIC, Australia

If I can find the TPS that I took off the car - which I assume are o.k. since it made no difference - you are more than welcome to try them to see if it helps you.

I have enlongated the holes to try to get the voltage as per the instructions found on here but I still couldn't get it right.

Not sure if the FBT / GT is supposed to run a different voltage.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The reason i brought up the possible differences is due to the GT/FBT having the larger TB. Mattronics, if you are at the drag day, i can set them correctly for you, shouldn't be a drama. Vic watched me do Daves(offyaguts) after the last All Ford Day. It made a big difference to the way his car drove
Brett

Member#1131

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Agreed.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

How exactly DO you adjust/set these?

When I pulled it apart, there wasnt really anthing to them and certainly nothing to adjust?

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The mounting holes that the bolts pass through need to be elongated so that the sender can be rotated left/right depending on weather it is reading high or low. I dont remember which way, but the multimeter will reveal it.
Brett

Member#1131

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Daniel wrote:
How exactly DO you adjust/set these?

When I pulled it apart, there wasnt really anthing to them and certainly nothing to adjust?

It's not the internals, its the setting of the protruding fin that changes the voltage, hence the need to swivel the TPS until the voltmeter shows the target voltage. Problem is that the TPS doesn't have the ability to swivel in stock form but you can widen the mounting bolt holes on the TPS which will allow some swivel movement.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]